What's new
What's new

What is the capacity of this small tow motor ? (Pic)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
2500 ? 3000 ?
9FC0B4DE-026C-477A-9990-05EA6E4CE3CF.jpg

Would like one like this for home garage but need at least 3000 capacity

Looks like an old Allis Chalmers my friend has. IIRC his capacity plate is missing as well.

Friend of mine has had one of those in his shop since the mid 70's.

I would scrap it in a heartbeat and replace with something decent. Maybe when they were new they weren't horrible, but god that thing is a nightmare to use.

Those of congenitally weak wrist find there is no power steering,but I love the little things ...the tiny solid wheels give them lots of capacity without huge weight........lift 2 tons easy.....unfortunately ,they are kinda hard on 4" concrete slabs.

I'm confident that little beast would easily handle 3k. Especially if one is inclined to push the limits of the engineered safety factor.
My NAMCO is rated for 1900lbs. I have had well over 3000 on it.
3245 stacked 48" deep is where it teeters if I step off, LOL. (I only lift those shenanigans a few inches of the ground) I have even moved a 6k machine with it.
But I bet bigais is right on the money with the numbers.
And if it is rated 3k, in my experience, it will handle more. Probably significantly more with a competent operator. Smart move? maybe not from a legal view.
As mentioned, manual steering, sissy boys need not apply.

I do not know how steering works on a forklift. Would it be possible to add electrical power steering as can be done on farm tractors?
Bill D

Made to load and unload rail cars. Not much lifting height, but very strong lifter. Not a problem to steer, as long as steer axle is in good nick.

I do not know how steering works on a forklift. Would it be possible to add electrical power steering as can be done on farm tractors?
Bill D

Not sure about electrical, but hydraulic yes, and hopefully better than one of my employers had done. It was super twitchy, steering wheel held straight kept the wheels pointed wherever they were, slight turn right/left on the steering wheel got the wheels steering in that direction, if steering wheel was held too long they would go to extreme travel. That was the first forklift I learned to drive, it was used in the shop, major pain to maneuver in tight aisles.

Back