What's new
What's new

What is Windows 11 doing to your CAD/CAM software

Bill Gates is a shyster, a thief, a pretender...and his company's half-assed products--- combined with monopolistic behavior from Day 1, have brought more misery and lost productivity on the world than could ever be fathomed.
That is a strong statement. I was anti Microsoft for so long.
I wrote my own operating systems back in 8008, 1802 days. When the 6800 came out I thought that the cat's ass.
Gates bought the code in a brave move to get the IBM contract. Way, way out on limb.

Gates bought the code in a brave move to get the IBM contract.

IBM not developing their own "DOS" will go down as one of the great corporate screwups of all time. Up there with Kodak giving the digital camera away, Cincinnati Milacron inviting the Japanese in, New Coke, the GM Aztec, and the new Bud Light ad campaign.

Why one of the largest tech companies in the world chose to outsource their new machine's source code is mind-boggling. Even more so because they went with the lowest bidder, a no-name startup called Microsoft.

Brilliant thinking there, IBM.

And Gates being a crook? Well, he did steal the idea for Windows...
And Microsoft has admitted and paid millions in fines for monopolistic practices.

(And they've gotten away with way more than they have been busted for!)

From who? And do not tell me Apple.....
I believe it was Xerox that was working on a new graphical interface, when they decided to give Gates and company a tour. Microsoft hired key engineers and software gurus away, and the race was on.

Once Microsoft got their new personal computer graphical interface called "Windows" to market quicker, it was over for Xerox, or TI, or HP, whichever it was.

Companies became dominant in the software and internet market simply by getting there first, then squeezing the competition out. (For example: Google, Ebay, YouTube, Microsoft, ...)

Last edited:
IBM not developing their own "DOS" will go down as one of the great corporate screwups of all time.

John Akers was an idiot who wouldn't recognize a computer if it sat in the suicide seat of his chaufferred limousine. He presided over the biggest three quarters of losses in the history of the US (up to that time, this was pre-enron) and basically destroyed what had been a good company.

A fish rots from the head down.

This should be a lesson to corporate management everywhere but does not seem to have been. Go look at some websites, I swear one out of ten talks about the product, the rest are all busy describing their forward-looking innovative culture of inclusiveness. It's getting to where you can't even tell what people make or do anymore.

Gates bought the code in a brave move to get the IBM contract. Way, way out on limb.

No risk at all, Mumsy was buddies with some IBM execs who had already bought a non-existing product from widdow billy, he just had to run out and find something to buy to fulfil the contract. He's a piece of shit and always has been. Gordon Letwin was the only one there worth applauding. The rest were just con artists and mafiosi without the nerve. Shysters and thieves with great marketing and a gullible audience. There ya go, "success in the marketplace". Crappy junk that's not worth shit, but what we deserve when you define "success" that way.

Last edited:
FYI Y'all, old dog turd hardware is what it is and as far as applications are concerned, 3rd parties have access to OS builds before the production OS release so there are almost no excuses for their apps not to run unless an OS bug is the culprit. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply pointing out what everyone can see for themselves. For the record I don't upgrade windows until it's been out approximately one year, so that's puts my upgrade sometime this Fall. When I ran Apples I would upgrade sooner because I generally experienced less headaches than with Windows, although small issues did happen now then; just never any show stoppers for me.

Don't forget the Linux fan boy(s) (I think I'm the only one).
I like Linux a lot as well! Fresh out of school I used and administered a HP-UX environment for a couple years so when Linux started becoming popular it felt natural to experiment with a couple different distros. On a side note a lot of people are unaware Apple's Mac OS has its roots from the Mach kernel and BSD. Using NX to design their hardware, at some point Steve Jobs decided he didn't want to design on windows hardware so he worked with Siemens to port to MacOS, which I thought was a weird move on Siemens part. It was never more than a small niche so Siemens eventually dropped development, as far as I know. I should revisit Linux again, even it's ChromeOS.

We have had our factory and design computers offline for quite a while. Working well on the original Win7operating system in a LAN. Fast and trouble free. We have seperate online computers for messaging, web browsing and emails, etc. The twain never shall dialog with each other except by thumb drive file transfers. Am surprised more dont have their "works" computers offline. Not good for work sharing and collaborative action on work files (is that really a requirement in small firms?) but much safer. Manual backups are also a necessity.

I ended up setting up Atlas on my personal computer (Atlas is third party software that strips the bloatware from a fresh windows install) and it works extremely well. It's designed for gaming but hasn't given me any issues with any of my CAD programs but has made everything much faster.

I'm not going to use it on my work machine yet because I have software licenses with no active maintenance and I'm not looking to cause trouble with those.

Windows pc at work on its 4th time of auto reinstalling windows 11. It keeps faulting out.
Sorry to hear that. Google articles and videos for failed updates; there's a plethora of potential solutions out there every time there's a windows upgrade. If you cannot get it "unstuck" then you might have to install 11 from scratch. A word of caution...upgrades can work great on older hardware, if they install properly, and seemingly use magic for older drivers whereas a fresh install can sometimes cause issues because you won't be able to get up to date drivers specifically for the new version because hardware oem's sunsetted their hardware. I imagine windows is simply utilizing the old drivers where it can or perhaps a compatibility mode.

This happened to me when 10 was new. I upgraded a notebook from an older version and it was running okay but I decided to do a fresh install. Lo and behold I could not find windows 10 drivers for ethernet, bluetooth, touchpad, etc-. So, I reinstalled the old windows then upgraded to 10 and everything was fine. WTH microsoft??? I like that microsoft makes it easy on users to upgrade but if they can get an upgrade working fine but not a new install then F them. It's that sort of behavior that keeps my opinion of microsoft low while I have much better experiences with apples. It is what it is. Microsoft has never been known for having the best experiences but in fairness they have to support everything under the sun from lenovo, dell, and Fred's Computer World.

Sorry to hear that. Google articles and videos for failed updates; there's a plethora of potential solutions out there every time there's a windows upgrade. If you cannot get it "unstuck" then you might have to install 11 from scratch. A word of caution...upgrades can work great on older hardware, if they install properly, and seemingly use magic for older drivers whereas a fresh install can sometimes cause issues because you won't be able to get up to date drivers specifically for the new version because hardware oem's sunsetted their hardware. I imagine windows is simply utilizing the old drivers where it can or perhaps a compatibility mode.

This happened to me when 10 was new. I upgraded a notebook from an older version and it was running okay but I decided to do a fresh install. Lo and behold I could not find windows 10 drivers for ethernet, bluetooth, touchpad, etc-. So, I reinstalled the old windows then upgraded to 10 and everything was fine. WTH microsoft??? I like that microsoft makes it easy on users to upgrade but if they can get an upgrade working fine but not a new install then F them. It's that sort of behavior that keeps my opinion of microsoft low while I have much better experiences with apples. It is what it is. Microsoft has never been known for having the best experiences but in fairness they have to support everything under the sun from lenovo, dell, and Fred's Computer World.
You can point windows to a directory to look for drivers. You should be able to use your recovery partition and it will find it for you. I've never had to do that personally though.

Exact opposite experience here. My computer was getting random blue screen of death graphics errors. We tried several things to correct the problem with no luck. Finally IT said to let it update to win11. That was almost 2 months ago. Not a single Blue screen error since. No problems at all with the software I run (TopSolid 7.16, ABB Robot Studio, Doosan Dart Studio, Visual Studio 2022, and a couple PLC/HMI programming tools).

Back