What's new
What's new

What to do with older Machine?

Dave in WV

Plastic
Hello all, I have a unique problem with a NC machine that has a CNC conversion attached to it. First let me tell you my little shop no longer makes any parts, but I still have the building and lots of other machines I intend to keep and use more or less as a hobby shop.. the machine in question is a 1973 model Warner Swasey SC-1 chucker with a GE 7544 control and a Camstore BTR device, the machine still powers up and works fine, I have worked on this machine whenever there is a problem for over 20 years with the grateful assistance from a former W&S service tech located in Texas. Because I have made so many parts over the years and repaired and maintenance whatever is needed I have a slight attachment to this machine, plus I have a large pile of spare parts, drawings, books, tool holders, and chucks. But now for the bad part of the story. My brother wants it moved out!
Even thou this machine works fine for now, most shops want a newer faster more modern machine. The Iron on this machine is fine, even the control is fine, but a lot of techs don't want to work on old stuff like this. If I was to junk this machine I would probably get about $600.00 bucks out of it. But it would cost over $1000.00 dollars to load and haul it away about 40 miles to a scrapper, then I would need to drain all the oil and strip all the electronics out because scrappers want clean scrap. I really don't want to scrap it because I have kept it for so long. I would give it to someone if they wanted to use it for something.
Another idea I had was if I could find a collage or trade school with a electronics class and a mechanical engineering class that wanted a retrofit project, this might be a good idea, but schools would probably want a newer machine, because few people retrofit SC-1 machines, they want SC-2 or SC-3 machines. As I said it would be a shame to scrap a working heavy duty working machine, so what to do with it?

This is a very heavy duty machine that works well when I powered it up last, that was 06-14-2021 and it would be a shame to let this American machine get cut up... plus I like the looks of the Nixie tube display on the control.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Dave.

Highly doubtful a school would want it. They're like every one else, and want (much) newer stuff. If the machine as all the goodies to go with it, and is still capable of making parts, there are some CNC and Machining sites that folk are actually looking for old gals like this. They still have a life. I'd start with that, maybe even this site, but a few others (like the zone) might.

There may also be a shop that wants one of those old gals for a job they run. That's what happened to my old (1981) Hardinge Super Slant 2 axis. A shop had a buch of them running very simple, repetitive parts, freeing up the fancy CNCs for other stuff. 12 years later, that machine is still making parts.

I would run a craigslist ad for free and put it on Ebay for $1 for a couple weeks.

If in that time you haven't found a home for it then pay to have it hauled for scrap.

Scrapyard doesn't care if it's clean or not. They just want the fluids drained.

The space your machine takes up is worth far more than the machine.

I would run a craigslist ad for free and put it on Ebay for $1 for a couple weeks.

If in that time you haven't found a home for it then pay to have it hauled for scrap.

Scrapyard doesn't care if it's clean or not. They just want the fluids drained.

The space your machine takes up is worth far more than the machine.

+1 on this, as for scrap yards it depends, some pay less per pound if they classify a metal as dirty. Most aren't that picky on junk steel about how clean it should be.

I just sent a load of Breakable Machine Cast out this morning for $286/tonne.

Just how "heavy" is this heavy duty machine?

I hate to send stuff to scrap as well (I hate waste) but the good Lord covered this in Ecclesiastes to help settle your soul.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back