What's new
What's new

What is the best way to secure wifi?

I was going to say the same thing. Seems like that post is setting up the spam post that is coming, no doubt.

Although... they did join a year ago almost to the day.

Like sitting on the porch, watching the bug zapper on a hot summer night.....:crazy:

I'm rapidly approaching a pure hatred of wifi and anything computer related....

IMO, what lies at the bottom of it is not so much hackers but the 'greed and stupid' that is the core of every ISP and otherwise 'internet' related company. They have a 50% interest in providing a service/product and a 50% interest in being sneaky. If they weren't spending half their time being sneaky, they'd have a lot more time to provide a product that works well.
Started with Mickeysoft, later embraced and enhanced by Apple and then Google. All of it shit. But they all "won in the marketplace !"

What's that say about the Marketplace ? :(

I agree with thermite re WiFi as a security risk. Many companies I've worked with won't allow any computer used for company business to access WiFi, which is only provided as a convenience to customers and employees using personal devices such a smart phones.

At home I have no WiFi and hardwired all network connections. The only WiFi I have is a plug-in device used a a VERY temporary hotspot for eReader updates. When it's in use I sit right there monitoring traffic carefully and shut down as soon as done.

Hey, So, this is my first post here. I have been visting this site for quite a time now, but have never posted here. I am asking this question here because the community is very engaging, empathetic and wants to genuinely help others. So, the issue is we recently faced hacking attempts in our home network. We faced damages in terms of data loss, hijack our usernames and passwords, ruin credits, make purchases etc. I am not a techy savvy person, now we are trying taking to safety precautions but still I want to implement some sort of application or system which can secure our home network and minimize hacking attempts and stop intruders. Is there a way, technique or method to secure my network being a non technical person,

TIA

There was a very interesting article in this month's Modern Machine Shop issue regarding cybersecurity. It was specifically how it relates to the new regulations from DoD and defense contracting shops. The level of security needed is quite a bit higher than your usual mom and pop shop. It is called CMMC cybersecurity requirements and I believe any shop handled classified or DoD (maybe ITAR?) materials will be required to comply with these new regulations. Data handling is one of the largest pieces of the puzzle. Even remoting into your work PC from home opens up a security can of worms.

Most shops I know of don't have a dedicated IT person or team. We do, but that is unusual. Securing a network involves A LOT more than just have an un-crackable WiFi passcode. A friend of mine actually lost her job during COVID not because of COVID related layoffs...what happened was that the shop got hit with a ransomware attack and they had to pay the piper...well naturally they ended up liquidating half their machine tools and firing everybody so they could restructure the business. Those poor Mazak Integrexs had no idea what hit them!

I assume that no one wants that to happen! I would recommend reading the article I mentioned - it is full of good info Cybersecurity Becomes a CNC Machining Prerequisite |

Modern Machine Shop

Additionally, as you say you aren't a tech savvy person, I highly recommend hiring an IT security consultant to asses your needs regarding network security. These are things that are often overlooked as a business owner or proprietor, but I would argue that they are literally one of the most important facets of a business in the modern era.

Threats come from all angles - phishing, hacking, ransomware, the list goes on and on. You don't want to end up as a statistic

EDIT: I will add along with the others that WiFi is the weakest link in a network...as in, anyone can brute force their way in without that much effort. Hardwiring any device makes this a lot harder.

I'm not sure how many have their cellphone attached to the cell network with a cable. THAT is a wireless network. To say they cannot be secure no matter what, is an exaggeration. Steps do need to be taken, and the realization that bugs can render a network vulnerable at any time requires all network admins to keep up to date with patching, etc. It's not a perfect world, but take intelligent steps to back up what you consider to be valuable, as it could be lost to ransomware or hackers at any time.

Incidentally, hackers share lists of common passwords and know what to try first. So don't use common passwords.

Wired networks are still vulnerable to phishing attacks through email attachments, so train yourself to never open any attachments that you did not request without realizing the risk involved. Do not update anything when the update is offered via a link, rather go to the publisher's website and update from there.

Additionally, as you say you aren't a tech savvy person, I highly recommend hiring an IT security consultant to asses your needs regarding network security. These are things that are often overlooked as a business owner or proprietor, but I would argue that they are literally one of the most important facets of a business in the modern era.

How much does a good IT security consultant cost?
How often do you need such to come in and go over your system?
Does no wiring at all to stuff mean safe? I leaned in the 80s that floppy disks could be a transmission vector.
I believe there was also a lesson in PLCs aimed at Iran.
Ideally we would all employ a few 6 figure paid people to sit and monitor the traffic all day and night.
But in the real world are you a target or is what you have worth the time and effort?
Bob

Face facts, your password does not gain security from being complex..... It's all just numbers, the cracking systems do not even know what makes sense to a human.

While this is true when "they" start brute-forcing your credentials, most hackers nowadays first use lookup-lists obtained elsewhere, with something like the most used 1.500.000 passwords. that's where using G^h5DFEG4rTt beats Welcome12345.

Hans

Actually listening to the OP, presuming it's a legitimate question, and using just reasonable sense may be quite different than some of the suggestions on the thread.

Distinguishing between business and personal requirements is one piece and it's good that the distinction is made in several posts.

However. The OP's report of his problems sounds like an uneducated individual falling afoul of his assumptions and naivete. Telling him/her to shitcan what they have, hire an IT consultant, and wire the whole house is similar to someone asking advice on how to take a certain measure and getting the blow-off recommendation to just buy a good high end CMM and a good CAD system and his problems are solved. The recommendation is all out of all proportion to the problem.

Good luck to the OP. If he was just somewhat confused before, he should be full up by now.

The OP says he has been broken. I'd like to know the hows here.
IMO this worry is very overblown and fed by things on the news and net that are like getting hit by lighting, winning the lottery. ect.
Accessing your wifi to watch videos videos does not give out your bank account passwords. Https and that little lock thing are a tad of help.
I am of the firm belief that nothing here cannot be broken. Yet is it worth a million dollars or so of effort to break your net connection? Ten thousand dollars, a thousand dollars?
Using a credit card at McDonalds or a local restaurant/ bar is a much higher risk which is why I carry cash.

"Telling him/her to shitcan what they have, hire an IT consultant, and wire the whole house".... no way I would ever recommend this so if that seen as advice in my posts.... no, no, no.
Maybe if your router box is way, way old a newer one might be good plus they are faster at not too much cost.
Yes I do have a 286, 386, 486 computers still running the shop. That seems dumb.
Bob

How much does a good IT security consultant cost?
Euro 1,000/day, portal-to-portal, first class air & limo, five star meals and lodging. Or so were our published rates as-of the early 1990's.

And we did NOT "do Windows". Then, now, nor "ever".

God nor the Devil couldn't secure anything "Microsoftish" even to win a bet over who gets to decide whether eternity is to be oven-fired, steamed, or merely pickled in brine.

:(

Which leaves you out of the manufacturing world because there is no other choice for cadcam.

Juvenile-delinquent amateur-hour horseshit.

CAD/CAM was not only "born on IBM mainframes", it made Boeing such a large USER they spun-off "BCS" as a revenue-earning commercial service for more than just a year or three. IBM, in turn, was Microsoft's largest-ever dealer, and knew more about WinWOES "guts" and how to FIX s**t, than Redmond did.

More than a few times "Big Blue" had to haul "Young Bill's" over-rated nuts out of a disaster for a major BANK..

"etc".

Child's play - then, now, or into the far future - to run MULTIPLE virtual instances of stripped-down to-essentials "headless" WinWOES (one STARTS by shedding about 70,000 bloatware files..) on a Unix hypervisor .. or even LeenSucks..

Guess what? WinWOES runs faster as a guest than it does on bare metal... because it is no longer ABLE to spend the whole freakling day masturbating cooties and picking it's nose in search of dinner.

Many LinSux instances up at a go on a mainframe? 300 or so do yah?

Here's a nickel, kid.

Go buy yerself a stick of bubble gum.

And a WinWOES "pee sea".

"Oh, by the way..?"

The bubble gum will do you more good and even be less trouble to get rid of.

I did just that the other day. I was having a battle with the system trying to access some online account.

In the end, after much gnashing of teeth and tantrum throwing...after being forced to change a password I'd had forever and didn't want to change.. I used "Ihatechanginepasswords"

So now everyone who knows your e-mail address can try logging into various different websites using said e-mail address and "Ihatechanginepasswords" until they find a server that lets them in.

:popcorn:

I suggest you change that password again post-haste.

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

So now everyone who knows your e-mail address can try logging into various different websites using said e-mail address and "Ihatechanginepasswords" until they find a server that lets them in.

And what good does that do?
So you do not have a password "IhatetheIRS99$" :)
If you would like to make my IRS 941 payments that would be fine by me.
Here is where the rubber meets the road, Knowing a login and password is a long way from useful moneymaking.
This information goes for sub pennies. I am sure many of my usernames and passwords to sites are out there floating around and that does not bother me in any shape or form.
Why does it scare so many? My wife is among this. Afraid she has been hacked every other week on phone and wants me to fix it.
There is money to be made in the protection racket just as in the old days. The fee not so big and it makes one feel safe and cozy with perhaps some overhead.
Bob

John McAfee in the news, RIP

News says he claimed he didn't use antivirus programs himself, so there's some perspective. Not sure you could always depend on McAfee's advice or opinions.

... getting hit by lighting...
I nearly got hit by lighting at school in 1963.

We were in an 1860s lecture room and I turned round in my seat to talk to the boy behind me. As I turned back there was a crash, and a large 1920s light fitting with a big glass shade smashed on the desk between us. Three seconds later and it would have been lights out for me.

The caretaker was summoned to clear up the broken glass, but I don't remember anything else ever being said about it.

George B.

Back