What's new
What's new

What Quick Change tool post to get?

Use eBay.com with a search argument "Peewee Tools Multifix" or AliExpress. These are made in China, but there are dealers in Europe (Germany) that stock these as well. Google is your friend!

Good to know. I will take a look. I though they where German made. Still looks like a nice system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

sorry, but my goods are not available in China. Different range of products (take the complete rest of the world together, my range is more than double of this), much higher quality of the material (for example 41Cr4 for the holders instead of the cheap C45), different accuracy and different hardness (I am the only supplier which products have the same high hardness like the real originals of the system inventor)........ just to write some arguments.

Go to Schnellwechselhalter nach Multifix System or just email to [email protected] and tell me three things:

• how many millimeter is the distance between the surface of the compound rest and the middle of the chuck?
• how wide is the compound rest?
• how strong is the motor? (because this is a safety issue, this is the most important information)

Best regards
Peter Wendlandt

Good to know. I will take a look. I though they where German made. Still looks like a nice system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally, they were made in Switzerland, then Germany and a few other countries. Now China has started making them. They are the most popular QCTP system in Europe. There are many different tool holders available for them as well. Much more than what is available for the many different American systems. Like retracting threading holders both inside and outside.

The link just a sparky sent is the one I have on my machine. It is indeed made in Germany. I believe all the others are made in China. Use Google Chrome web browser when you to to the site as it has built in translation which you'll need to navigate the site. Note that the prices are Euro which includes VAT (european tax) If you change the delivery address to the USA the prices will drop as it removes the tax. But you'll have to pay pricey shipping.
Also, when you go pay, pay in Euro with your credit card. You'll get a better exchange rate than if you pay with dollars. If you pay in dollars PayPal just does the conversion for you at a crappy exchange rate.

Hi there,

sorry, but my goods are not available in China. Different range of products (take the complete rest of the world together, my range is more than double of this), much higher quality of the material (for example 41Cr4 for the holders instead of the cheap C45), different accuracy and different hardness (I am the only supplier which products have the same high hardness like the real originals of the system inventor)........ just to write some arguments.

Go to Schnellwechselhalter nach Multifix System or just email to [email protected] and tell me three things:

• how many millimeter is the distance between the surface of the compound rest and the middle of the chuck?
• how wide is the compound rest?
• how strong is the motor? (because this is a safety issue, this is the most important information)

Best regards
Peter Wendlandt

Peter, where are the Pewe multifix manufactured?

There is no comparison between Multi-fix and all the others. The Multi-fix is better in all departments. I use 3 different sizes A, B, and C. They are expensive, but worth every penny. I have the A size on my 10K and it has been in use by me for 30 years. The Create clones are compatible to the original Swiss and German made units as well.

I would say repeatability is the number one required attribute of a QCTP & the Multifix & all it's clones is not any better than a decent made lets say wedge type.
Tony

Whatever brand of toolholder you decide on, find yourself a 1/4" tangental tool holder to fit. You will thank yourself many times over, and save $ over carbide.

Hi Lucaselef

I never hide the truth and so my answer to you is very clear. My products are produced of course in China and the reason is easy to explain: There is nobody in Europe who is willing or who is able to produce the quality I want. I know, it sounds unbelievable but it is what it is………… most of European companies are not able and the tiny small quantity of the others are much too expensive. To get a better accuracy, the teeth of my holders are not grinded. Believe it or not but accurate grinding of the shape of this teeth is not easy and so the teeth of my holders are cut by wire-EDM. If you want to do this in Germany, only this single job cost 200 Euro net for just and only 1 holder of the size A but you have to buy the material, screws, distance bracket, milling job, cut threads and hardening and so the price of a complete set would cost around net 1,250 Euro instead of actually net 243.70 Euro and the high price would be not competitive and I guess that nobody would like to pay the much higher price only because the announcement “Made in Germany” when there is no other different.

I tried and try to find a company in Europe who is able and willing to produce in the same level of quality and accuracy for a reasonable price, but until today it is without success, there is nobody, even not close.

Best regards
Peter Wendlandt

Believe it or not but accurate grinding of the shape of this teeth is not easy and so the teeth of my holders are cut by wire-EDM.
That's silly. Here's a german name for you - Hofler. Anything beyond the accuracy of what they produce is far beyond the capabilities of any commercially produced lathe, ever.

Then when you consider most of this stuff is going on a "Heavy 10" South Bend, that kind of thing is ridiculous. I'm sure your holders are very nice but still ... weakest link and all that, ya know ? Bolting a Cosworth into a Pinto doesn't give you an F1 car.

Hi EmanuelGoldstein,

thanks for your comment. Of course it is here only a small South Bend but this should be not a reason at all to pay no attention to the quality of additional accessories and how to find the matching size, I answered before).

I would be happy to produce in Germany or Europe but again, I am searching now since 10 years and there is no chance, zero, nada.
Just answer this question for yourself: A holder has 13 teeth and so we have 26 flanks which have the chance to come in contact with the teeth of the tool post and if you put the nice cheap grinded teeth of a holder to the nice cheap grinded teeth of the tool post and you hold this against a lamp and you see just some spots (the most bad one has only 2!!!) of contact and all the rest you see just light............ how do you name this? And: How do you make it better when you want to have a reasonable price?

The best which I ever tested was an original from Switzerland, produced by the inventor J.F.Minder in the year 1964 and there are 18 contacts of max. possible 26. Other western products (old and new, produced as copies in Switzerland, France and Germany) have 12-14 contacts (and that is also what I demand of my holders) and nice cheap grinded only between 2-8 (of course you have sometimes better ones when the grinding wheel is new but this is not the average). So when I want to produce for a reasonable price in mass in China (by the way, I sold in the meantime over 68,000 Multifix items), grinding is not a solution and so the decision was to cut by wire-EDM.

Why I am able to so judge this? Well, I am able because I imported before Multifix from a Chinese producer (the name is now not so important but you can find it very easy in this forum) with nice grinded teeth until I had around 30% of holders which were not matching any other tool post than the tool post of the set in which the holder was part of (and the problems are still until today). And to find a solution, I started to buy all originals Made in Switzerland and then all others and so I have samples of all producer of the past and today. Look to this picture and you see a part of the collection (by the way, actually I fill out the application form for the “The Guinness Book of World Records” because this is the biggest existing collection – or do you know a bigger one?).
Vergleichswand-komplett-16kopie.jpg
Peter Wendlandt

On and on about a tool post for a freeking flexy flyer SB, what a waste of time. A lantern post works fine for Pete's sake. Get whatever you can for low money. A KDK is about the worst QC post available but is plenty good for a S.B. The compound and cross feed are made of cast iron with the stiffness of rubber anyway. I have used them all and my first choice will always be a genuine Aloris. The Aloris is the strongest and most accurate Tool post available. When you change the tool block the cutting edge is in the same place every time.

Very cool collection and picture of all the multifix! I'd like to try a pewe holder in my AXA German multifix to see how they fit.

On and on about a tool post for a freeking flexy flyer SB, what a waste of time. A lantern post works fine for Pete's sake. Get whatever you can for low money. A KDK is about the worst QC post available but is plenty good for a S.B. The compound and cross feed are made of cast iron with the stiffness of rubber anyway. I have used them all and my first choice will always be a genuine Aloris. The Aloris is the strongest and most accurate Tool post available. When you change the tool block the cutting edge is in the same place every time.

What's an even bigger waste of time is to visit the south bend forum to complain about south bends.

Hi jmm03,

well.......... yes, I think so. I searched for this in Europe but not USA but I am not able to imagine that it could be cheaper. Maybe somebody here can help me with information of the cost for wire-EDM. To cut precise, of course you need a precise EDM, we need 2 1/2 hours to cut the side with the teeth of just one holder in the size A.

Lucaselev: Yes, all Multifix but also the systems Tripan, Aloris, Dorian, KDK, Rapid, Böni, Parat, Drehblitz, Dickson, Ideal, Kirkele, Bergström, Breuning, Imperio, N.I.F. Waldorp, Techika and the Chinese copies of some of them.............. and so I am really able to compare.

Best regards
Peter Wendlandt

Just answer this question for yourself: A holder has 13 teeth and so we have 26 flanks which have the chance to come in contact with the teeth of the tool post and if you put the nice cheap grinded teeth of a holder to the nice cheap grinded teeth of the tool post and you hold this against a lamp and you see just some spots (the most bad one has only 2!!!) of contact and all the rest you see just light............ how do you name this? And: How do you make it better when you want to have a reasonable price?
Okay, I asked myself that but you aren't going to like the answer.

First, I don't know where you were getting teeth ground but decent equipment will most certainly do much better than that.

Second, it doesn't matter. When you fixture for part holding, you learn to not overconstrain. Three points determines a plane, and all that. Two teeth would be fine. In fact possibly preferable. The only thing that matters here is that the holder mates with the post in a repeatable manner. Two faces and the height screw will do that fine.

The only advantage the multi-fix has over aloris and kdk is the convenience of swivelling the tool around on a manual lathe, for when you want a different angle. That's it.

So I don't think your concerns matter, in the real world. Not that you don't make nice parts but in the end, no demonstrable difference.

Hi EmanualGoldstein,

well, you have your opinion and and you have the right to doubt 79 years of engineering and producing of Multifix. I am pretty sure that I will never be able to change this thinking and so I will not try and will not argument with you.

But for all others: If the argument of EmanualGoldstein would be correct, then he call with his words all high quality producer of the last 79 years, system inventor J.F.Minder, MIVESA and Nouvelle Mivesa (all Switzerland) and Hahn&Kolb, Amestra, HAASE and AXA in Germany just stupid that they spend so much money for the production of good matching teeth.

Peter Wendlandt

What's an even bigger waste of time is to visit the south bend forum to complain about south bends.

It's a poor workman who blames his tools. Aloris, as he says, is very solid. Hardinge QC stuff, also pretty darn good. I actually prefer their height adjustment and the locking thereof.

And yes I use both on a regular basis.

Hi EmanualGoldstein,

well, you have your opinion ....
Opinion is fine and I don't really care about the rest but one thing you say is incontrovertably wrong - gear grinders have been holding much tighter tolerances than this for decades. Many decades. So I don't know whom you approached for grinding but they were not what we'd call the apex of the profession.

Back