What's new
What's new

What is a Hardinge HLV-H EM

Like the tittle says
I have this nice looking but oh so dirty HLV-H for sale
It has both metric and Imperial threading without gearchange
But not the dual (metric/imperial)dials
Does that make it a HLV-H EM or not ?

Also any clue of a price tag I can put on it once i have it cleaned and serviced
I want it to be a fair price for both me and the customer
I am in Europe but have sold HLV-H worldwide That is what I like about them. International market

Peter

1200.jpg 1200a.jpg

Just looked at the serial number of my HLV-H and it does have that as the model then the serial number. What does yours say? One thought it could be a transition model before the EM moniker became permanent? Maybe an EM model someone substituted standard dials? Sorry, no answer just questions.

30-second time-out. Get the key out of the chuck! Makes me cringe. I don't know how many times I've yelled at high school shop students doing the same thing, including one who launched the key across the room doing that. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

S/N HLV-H 693/2295
YOM is 1988
I read that the HLV-H EM just has HLV-H as a model No mentioning of EM
So I wondered where the EM came from
It probably stands for Englisch Metric
But is that for threading or dual dials
I am not fond of those dual dials Something that can break and with a DRO completly obsolete

Any brochure around mentioning the HLV-H EM ??

Peter

30-second time-out. Get the key out of the chuck! Makes me cringe. I don't know how many times I've yelled at high school shop students doing the same thing, including one who launched the key across the room doing that. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Picture is from the seller
It is out by now

Peter

S/N HLV-H 693/2295
YOM is 1988
I read that the HLV-H EM just has HLV-H as a model No mentioning of EM
So I wondered where the EM came from
It probably stands for Englisch Metric
But is that for threading or dual dials
I am not fond of those dual dials Something that can break and with a DRO completly obsolete

Any brochure around mentioning the HLV-H EM ??

Peter

I have a "94 brochure for the HLV-DR
Digital Read out
Carriage dial inch only
Cross Slide Dial inch only
Compound slide I think(Inch/Metric)
Tailstock inch/metric
Gear box Inch /Metric 72 different threads

'94 brochure for the HLV-H
27 threads in the gear box, all dials inch only

EM model may be from different years? How stamped, no clue.

I saw a freshly rebuilt one at a machine rebuilder's place before it was delivered to the customer. That was 4 years ago and I did not take any notes. The rebuilder did show me how the inch/metric dial worked, then we looked at something else.

Probably does not help that much but it is all I got.

Last edited:
In 94 when I got the 2 brochures the EM may have been discontinued. Thought someone else would have been able to fill in the blanks. I paid $20,000USD about 25 years ago for my HLV-H and paid several thousand for a pile of metric change gears and a special quadrant. It was a tight machine then (still is) and was worth it to me.
If your machine is reasonably tight and accurate sounds more than fair.

A few years ago a link was posted here to an almost unused HLV-H with a $40,000 asking price. I said then it was a sweet deal. Last new ones made by Hardinge were $80K. If it was a sports car the last new old stock unit would have sold for a premium over the original list price.

Last edited:
I have a 1977 Hardinge brochure that describes the HLV-EM (EM for English/Metric). It has a "dual gearbox" for cutting both inch and metric threads. The carriage hand wheel, cross slide, compound and tailstock all have "dual dials" with sliding covers so that either inch or millimeter graduations will show (but not both at the same time.)

Then I have a 1986 brochure that includes a description of the HLV-DR. In this brochure Hardinge speaks of "inch/millimeter" rather than "English/Metric". The HLV-DR has the same dual gear box as featured on the HLV-EM. Its inch/millimeter dials differ from those on the HLV-EM in that they lack the sliding covers; both inches and millimeters show at the same time. And the HLV-DR included digital readout as standard equipment; hence "HLV-DR". This brochure shows the Acu-Rite III digital readout.

David

I need some parts for the machine Babin is reluctant to sell as he is affraid of anything metric
I need the bedwipers and a solenoid for the brake

But the problem seems to be the rackpinion
Whether it is the same as the amarican version Mine has a metric dial
So here I want the help of PM
I measured over a distance of 24 teeth That gave ±87.8mm is ±3.456"
Wich DP does that result in ??
Is that the same as with the inch dial machines ??

Peter

if it were 87.05mm, it would be exactly 22DP, which is the pitch for all the gears and racks in non-metric lathes. 87.8mm

87.8 sounds like a very strange number unless it is a bastard pitch to give a sensible metric advance using the standard/US gear ratios in the apron gearbox.

My HLV (no -H) shows 0.6" per handwheel revolution with a 22DP rack.

I measured by eye so 87.05 is possible
I measure more accurate and see if that number matches
The gears inside the apron must make up for the metric dial if the rack is 22DP
Thanks Mark

Peter

Back