What's new
What's new

What makes a good shop stereo system for 60x60x20 area?

I would recommend running a 70V line to speakers with volume controls to locations near where you want them heard. Then you can have a paging microphone and everything in one clean location.

I like Bogan as they used to last forever eg Bogen C35 Public Address Amplifier - IP Phone Warehouse

While I have never been in the Public Address business, I have never heard Pleasant audio on any 70 volt system I was exposed to.

Speaking of cables, what does one really need for a 40' run? I know some guys insist on 2 gauge micro-braided solid gold, but what is really reasonable?

OP bought powered speakers, so should be balanced signal wire not speaker wire. XLR or TRS. Headphone jack is unbalanced which can adpapt up to 1/4 TR. Over 20 feet you want balanced.

OP bought powered speakers, so should be balanced signal wire not speaker wire. XLR or TRS. Headphone jack is unbalanced which can adpapt up to 1/4 TR. Over 20 feet you want balanced.

I got a few XLR cables tossed in with the speakers. My receiver has a pre-amp out with RCA's so I bought an RCA to XLR adapter that will be here thursday. These speakers daisy chain together with XLR cables. Or 1/4" plugs right in, but the XLR seams like a better way to go to me.

Here's what I got. A pair of Bose bookshelf suspended from the ceiling on one end of shop and a pair of inherited Bose cubes with separate subwoofer on the other end . I was using a GAS Son of Ampzilla/Thalia and the caps gave out so haven't had a chance to fix it, so have a 100W Nakamichi tuner doing the deed and never sounded better. Anybody remember this stuff?

Pic is the overhauled unit on the bench- been out in the shop for 2yrs now;

nikko6065-front.jpg

Always wanted to mess with one of the Alpha/Beta units but this one has been great-- used my turret lathe to make new button caps too lol. Basement amp is a Sansui AU-D7 basketcase off ebay- very potent amp...

The correct $15 adapter showed up last night so I can connect these JBL's up to the pre-amp RCA connections on my receiver and use the nice XLR microphone cables.

I am just completely blown away how nice this turned out for a $235 investment. These speakers are insane. They fill the shop with perfect, clear sound. 2 speakers is perfect. In fact, just one of these speakers is more than enough for this entire shop. The main area is about 65x65, but not only do these sound great in there, but they're clear in the other 3500 sq ft of attached buildings. Just nuts how nice these work out.

I've got the volume on the speakers set at about 20% and it's about right if I crank the receiver for playing loud songs correctly. Even turned way down they are crystal clear.

I ran these up to max hooked to my smart phone and they were very loud, hearing loss loud. Hooked to the receiver they are atleast TWICE as loud as that. I haven't taken them past 50% because I would probably get the cops called and lose some hearing.

If you like overkill, these may be the speakers for your shop!

There is a Clip LED on the back, make sure the speaker stays below Clipping, I have replaced over a dozen of horn diaphragms and did couple of woofer recones over the years on (rental)EONs.

XLR speaker cables for the win :) My setup is plain old 14ga zipcord with stripped ends, secured up at the top of the wall with .. 1/4" phono setups aren't bad but XLR is a lot more robust.

Sometimes the music needs to be loud!

+1 for PA speakers for the shop or outside, A little OT, but I recently replaced a failed AV receiver in my house with a new Denon AVRX-1600H, with the little microphone you set up to automatically set room equalization. I could not BELIEVE how good it is, just fantastic. I never thought it would make such a dramatic difference. Worth every penny

"What makes a good shop stereo system for 60x60x20 area? "

A corner mezzanine about 10' high with a Hammond b3 on it.
Who's up for roller skates in the shop ?..:D

You never went roller skating ?

Well, roller blading...although at a roller rink. Most of the sessions played dance music...this was in the early 90s, I was in my early teens. They did have an organ skate on like Wednesday night, and a few of us went once. We never went to that again lol.

Well, roller blading...although at a roller rink. Most of the sessions played dance music...this was in the early 90s, I was in my early teens. They did have an organ skate on like Wednesday night, and a few of us went once. We never went to that again lol.

You should have been around in the 1970's....this was way before roller blades.

I just went roller skating for my 37th birthday. Had a BLAST! The kids loved it. We might go again this weekend.

Were you being towed around by a motorcycle while chasing a softball size ball bearing?

And more importantly, did you crank the music in the shop so you could hear it at the skate rink?

PS Happy birthday :cheers:

Back