What's new
What's new

What will the new disruptive technology be that rocks the manufacturing boat.

Keuffel and Esser got bought in the 80's by AKON, which now pretty much only makes paper, and maybe some ink. No drafting equipment, slide rules, surveying gear, or any of the other hardware K&E used to make.

Keuffel and Esser got bought in the 80's by AKON, which now pretty much only makes paper, and maybe some ink. No drafting equipment, slide rules, surveying gear, or any of the other hardware K&E used to make.

What.....no buggy whips?

Seriously, I started with drafting machines, and LOVED them. My dad and grandfather were both draftsmen. I still have grandpa's drafting kit, complete with ink pens. Think about THAT for a moment.......drafting in INK. He drew for Unitcast in Toledo Ohio.

I still do drafting in ink once in a while. Got a whole drawer of old rapidographs and other technical pens. They are fussy beasts, though. You get really good at field stripping and cleaning them.

There's still a huge amount of scientific illustration done in biology with rapidographs.

The ultrasonic cleaner sort of revolutionized the field-strip operation for those...

Back