What's new
What's new

What's missing on this Hendey compound

skipd1

Cast Iron
Does anyone know what's missing on my Hendey 12x30 compound to lock the adjusting ring. Now all it does is spin around and won't stay in position? On the PDF parts breakdown it shows a small indistinguishable round spring that is unrecognizable.

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

shouldn't be hard to figure this out for yourself. find a small non-distinguished round spring, and some kind of plunger.

P.S., if you need an emergency spring assortment, those crappy hex key sets on a ring, with the wire wrapped around to hold them on, work. just pull to expand them and make a compression spring. good range of diameters, way better than most spring assortments. that trick has saved my ass a number of times.

(apologies to the cognoscenti, now ive done it, let our secret out!:D )

skipd1:

The item you are missing is the Index Dial Spring. It was used on the 12 inch High Speed Shaper and on lathes from 12 inch through 20 inch. It is made from #26 music wire and bent to a special shape after bending into a circle and grinding the edges. This has not been a stock item for over 35 years. I was able to locate the drawing for this spring and if you would like to make one, I can sell you the drawing. The drawing number is B11-183A. Contact me for copying and shipping charges.

Hendeyman

Back