What's new
What's new

What is the in Internal Spindle Taper on a Whacheon WL-435 17"x40" Lathe with A1-6 Spindle?

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Good Afternoon,

I have done quite a bit of searching but I am not coming up with any solutions. I have a Webb/Whacheon (Korean made Mori Clone) WL-435 lathe and all the literature I have read including the owners manual say the internal spindle taper is MT6.

Thinking it meant Morse Taper, I was lucky to recently acquire a #6 Morse Taper Dead Center from a generous member on this forum. When I attempted to inert the center into the spindle, it only goes in about 1/2 the length. I then tried a Morse #5 Center and it passes straight through without making contact.

After searching and reading every post I could find, it seems the MT6 may mean Metric #6 which I never heard of? I also read that it might be a 20:1 taper?

I am hoping someone might know the specific taper and where I might acquire a center because it's obvious that it is not a Morse Taper and searching under MT#6 Metric center and 20:1 taper centers yielded bupkis.

Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

Joe

Last edited:
This may be of some help...
Bob

This may be of some help...
Bob
Thanks, I read that thread and will try to reach Victor Machinery. One of the links in the thread is dead which isn't a surprise considering it's from 2010.

Thanks again,

Joe

I don't know but I've never heard of an MT6 being anything other than Morse Taper 6.
That's two of us but no doubt the Morse Taper number 6 is way too big for the taper in the lathe and as i mentioned in my original post, the Morse Taper 5 is way too small.

Thank you,

Joe

I wrote to Whacheon USA asking if they can advise what the specific taper is on my lathe.

In the mean time, please feel free to offer your advice, insight, comments etc. as I do appreciate it, truly.

Joe

Last edited:
if/when you figure this out I could use one for my 17 inch Yam lathe
Will do... What I find perplexing is my lathe is a licensed copy of a Mori Seki MS-850 Lathe which is a nice lathe with a pretty good reputation. I cannot believe this issue has not come up before and that the information is not readily available. I have not only searched here but also the internet and I have not found a single piece of relevant information to this specific lathe.

You'd be best off to call them....chances are they will never reply to a written request.

Greer Machinery is the US distributor. 714-848-5477
Thanks, when I wrote to Whacheon USA and ordered parts a few years ago, they were very responsive (https://www.whacheon.com/). I will give it a day or so and if I get no response, I will call Greer.

Thanks again for the information, much appreciated.

Joe

I have a Yam 17x60 marked as a Cadillac. The manual shows the spindle taper as MT6. Furnished with the lathe is a MT6 to MT4 "center sleeve" and a couple of MT4 centers. Looking in the spindle bore the taper appears to be bored about 5" deep from the mouth to where it matches the spindle bore ID.

ID Spindle bore is 2.047" (52mm)
"Mouth" of spindle bore at MT6 is 2.29"

The center sleeve is 3.7' long with a 3.48" long finished surface centered on the overall length.
Finished large end is 2.303" dia., Finished small end is 2.12" dia.
When installed the center sleeve slides into the spindle bore 3.325" where it seats.

Maybe this will help.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

I have a Yam 17x60 marked as a Cadillac. The manual shows the spindle taper as MT6. Furnished with the lathe is a MT6 to MT4 "center sleeve" and a couple of MT4 centers. Looking in the spindle bore the taper appears to be bored about 5" deep from the mouth to where it matches the spindle bore ID.

ID Spindle bore is 2.047" (52mm)
"Mouth" of spindle bore at MT6 is 2.29"

The center sleeve is 3.7' long with a 3.48" long finished surface centered on the overall length.
Finished large end is 2.303" dia., Finished small end is 2.12" dia.
When installed the center sleeve slides into the spindle bore 3.325" where it seats.

Maybe this will help.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith
Thank you, the dimensions are helpful, especially if I have to make or modify a center to fit my lathe. My owners manual also states my lathe has an MT6 spindle taper but it is not. As mentioned in my original post above, the MT6 is far too big and the MT5 slides right through so I'm not sure what taper it is.

Thanks again,

Joe

Sorry I don't have a pic of it, but your post made me start to remember that my lathe (HL460 Whacheon) has a tool kit that came with it. I looked in there tonight and sure enough, there is a spacer of sorts which fits the spindle bore and provides a female 4MT fit on the ID. The Part Number is 221378 shown on Page 6 of the factory parts manual. That's what you need....I'm sure Greer would sell you one.

Sorry I don't have a pic of it, but your post made me start to remember that my lathe (HL460 Whacheon) has a tool kit that came with it. I looked in there tonight and sure enough, there is a spacer of sorts which fits the spindle bore and provides a female 4MT fit on the ID. The Part Number is 221378 shown on Page 6 of the factory parts manual. That's what you need....I'm sure Greer would sell you one.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help, I am truly grateful.

Joe

the 20:1 tapers are quite common on big Taiwanese manual lathes, I've had a couple pass through my hands. I have another mystery adapter out in the garage, let me take some pics and measurements, see if it might be a candidate

I don't know if you got your answer. But my D1-6 spindle Whacheon is a Metric Taper 6, not Morse Taper.
Daryl, I don't have the answer yet. Thanks so much for that information, it's very helpful and makes sense as the owners manual lists in the specs that the taper is an MT6. As I mentioned in my original post, the Morse Taper #6 is far too big and the Morse Taper #5 far too small.

I have an email in to Whacheon USA and a call in to Greer Machinery. I did quite a bit of searching and cannot find a single source for a Metric #6 Taper. In fact, I can't find any listings for any metric taper centers.

Any ideas where I might source one?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

Joe

the 20:1 tapers are quite common on big Taiwanese manual lathes, I've had a couple pass through my hands. I have another mystery adapter out in the garage, let me take some pics and measurements, see if it might be a candidate
Hi Matt, thank you very much.

Joe

IMG_1046.jpegIMG_1047.jpegIMG_1048.jpegNo problem, here you go. Even with the shakycam measurements it comes out to a 1:20 taper (3.388-3.212/3.5=0.050). MT4 internal taper. Looks like a shelf queen, nicest one I’ve had in my grubby mitts :)

Back