What's new
What's new

What size forklift for 28k lb VMC?

ManualEd

Stainless
I have a 28 k lb Okuma M660V VMC coming in December.

I asked for COG of the machine, but they said that a qualified rigger will be able to determine forklift capacity requirements... which is kinda hard without the COG.
I'm still working to get a better answer from them on this.

The rigger I'm using is qualified, but I want to double check the math less my machine end up back in Georgia if we can't offload.

Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 9.57.04 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-20 at 9.56.41 AM.png

The VMC is 120" from front of machine to back of the electrical boxes. Attached is a center of mass analysis I did from the model in Fusion. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but its about where I would have guessed the COG to be.

I just need to lift the machine up so the truck can drive out, and drive it forward 20' on flat ground.

A 40000 lb @ 36" forklift says that it will lift 24k@ 60".
How hard of a limit is a forklift capacity?
Does the COG in the photo look close?

Thanks!

I would agree with leaving it all to the rigger .......just make sure he has insurance cover ..........one point is.. will your floor stand 40-50 tons .

If you are skating it in, load center* isn't nearly the concern, as it can always be picked off the truck from the back. Then situated and aligned, and then set on skates.

We just moved a LOT of iron here the last cpl of weeks, and I really did NOT want a 30 on that particular floor, and so we did all inside work with a pr of 15's and skates.

Doesn't change the fact that it seems that load center info shouldn't be hard to git on a brand new machine either.

*C/G seems like more of a vertical measurement.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I would have to say that the dealer not giving you a CoG, and yet saying that the rigger should know it, is leaning towards negligence.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Or lazy.

I’m todays CAD designed world it takes 30 seconds in to find the CG.

Reactions: Ox
A new machine will be on a wooden stillage ,and normally ,have arrows on the wood base to indicate COG.
The salesman did say that it would be on the crate.
IF those pieces of it weren't removed to add options.

Unfortunately once the truck shows up its too late to get a bigger forklift...

I'm going to get the apps guy to see if they have a better model than fusion to get the COG.
Can it be picked with a crane?

That was the original plan. I thought the majority of Japanese machines came with pick points for moving with an overhead crane.
Not so on this one. They say you can do it with brackets (not supplied), and custom spreader bars, 5 different length slings, and a turn buckle for leveling the machine.
Barf.

I would agree with leaving it all to the rigger .......just make sure he has insurance cover ..........one point is.. will your floor stand 40-50 tons .
I have an 8" concrete pad out back that we'll be driving over to get to the bay door, then drop it inside the door on skates.
I don't have an 80' clear area to turn a 40k truck around inside...

RIP concrete pad.

I have an 8" concrete pad out back that we'll be driving over to get to the bay door, then drop it inside the door on skates.
I don't have an 80' clear area to turn a 40k truck around inside...

RIP concrete pad.

As we just did most of ours, a 30 could be under the back of the machine, and a 15 under the front.
Pull the truck out and let down.
Then team drive into the building carefully.

40K truck is not a popular machine, and a rigger is much more likely to have a 30 and a 15, and this will be much more likely to let your pad and floor live another day.

edit:
I was thinking that the post was a 38K mill, so at 28K you could likely git by with a bit less, but not much as it is 10' wide. One thing to your advantage is that you can likely get right up to casting, meaning that [with 2 trucks] your load center is actually right at the heels of your forks - unless you try tilting back too far. This lets your trucks grow up a LOT!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
One thing to attend to is the direction the machine is loaded on the truck ......be sure it can come off correctly in your yard if space is limited .
Sorry, by bad for being unclear. There's lots of yard space is OK for picking off the truck, but no where near enough inside the building to worry about the forklift weight on the floor.

We're looking at building a building in the next few years, and your post really made me re-consider what we'll need for a concrete floor.

As we just did most of ours, a 30 could be under the back of the machine, and a 15 under the front.
Pull the truck out and let down.
Then team drive into the building carefully.

40K truck is not a popular machine, and a rigger is much more likely to have a 30 and a 15, and this will be much more likely to let your pad and floor live another day.

edit:
I was thinking that the post was a 38K mill, so at 28K you could likely git by with a bit less, but not much as it is 10' wide. One thing to your advantage is that you can likely get right up to casting, meaning that [with 2 trucks] your load center is actually right at the heels of your forks - unless you try tilting back too far. This lets your trucks grow up a LOT!

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Thanks Ox.
That's a good tip for 2 smaller trucks. I didn't think about how it would bring the load right back to the fork heels.

I don't have any experience with forklifts, just small skid steers that will lift up until your ass does.

Is the max capacity on a forklift a load you can drive around with, or is it the maximum stationary lift it can do?

They all seem to be rated differently.

We fought hard on our recent rigging with a pr of 15's, on a job that we installed with a pr of 15's years ago.
The install went MUCH smoother.

So, I'm guessing that the trucks that we were using this time were maybe rated 6" shorter on the forks maybe?
IDK that there are any rules, just whatever the MFGR states.

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I've rented a Hyster H360-48 a couple times. These have a 36K capacity at 48".

If I were a rigger I'd like a Versalift for this. Much more maneuverable than a giant fixed length beast forklift.

Versalift is nice because you adjust the capacity to whatever you need. When I loaded my 21 ton HBM we had to pick the HBM and the 53' 12 ton Landoll trailer together. Versalift didn't break a sweat.

I have a 28 k lb Okuma M660V VMC coming in December.

I asked for COG of the machine, but they said that a qualified rigger will be able to determine forklift capacity requirements... which is kinda hard without the COG.
I'm still working to get a better answer from them on this.

The rigger I'm using is qualified, but I want to double check the math less my machine end up back in Georgia if we can't offload.

View attachment 416703View attachment 416704

The VMC is 120" from front of machine to back of the electrical boxes. Attached is a center of mass analysis I did from the model in Fusion. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but its about where I would have guessed the COG to be.

I just need to lift the machine up so the truck can drive out, and drive it forward 20' on flat ground.

A 40000 lb @ 36" forklift says that it will lift 24k@ 60".
How hard of a limit is a forklift capacity?
Does the COG in the photo look close?

Thanks!
i would guess the COG is a little bit more forward then you have it, most likely due to the machine having the head all the way down in transport mode. probably right at the back side of the table and only an inch or so above it.

Mazak does the same dumb shit with regards to machines and rigging. They move them via overhead crane at the factory with outrageously complicated rigging that nobody is going to make to unload one machine. And then they don't really care about making the bottom of their castings work well on forks even though that's how 99% of them are going to get moved after they leave the factory. And nobody seems to give a crap about giving you decent drawings of the machine after they have your money and before you have the machine.

My rental place goes with 2x the load when I ask for a truck in this range.
That all good, easy and should be done.
I may have lied about the load once or twice to save money but one should not do that.
How many have you rigged in this size or bigger? For some this big, for others middle, for a few some it is small.

Back