What's new
What's new

What material does this test report confirm?

RJT

Titanium
C = .81
Mn = 1.12
P = .013
S = .004
Si = .24
Cr = .58
Ni = .07
Mo = .02
Cu = .11
Al = .01
W = .64
V < .01
Fe = Balance
Test method : ASTM E415

Alloy Steel

My guess was S-7 from the way the part is used. It is R/C 56, came off a Japanese machine built in the 80's. My customer wants me to reverse engineer some wear items so I had them analyzed and this is the results. I don't have a metalugist I can ask, the testing lab said it may be a proprietary alloy. Anyone have the solution?

Hi RJT:
It's not S-7; I just checked the chemistry.
It's not A-2 or D-2 either.

If it was my project and I couldn't duplicate the steel by calling your steel supplier and leaning on him shamelessly, I'd be thinking of D2 as my favorite for high wear applications where good toughness is needed too.
S-7 is actually considered by many engineers, not to be all that great in wear applications.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Close to O-1, except your carbon is a little low (0.81 vs 0.85 low limit), and your tungsten is high (0.64 vs 0.6 high limit). I do think some of the elements with very low assay may be artifacts. Most tool steels that have Nickel have at last 1 percent, and not 0.07%. Unless you need an N stamp, certified and documented absolute exactly match, I suspect you'd be ok with O-1. O-1 temperated at 600°F is R/C 57-60, so this may be the Japanese version of O-1.

Back