What's new
What's new

What Is Your LEAST Favorite Tool

My least favorite tool? It has to be one of these:

1716859628485.png

There is a really large sliding panel saw at the plastic shop I do consulting for and it is amazing to work with 99% of the time. Cuts like a dream and is fast and straight. Large blade, very quiet and it would just LOVE for you to make a mistake while operating it. It will send you straight to the hospital covered in your own blood faster than you can say "What was that?".

Ironically I was cutting some rigid plastic for a part that is used to X-ray damaged hands in the medical field. The blade kicked on the material so I yanked my hand away so I wouldn't lose parts of my body. Well the saw reacted with "You think your clever? You haven't seen anything yet" and it catches the material and fires it like a rocket at me and hits the same hand that is almost behind my back at this point. Being very hard plastic only my bones stopped the plastic and it was amazing how much blood was everywhere considering it just happened, I'll never forget how it felt. Usually it takes a moment for the blood to really come around but not that day. Anyway, I did what any guy working in the shop at midnight by himself would do... grabbed a roll of paper towel and some electrical tape and wrapped it up in a nice quick field dressing and drove myself to the hospital.

In Canada we have this problem where our Health Care coverage is automatically deducted from every breath we take so although you don't have to remortgage your house for getting a finger reattached you do have a lineup out the door to get into the ER here. That day I stood in the long line, quietly covered in my own blood waiting for my turn to come one day and admitting shouted across the ER: "Hey! You! You can come up here right now". I walked past the death stares of people with sore tummies and nothing better to do that night than get treatment for a hangnail... I did hurt myself a little bit here... This isn't normally a red shirt!

I prefer machines where the feed can be controlled by the machine and the stock is also held by the machine.

Get you a Fein Multimaster and never bust out the sawzall again.

I dont think they make 12” hacksaw blades for the fein, or wood cutting blades. I have cut some crazy stuff with a sawzall. 3” pipe inside walls, all kinds of plastic, wood and metals, notches and oval holes and rebar flush with concrete…. I have a bosch knockoff f the fein, but it seldom will do what I need a sawzall for.

I don't get the disdain for the table saw. The blade's position is fixed, if this scares or upsets you then a lathe is really gonna break your heart

Hand grinder

Friend had a wheel shatter, walked up his arm at 3600rpm, cut his arm open and lodged into his forearm. Blood apparently was spurting out, funny part he was more worried about his wife getting the $1k in his wallet then the grinding wheel half stuck in his arm.

--------------------------------

Lots of potential with manual lathes to hurt your self, had a few close calls.

NOBODY uses my lathes, not inclined to have to clean human remains of the machines, reduces their value (only kidding! Human life is more important then the value of the lathe :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: )

--------------------------------

Any surface, and id/od grinder. Awful machines.
About that surface grinder.... love what I can do with one... just can't get over the hibbie-gibbie's when wiping down the mag and the wheel running... even if it's 6" in the air.

And this was before grinding my knuckle down riding a motorcycle with the tires in the air mode....

I was going to say "vertical broach" because no matter what you wear, you go home absolutely soaked, from shirt to socks, and underwear too, with cutting oil. It's not pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as a hospital trip.

I'll just slink off to sing 'wheels on the bus' with the other little girls now ...

Hows about trimming and polishing your finger nails on a running centreless grinder ?........breaks up the boredom ,and attends to the appearance...........the running wheel is just like glass ,and not rough at all.

I don't get the disdain for the table saw. The blade's position is fixed, if this scares or upsets you then a lathe is really gonna break your heart
My post said it's absolutely great 99% of the time, and when it hurt me it wasn't because I was near the blade. Big table saws (panel saw) can hurt you in creative ways. I personally have no issues with lathes, my W&S had a 36in chuck on it and would turn you into gazpacho without so much as a flinch on the load meter needle.

I was going to say "vertical broach" because no matter what you wear, you go home absolutely soaked, from shirt to socks, and underwear too, with cutting oil. It's not pleasant, but nowhere near as bad as a hospital trip.

The shop I work for has a horizontal broach, I know a few guys who would likely choose the hospital trip over running that oily loud contraption all day. It's honestly the worst job in the shop, a lot of people will choose to leave without pay rather than run it. Thankfully that's one job I never get voluntold to do.

Gas powered post hole borers. Loud, awful, like to break your arms when you hit a root, and heavy to lift back out of the hole covered in thick clay.

Seriously would rather dig holes with a spade, and if I have more than a few to do I'm renting a mini excavator with an auger for half a day, so much safer and easier.

As for shop tools I hate telescopic bore gauges.

An interesting use for grease guns....

Some high-end motors and generators use hydraulically-fitted tapered shaft extensions. Basically, the coupling is forced onto the motor's tapered shaft and the coupling is then able to transmit the HP....for example 65,000HP at 1800RPM or 3600RPM. Very similar to a Morse or JT taper used on machine tools.

These taper-fitted couplings are used because they can be removed and installed in the field without too much trouble. If they were cylindrical and keyed....they'd be a real pain in the ass to remove.

How are they removed? You simply use a hydraulic medium under about 50,000PSI to force the taper apart. How do you make that happen? Use a grease gun, give it a couple pumps, and the coupling pops off.
Ships propellers had this more than 75 years ago.

-D

Back