What's new
What's new

what's with the usps? i've shipped parts and ordered materials and no dice?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond

everything is in limbo. is there a strike, layoffs, anarchy , going postal ?

i have tooling and aluminum , shipped to me nearly a month ago , listed as "in transit to next facility"
parts that i've sent...the same. all sitting for at least two weeks in atlanta, 60 miles from me.

anyone care to speculate ?

I've shipped a couple hundred parts with USPS. They have not lost one yet though one was delayed for a few weeks without explanation. The pricing for a flat rate envelope with an 8 pound casting in it to anywhere in the US and territories seems fair enough at about 9 dollars. Delivery usually within 3 days. No complaints.

Denis

USPS tracking has gone to shit, not sure what the problem is, have you checked with receiver to see if items have arrived? So far everything I've ordered in past few months has arrived, but tracking them was fruitless.

everything is in limbo. is there a strike, layoffs, anarchy , going postal ?

i have tooling and aluminum , shipped to me nearly a month ago , listed as "in transit to next facility"
parts that i've sent...the same. all sitting for at least two weeks in atlanta, 60 miles from me.

anyone care to speculate ?
I ship exclusively through USPS mostly using the small and medium flat rate boxes.
Every once in a while tracking stops. Once in a great while a package goes astray and I have found that placing a claim with USPS always results in a follow up from the post office where I dropped the package at. Issue is usually resolved within a couple of days.
Personally I rate them a bit better than UPS or FedEx.
Try starting the process here:

Shipped hundreds and hundreds of items with Postal Service.
as @standardparts says, rather deal with USPS than others.
EZ, drop small packages in a mailbox, or leave it in your own, deliver to the USPS desk.
They're faster than others, due to the simple fact they deliver on Saturday.

A local office certainly can be BAD, no question

My usps has turned terrible. Mail carrier said regional sort center has 3-4 days of mail stacked up waiting to be processed. Some days they will get no letters or newspapers to deliver, other days will be a weeks worth. I've had some checks be delivered late. I have had no complaints until the last couple of months.

your experience may vary. good or worse . i'm dealing with a hub in atlanta that refuses
to expedite parcels , sent or received . monday will be almost a month. i doubt
reminding them to look will get things rolling . it's not a single issue. six orders.

just did a search, "palmetto" ga postal workers refuse to do their jobs".
federal positions. postal workers who make more than a living wage ...probably
more than many machinists here... and benefits and pension and med and dental.
drinking monster energy drink and vaping in the breakroom. while i need delrin and
6061 and clevis pins and 22uf 450v capacitors to get paid.

that's my rant.

Last edited:
I place an order on March 3
The package was to go from Hingham to Waltham, MA. Distance maybe 25 Miles.
This is the tracking information I received
Hingham, MA 4-March 9 59 PM
Nashua, NH 4-March 11 49 PM. Nashua is approximately 50 miles north of Hingham.
Boston, MA 5 March 2 05 PM. Boston is approximately 40 miles south of Nashua.
Boston, MA. 11 March. Delivery delayed. Package in the system.
But this is the best part, saved for last. When I visited the local distribution hub I was told the tracking information is computer generated and has no actual relevance. I am lead to believe that the increase in postal rates is to cover the cost of storage

Same thing here. Item shipped January 31. The last tracking entry is from February 8. It went to the Shreveport sort facility and apparently hasn't been seen since. The local post office said two other packages have the same issue.

Nothing but continuing horror stories.

I'm in Wisconsin and I routinely order from an outfit in Florida. The merch gets shipped through the system and winds up in the big Milwaukee post office before it's spit out to my little burg 30 miles west. This arrives in Milw normally. But the Milwaukee brain trust repeatedly sends it to Portland Oregon. Presto, I now have a two week wait.

I asked my carrier the wtf questions and he says they can't get help. It's the typical song, people don't show up or work for a couple weeks and quit. In the milwaukee or any big city office they also have a problem where applicants can't pass a drug test. So they grab managers from outlying stations to fill in. And these managers from a small town have no idea what is going on at a big facility when there's 20 semis side by side and 15 fork trucks zooming all over.

** And I routinely get small ebay packages from China in 4-5 days.
C'mon murica fix it.

Nothing but continuing horror stories.

I'm in Wisconsin and I routinely order from an outfit in Florida. The merch gets shipped through the system and winds up in the big Milwaukee post office before it's spit out to my little burg 30 miles west. This arrives in Milw normally. But the Milwaukee brain trust repeatedly sends it to Portland Oregon. Presto, I now have a two week wait.

I asked my carrier the wtf questions and he says they can't get help. It's the typical song, people don't show up or work for a couple weeks and quit. In the milwaukee or any big city office they also have a problem where applicants can't pass a drug test. So they grab managers from outlying stations to fill in. And these managers from a small town have no idea what is going on at a big facility when there's 20 semis side by side and 15 fork trucks zooming all over.

** And I routinely get small ebay packages from China in 4-5 days.
C'mon murica fix it.
I'm in SE Wisconsin and the Oak Creek (Milwaukee) sort facility has been good for shit for years now.
Expect, if not already, formerly efficient service providers will decline to the level of USPS.

I'm in SE Wisconsin and the Oak Creek (Milwaukee) sort facility has been good for shit for years now.
Expect, if not already, formerly efficient service providers will decline to the level of USPS.

Yup Oak Creek is the bottleneck. Apparently had a drug bust of sorts at the place a few years ago per a keep it quiet story. I'm in Oconomowoc.

Everything up here goes thru St Paul Sort, then to Eau Claire b4 Cable, never Mil

They will send Media mail thru an inspection facility, saw that frequently.

Wonder what's changed to turn things bad as people have described?

Last edited:
Every bank check I write to pay the water bill or dentist bill or whatever, gets stolen by the USPS. I have been forced
to put everything on bank draft auto pay.
Once I bought a 10" 4 jaw chuck from ebay.
They shipped it USPS from California.
It got to my local post office, from clear across the
country, and the PO sent me a note they would not
deliver it to my house, because it was too heavy for
the woman who drives the mail truck. So I went to
my local USPS office, and dicked around for almost
an hour while they looked for it in the back. I had
my tracking number and everything. Finally I said
it was a big heavy box, probably the most heavy
box you guys got back there. She said, "Oh, why
didn't you say so?". Look lady, I gave you the piece
of paper that said it was too heavy to deliver, with
the tracking number ! ? ! ? ! Shortly some dude
carried it out from the back, who had never washed
his hair in months, and probably never had taken a
bath in just as long. Smelled like weed, and totally
clueless. Thanks fella. Well I got my Bison 10"
chuck, but what a fuk knuckle circus the PO is.

-Doozer

what a fuk knuckle circus the PO is.
The one in blaine has one white guy who is okay but kind of boring, one mexican guy who always pulls some trick then goes "no no no, I was just kidding you" and one grandma with white hair who always tries to save you fifty cents "better buy a sheet of stamps today, on monday they are going up" .... like, I use one stamp a week, I can probably afford the ten cent increase ....

Going there was always entertaining. Pretty nice people but definitely goofy. The post office has always been okay for me.

Back