What's new
What's new

What size forklift for 28k lb VMC?

Forklifts are always rated at a certain load centre ......catch with machines is bulky boxes of electrics and fragile bits that restrict reach ,and require long tines .

You can always pick it with two lifts and drive the trailer out, just don't skimp on the lift capacity. With good operators it goes very smooth- without, things get ugly very quickly. Once its on the ground you can get creative. What does your rigger have to say???

I found some other riggers in Calgary.
They have to travel an extra 2 hr ea way, but for $3k more than the local ish guy, they'll show up with a 60k lb fork truck.

The COG can be somewhere in the Pacific Ocean and it'll still lift the mill fine.

Hard to argue with that.
Thanks for the help.

Wow! That's a drive!
Don't you have a crane closer?
Have you checked with the MTB if there are crane hook points?

I have already shoved 3" round bars through the fork pockets on a lathe and picked with a crane onto those bars.
But a mill is likely more lop-sided than a lathe, but not sure if that would be much of an issue or not.
I would likely use straps (won't slide) on the bar, and maybe just slide them a bit more out-board on the heavy side?

Sounds like a very expensive pick!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Better safe than sorry I spose.

If I were unloading that at my shop I'd bring it in a Landoll, no forklift needed. If I absolutely had to use a forklift I'd rent a 30k or 36k and use my regular forklift on the other side for added insurance.

Wow! That's a drive!
Don't you have a crane closer?
Have you checked with the MTB if there are crane hook points?

I have already shoved 3" round bars through the fork pockets on a lathe and picked with a crane onto those bars.
But a mill is likely more lop-sided than a lathe, but not sure if that would be much of an issue or not.
I would likely use straps (won't slide) on the bar, and maybe just slide them a bit more out-board on the heavy side?

Sounds like a very expensive pick!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I was under the impression that MOST Japanese machines came with brackets to lift it with a crane and simple spreader bar.

Not the case with this one.
They do have drawings for brackets to lift with, but the spreader bar setup uses a T shaped spreader bar (which I'd have to make and get engineered), 4 different length slings, as well as a turn buckle to level the machine.

By the time I get anything engineered and made I'm past the tax deadline to have it on the floor.

Plus the closest crane that will lift it is 7hr crane-driving time each way, at $350-$400/hr.

The riggers are the easiest option by far. My quiet fall is busy so I make more money working than moving machines :/

Better safe than sorry I spose.

If I were unloading that at my shop I'd bring it in a Landoll, no forklift needed. If I absolutely had to use a forklift I'd rent a 30k or 36k and use my regular forklift on the other side for added insurance.

Closest 36k forklift is 600km away, and I'd have to pay a lowbed both directions for pickup and drop off.
Just a hair over $10k for rental and lowbedding.

Seems like everyone else on this forum has an 80k Versalift 3 miles up the road.... except me.

Note to self:

Doo not buy ANYTHING on a Bidspotter auction in Kelowna!

Well, maybe a ski-doo, but otherwise ....
'course - that would prolly be hot, so ...

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I know your other limitations for a top lift, so this is purely pedantic, but these guys say they have a 90 ton in your town.

We're a few hours away from Kelowna. I use that as my location so its somewhat more recognizable than Middleofnowheretown.

The riggers showed up with a 100k lb forklift and 5 hours later the mill was sitting in the corner.
By far the longest part was uncrating it in the snow.

Well worth the money to make my life simple.

Back