What's new
What's new

what is the ultimate machined object/mechanism?

Okay, off the rant and back to the ultimate machined object. This is not a single object, but a collection of objects, as are many of the previous references. The space shuttle. Hard to imagine how many unique machined parts go into the assembly of the shuttle and it's engines that all require the utmost adherence to quality standards, or someone dies. Any one of those machined parts would be a revered paperweight on the desk of a machinist or engineer.

The Napier Deltic diesel engine. Triple cranks. 18 cylinders, 36 pistons. Amazing engineering.

napier_deltic11.jpg

I've collected a few more pictures of the Deltic at http://images.ttyr2.com/index.php?directory=/albums/Napier Deltic

I am slowly going through this thread and maybe someone mentioned this already. This is a two stroke Diesel too if I remember correctly.

Brandon

Okay, off the rant and back to the ultimate machined object. This is not a single object, but a collection of objects, as are many of the previous references. The space shuttle. Hard to imagine how many unique machined parts go into the assembly of the shuttle and it's engines that all require the utmost adherence to quality standards, or someone dies. Any one of those machined parts would be a revered paperweight on the desk of a machinist or engineer.

Point taken. Have some of those on my desk, many memories, my inventions and designs.

Back