What's new
What's new

What is a good compressor 3-5 HP made in the US?

Shaybuilder

Cast Iron
I have a IR 30T 10HP but I don't want it on a 24-7 pressure switch on account of the noise at night. I just had my 52 year old 3HP Speed-air go out and want to replace it with a decent compressor. It will be indoors and on a 24-7 pressure switch. Any good brands currently? I was looking at a US made compressor that was mentioned on this forum recently but can't find it in the search.

Thanks
Ken

If quiet is what you want, maybe this place has something for you. I've just seen their ads, which are low-budget. Hope their equipment is better.

I have a IR 30T 10HP but I don't want it on a 24-7 pressure switch on account of the noise at night. I just had my 52 year old 3HP Speed-air go out and want to replace it with a decent compressor. It will be indoors and on a 24-7 pressure switch. Any good brands currently? I was looking at a US made compressor that was mentioned on this forum recently but can't find it in the search.

Thanks
Ken
I just bought (6months ago) a 7.5 hP Ingersol Rand
when i received the Compressor it came without a oil plug ,I call Ingersol and had to fill out a form and email a form to some third party to attempt to get the Plug , Well six months latter all i got was a email asking how Ingersol rand service was..
Three weeks ago the contactor burns out , same deal fill out form and wait .Well i could not wait so i had my local guy fix it,(still waiting for Ingersol to call me back)
Plus there is supposedly Three Ingersol service centers near me (which did weigh heavily in my chouce of product)
Oh and for the Final Kick in the teeth there is a big sticker on machine "MADE IN INDIA"
just my input

Last edited:
I just bought (6months ago) a 7.5 hP Ingersol Rand
when i received the Compressor it came without a oil plug ,I call Ingersol and had to fill out a form and email a form to some third party to attempt to get the Plug , Well six months latter all i got was a email asking how Ingersol rand service was..
Three weeks ago the contactor burns out , same deal fill out form and wait .Well i could not wait so i had my local guy fix it,(still waiting for Ingersol to call me back)
Plus there is supposedly Three Ingersol service centers near me (which did weigh heavily in my chouce of product)
Oh and for the Final Kick in the teeth there is a big sticker on machine "MADE IN INDIA"
just my input
Our Ingersol Rand screw compressor came with faults related to it having overcurrent and dropped phase faults dated nearly a year before we powered it up. The built in air dryer leaked out all of its refrigerant within 18 months, and the compressor itself leaks oil out of everything.
Our 5hp Ingersol Rand compressor was okay for the most part but more expensive than the competitors and really nothing special. The pressure switch failed shorted about a year in, and the oil it came with was thick enough in the cold that the compressor physically could not start in a 45 degree environment.
We received no help from Ingersol Rand on any issues whatsoever. We will never be buying anything from them ever again.

Our Ingersol Rand screw compressor came with faults related to it having overcurrent and dropped phase faults dated nearly a year before we powered it up. The built in air dryer leaked out all of its refrigerant within 18 months, and the compressor itself leaks oil out of everything.
Our 5hp Ingersol Rand compressor was okay for the most part but more expensive than the competitors and really nothing special. The pressure switch failed shorted about a year in, and the oil it came with was thick enough in the cold that the compressor physically could not start in a 45 degree environment.
We received no help from Ingersol Rand on any issues whatsoever. We will never be buying anything from them ever again.
We purchased two Ingersol Rand Unigy 15 H.P. rotary screw compressors brand new with driers. Both have been removed out of service in less than 1-1/2 years service, Ingersol tech service was at best horrible. As they were both under warranty and these jokers could not keep one or the other running for more then a month at a time.
Six months out of warranty we pulled both out of service and hauled them to our bone yard. Replaced them with Kaesers absolutely no problems since.
I understand your shopping for a small recep compressor I just wanted to share my I/R experience
One of my employees purchased a new 5 HP- I/R for his home shop, turned out there was a casting problem in the crank case, compressor oil actually leaked through the casting. We also found out the reed valves are retained with sheet metal screws. Pure Junk
For recep compressors here we have used American made Kellogg Americans before they shipped manufacturing out to China, they would run forever, never a problem.
As Kelloggs are China now and we added on to one of the shops that did not require the volume of a rotary, we recently purchased Quincy QP recip compressors.
It's been almost two years now with zero problems, made in America. although I am not sure if there smaller HP compressors are.

Most everything in this thread is made overseas, at most assembled here or maybe they put the stickers on here?

I think Quincy might make some of their small compressors in USA, but they shitcanned their old reliable stuff and redesigned some new cheap stuff over the last few years.

BTW, I recently sold a NOS Quincy QR25 series 325 5HP single phase 80 gallon compressor made 100% in USA 22 years ago in 2000 for $4500.

I like my PUMA compressor. I think it was made in the US except for the motor which was a Brazilian WEG. I put a US made Baldor 5hp on it.
Looking now at their website I doubt much is made here. Hard to tell.

Last edited:
It's funny right after I posted my rant about how bad I/R compressors are my Quincy rep stops by to see me. I asked him about the small Quincy recep compressors.
Here's the dirt, The 5 hp and up QP line is built at Bay Minette, Alabama. The compressor end is rated for a minimum of 60,000 hours runtime under load.
Yes, there not cheap, but doesn't a person get tired of repairing/changing out compressors far to often. Just my 2 cents.

Wow. We had a 15 hp Sullair, made somewhere in the south down by guangzhou, it ran about 18 hours a day for the 2 1/2 years I was there, never a single hiccup. Summertime there is hot and humid, makes Houston look like a breezy picnic area. Hard on compressors.

Sullair is a smaller company, I think the ones they sell in the US are made in US ? I was pretty happy with ours, one of the few things in the shop that never gave any trouble.

Thanks all. I am looking at a Eaton, supposedly completely made in the US..

Ken
Eaton, unless they recently changed, are NOT completely made in USA. I believe pumps have been made in India for at least the past 10 years. A certain hot rodding forum even had a lawsuit or protest over Eaton claiming USA made, when the very heart of the compressors were not.

I know the pumps Eaton imports started showing up in many brands, and Eaton themselves has sold under different names. I bought my Eaton made compressor under the "EMax" name, a 27 CFM 2-stage, 7.5hp that is very powerful for my needs. It is carefully marked "Tank Made in USA", but the pump is India. The small finned intake runners (if that's the correct name) aligned quite poorly, one of them requiring me re-machining it to mate with the cylinder casting, so it would stop blowing the cloth/paper/tar/sludge mixture that resembled a primitive gasket. And the entire pump assembly was coated in an almost hardened tar, covering very dirty looking rough casting. This I know because of the runner disassembly/cleaning/machining/repair.

The relief valves all appeared to be very primitive, visually much worse than a Harbor Freight special. Threads not even on the same plane as the body. After one of those blew apart and I actually looked closely, I replaced all of them ASAP. Those relief valves looked SCARY.

I do not mean to discredit the company, and my compressor works. It does, however, not get anything remotely close to continual use. I am pleased with the low RPM and the great CFM/SCFM. I was, however, disappointed with the fit and finish of the pump. Nothing remotely close to Rol-Air, IR, or even Home Depot brand compressor pumps. My EMax/Eaton pump looks very primitive up close.

They may be improved upon now, since I bought this one 8 years ago.

Last edited:

Back