What's new
What's new

What to buy new as replacement for Bridgeport Series 1?

GGaskill

Titanium
Since I am selling my house and don't need all the proceeds for the next one, and it seems that the new "Bridgeports" are at least partially Chinese now, what is the best machine on the market in this niche?

Place I used to work bought a new Webb. Damn nice machine (This was Taiwan, don't know if they still are.) Way nicer than a BP. If I were going to buy new, that would be my 1st choice.

I would strongly suggest a move up from the simply manual machines to a CNC. Not a full blown high production 4 axis machine with tool changer, but a knee (or bed) mill with two or three axis NC. I have moved from a manual BP to a Southwestern Industries Trak 2 axis knee mill. There is soooo much more that can be done with computer control.

Southwestern Industries, Inc.

Tom

I have railed many timed about the total bull-shit R-8 collet on standard Bridgeport mills!
I strongly suggest that you check out a Lagun.
They are a SOLID machine, not made of tin foil, and they are available with an international standard 40nmtb collet system.

Lee (the saw guy)

I am also very strongly in the real taper vs R8 camp... Ny buddy just bought a manualized CNC kneed mill with ball screws and a 40 taper, very nice.

If you are buying a shiny new one, a 2-axis Prototrak is the same money as a manual with powerfeeds and full DRO and will make life easier and more productive. You can get the spindle in R8 or NMTB 30. If you wanted a NMTB 40 you can upgrade to the larger head.

S and it seems that the new "Bridgeports" are at least partially Chinese now,

So, you want to replace a partially Chinese machine with a fully Chinese machine?

Then, you're asking a chocolate / Vanilla question. How can somebody know what's best for you when you don't tell them what your doing with it!

What's your budget?
Do you have a BP now?
How much do you have invested in tooling?
And on and on!
JR

I have two CNC machines in house at the moment:
A Ganesh Cyclone 32CS twin spindle lathe with live tooling.

This unit typically has runs of two weeks to a month, dropping parts into the catch bin at a rate of one to two minutes each. Some are finished in less than one minute.

The other one is a Doosan 32x16 cnc unit.

Both of these are made in Taiwan and are excellent machines with fantastic support. I guess that you could (at a stretch call them chinese, but I don't).

Both of these units are for large scale production and perform very well for their intended purpose. They are not used for "one off" items.

For those, I use my Monarch 10EE or the Lagun mill. My long range goal was to acquire a well equipped hobby shop, and I think that I have succeeded.

Lee (the saw guy)

If I were replacing my BP, I'm pretty sure it would be with a Lagun. For a knee mill, I think they're hard to beat.

Ted

I totally agree. I worked in an aviation repair station with about a dozen knee mills Bridgeport Series I and 2 and a couple of Laguns. A lot of the work was repairing gearboxes and the such that needed bore work with close relationship to another bore. There wasn't a jig bore machine like a Sip or Moore in the facility. Most of the real PIA stuff we ran on our best Lagun.
It held position the best and spindle cut within tenths of perfectly round. The company purchased 2 series 1 Bridgeports and a series 2, both brand new. One of the series 1 came brand new with out of factory tolerance for spindle running out. The dealer finally replaced the spindle assembly.
None of the new mills came close to the Lagun.

So, you want to replace a partially Chinese machine with a fully Chinese machine?

Then, you're asking a chocolate / Vanilla question. How can somebody know what's best for you when you don't tell them what your doing with it!

What's your budget?
Do you have a BP now?
How much do you have invested in tooling?

The Chinese issue is why buy a Chinese "Bridgeport" instead of a Chinese Webb or some other? I suppose the castings are made in China; well, the castings are the basis of the machine and if they are not good, how is the machine going to be good?

I have an early '70's Bridgeport Series 1 now; it has a few problems, most notably the saddle casting at the gib clamp is broken and will not hold a clamp, plus the usual wear on a 40+ year old machine.

It is in a home shop and is used for gun work and one-offs. I will not say it will never do production but that is unlikely and the parts would not be particularly large should it occur. Although if I could really predict the future, I would be playing the Powerball and budget would not be a concern.

How much in tooling? Who knows; I have what I need or if that is untrue, I buy or make something new. If the new machine had a 40 spindle, I would need tool holders.

I have used Laguns in the past and they would certainly fill the bill.

So in summary, I am looking for a new machine with a long table. A modern DRO is a requirement. At least powerfeed on X axis. One shot lube is desirable. Variable speed head would be nice, CNC would be nice as I can program one and it opens up quantity production.

Back