What's new
What's new

What is this adjustable length rod called?

aubk

Plastic
WIN_20220120_02_43_10_Pro.jpg

Can someone tell me the name of the attached fitting? an adjustable length strut.

It has Clevis fork and tang on both sides but it'd require L and R threads to work. I thought finding something to adjust the length of a rod would be easy but I damned if I can find anything similar, what should I be searching for?

Here's a hint: If you're needing a "hardware store" solution, the 'easy' (right-hand thread) side of any turnbuckle can be extended with the appropriately-sized threaded rod. Re-attach the clevis fitting using a coupler nut. Lock-tite threads that need to stay put.

Normal turnbuckles use one right-hand and one left-hand thread, but finer adjustment capability -- at the cost of lower adjustment range -- can be achieved using two different pitches of same-hand thread. The different-pitch screws don't need to be the same diameter.

That's a fairly specialized piece of hardware. If you can find the mfger of the assembly, seems like you could order the right turnbuckle.

If not, you're in for a world of search.

McMaster-Carr lists that as a "closed body turnbuckle". But they don't have anything exactly like that. The way that one is made it looks like some sort of bling on some consumer grade device. I say bling because they bothered to shine it up and maybe plate it but they couldn't be arsed to put a decent knurl on it or remove the tooling marks on the main body. It does not look like an off-the-shelf part. If that device is something that you are making (or having made) I would try and rethink the design a bit. Turnbuckles work well in tension. Look at standing rigging on a sailboat, screen doors, tie downs on trucking, etc... They do not work all that well in compression.

for true appreciation -watch 70's wrestling videos. "MR Wrestling 2 just slammed Sting into the turnbuckle"
" Vince McMahon...."hulk hogan is atop the turnbuckle ...he's going for the triple-suplex-twist"

"Superstar is bashing The Fabulous Moolah's head against the mighty turnbuckle" ...

I've done a lot of searching and haven't found anything really comparable, yes it does need to be used in compression but the forces are not great. Currently this looks like a less elegant solution, having one side freely spin in a rose joint locktite the second two pieces and the last two pieces together.

angle adjust.jpg

I'm happy for any other suggestions on an angle adjustable locking hinge.

I've done a lot of searching and haven't found anything really comparable, yes it does need to be used in compression but the forces are not great. Currently this looks like a less elegant solution, having one side freely spin in a rose joint locktite the second two pieces and the last two pieces together.

View attachment 340006

I'm happy for any other suggestions on an angle adjustable locking hinge.

While it will result in an adjustable rod, it won't work like a true turnbuckle, which has left-hand and right-hand threaded sections. Depending on your specific needs, a threaded rod with just rod-ends on either end (your left-most item in the pic) will get the same thing done, once you're in the ballpark with overall length. It will work nicely in tension or compression, too. Just look under a race car at the steering mechanism.

That said, Pegasus will have some options: Steering - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

"angle adjustable locking hinge" -- meaning something for the right-hand end that's adjustable, but locking? Infinitely adjustable or 5-degree increments, or ?? Look at tripod-handle machining for defined, but reasonably small locking ideas. Radial, tapered splines held together with a hand-tightened nut. Think mating parts like these: Just the serrated part...

Back