What's new
What's new

What to do with this vibratory tumbler......

huleo

Hot Rolled
We have a large (approx 6ft diam) Hutson bowl type tumbler. Don't recall our investment but not much. Came from a friend who thinks they fried the drive motor and pulled it off line. I'm certain there is more going on though. We already have a smaller bowl type but wanted another to have other media options but I am wondering if these bowls are the right thing to own? Basically I am second guessing if we should fix and run?

I also considered installing a VFD on the drive motor to vary speed a bit. I recall someone mentioning it could be quite handy for dialing in certain operations. This Hutson appears extremely robust. It is heavy and a PITA to move. It does not have an unloader but former company started making one for it. Nothing too special here. It had to sit outside a year but it's not hurt other than needs stuff like wiring, hydro hoses, etc. Nothing I can't deal with.

In one part we were making, we were trying to get the shine out of Al parts and were switching between the plastic media and loaded cob for polishing. What a PITA! It made me want another but also questioning if we are using the machine for what it''s really good at! We do some debur for about 3+hrs. It's a lot of time to count, toss in, pick all the parts out, count again and clean.

Last edited:
In one part we were making, we were trying to get the shine out of Al parts and were switching between the plastic media and loaded cob for polishing. What a PITA! It made me want another

You've just answered your own question!
I have 2 functional tumblers and recently got a third which needs attention to the original ( very very bastard ) motor.
As soon as I get my head out of my ass, I will be resurrecting it and put it into service as I absolutely abhor having to remove media, clean out everything, put in new media ...
only to do it again in a week or so.

My vote: Fix it!

I think I should ask the question differently. Basically we bought one of these bowls as we were told they are the thing to have. There are all sorts of vibe boxes as well, which seem to have more capacity. I am trying to identify what specific advantage or strong point a bowl type has?

Others have more capacity?
You said this was ??? 6 foot?

I guess maybe you want to disclose what type and volume of parts that you are expecting to run.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I had a big Hutson that puked oil until I couldn't take it anymore. Came out of the old Greenfield plant complete with a worn liner and a few tap blanks stuck in the corners

I think what we found is anything with too much mass will bang into each other and do more damage than good so we typically use the other for prob 2" cube and down type parts. Mostly Aluminum but do run some stainless pins.

I think part of the issue we had was we were talked into this "synthetic media" IIRC. It is not the typical plastic. I don't think it works all that fast, and it leaves a TON of slurry.

In another shop, we ran nothing but box types for longer parts but I was not very involved with that. I don't recall run times, media, etc but another guy said they are way faster..... that is probably why I am questioning if a bowl has any real advantage.

I had a big Hutson that puked oil until I couldn't take it anymore. Came out of the old Greenfield plant complete with a worn liner and a few tap blanks stuck in the corners
This one indeed has a pressurized oil lube system. Our other one just runs on grease. Doesn't seem to me like the speeds would require oil lube IMO. I do know our other one nuked twice though. Spherical bearings are not cheap and trying to get preloading right is a pain due to design.

My vibe has these in it:

1699552254360.png

And we were taking out the upper bearing too frequently.
It was greased very regularly, but the machine would turn the grease to oil and then it would drain to the bottom.
Never knocked out the bottom bearing - as it had an oil bath....

We moved up one grade in grease, and what we run now appears to simply be wheel bearing grease. (?)
It is actually rated for vibrating applications.
Have not replaced a bearing since.

-----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

My vibe has these in it:

View attachment 415421

And we were taking out the upper bearing too frequently.
It was greased very regularly, but the machine would turn the grease to oil and then it would drain to the bottom.
Never knocked out the bottom bearing - as it had an oil bath....

We moved up one grade in grease, and what we run now appears to simply be wheel bearing grease. (?)
It is actually rated for vibrating applications.
Have not replaced a bearing since.

-----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!
Do tell me more about that grease! For being such simple devices, they sure can be a real pain to repair.
Yes, those sphericals are what we have as well.

We have a large (approx 6ft diam) Hutson bowl type tumbler. Don't recall our investment but not much. Came from a friend who thinks they fried the drive motor and pulled it off line. I'm certain there is more going on though. We already have a smaller bowl type but wanted another to have other media options but I am wondering if these bowls are the right thing to own? Basically I am second guessing if we should fix and run?

I also considered installing a VFD on the drive motor to vary speed a bit. I recall someone mentioning it could be quite handy for dialing in certain operations. This Hutson appears extremely robust. It is heavy and a PITA to move. It does not have an unloader but former company started making one for it. Nothing too special here. It had to sit outside a year but it's not hurt other than needs stuff like wiring, hydro hoses, etc. Nothing I can't deal with.

In one part we were making, we were trying to get the shine out of Al parts and were switching between the plastic media and loaded cob for polishing. What a PITA! It made me want another but also questioning if we are using the machine for what it''s really good at! We do some debur for about 3+hrs. It's a lot of time to count, toss in, pick all the parts out, count again and clean.
Don’t count shit get a scale and weigh it

Back