What's new
What's new

What's your essential toolholder list?

What are planning on using a a cutting tool material?
Its going to be 65-45-12 or 85-55-8 ductile iron.
Only 25-50pc /yr.
I'll take advantage of the 50 taper and run carbide inserted tools for 90% of the part.
I want to run it wet so I don't need a dust extraction system, so no ceramic or CBN for me :D

A little late to this one, but I'd get your tool cert and load up with Big Daishowa holders. Our Yasda's are tooled up 100% with Big Daishowa (Kaiser) holders, and the difference in quality of holders is amazing. The accuracy, and rigidity of their Mega E collet system is next level.

A little late to this one, but I'd get your tool cert and load up with Big Daishowa holders. Our Yasda's are tooled up 100% with Big Daishowa (Kaiser) holders, and the difference in quality of holders is amazing. The accuracy, and rigidity of their Mega E collet system is next level.
The Big Daishowa milling chucks look worth while, but holy cow the hydraulics and ER collet chucks are expensive.
$1500CAD for a hydraulic and $900 for an ER 32 is pretty up there.

I'll give the lyndex SK stuff a shot, and re-visit the Big Daishowa if they aren't performing, but I think just about anything will be fine in a 50 taper.

The Big Daishowa milling chucks look worth while, but holy cow the hydraulics and ER collet chucks are expensive.
$1500CAD for a hydraulic and $900 for an ER 32 is pretty up there.

I'll give the lyndex SK stuff a shot, and re-visit the Big Daishowa if they aren't performing, but I think just about anything will be fine in a 50 taper.
Don't bother with their ER stuff. If you're gonna go with Big Daishowa, go for the Mega E, or Mega New Baby. Our Big Daishowa rep told us they're phasing out their ER stuff. Big Daishowa milling chucks are next level too.

Everything we had quoted against lyndex, and we never saw more than a 10% difference in price. But that might just be a difference in vendor discounts or something.

Its going to be 65-45-12 or 85-55-8 ductile iron.
Only 25-50pc /yr.
I'll take advantage of the 50 taper and run carbide inserted tools for 90% of the part.
I want to run it wet so I don't need a dust extraction system, so no ceramic or CBN for me :D
I like Maritool's 1.25" hydraulics for big inserted endmills, and their facemill holders with 1.0" pilots and up. Note that 3/4" piloted facemill holders are a bit weak in the drive dogs. This is an issue with all 3/4" piloted facemill holders IME, not a problem unique to Mari. We replace the drive dogs on 3/4" fm holders every year as preventative maintenance.

For "in between" sized indexable cutters, namely 2.0", Capto is really nice because it completely eliminates the drive dog setup.

For big endmills, Lyndex Nikken's milling chucks are pretty decent. We have a few of their 6" length CAT50 holders.

Running wet with Durabar ductile iron is the way to go. It's dirty, but so's running dry. Vacuuming and air blast are totally impractical for moving large volumes of chips form the cutting area down to the conveyors.

I like Maritool's 1.25" hydraulics for big inserted endmills, and their facemill holders with 1.0" pilots and up. Note that 3/4" piloted facemill holders are a bit weak in the drive dogs. This is an issue with all 3/4" piloted facemill holders IME, not a problem unique to Mari. We replace the drive dogs on 3/4" fm holders every year as preventative maintenance.

For "in between" sized indexable cutters, namely 2.0", Capto is really nice because it completely eliminates the drive dog setup.

For big endmills, Lyndex Nikken's milling chucks are pretty decent. We have a few of their 6" length CAT50 holders.

Running wet with Durabar ductile iron is the way to go. It's dirty, but so's running dry. Vacuuming and air blast are totally impractical for moving large volumes of chips form the cutting area down to the conveyors.

Not to hijack the thread but...
How do you deal with the goop from running cast iron with coolant, do you somehow filter the coolant before it returns to the tank?
I guess your machines don't turn off at night, but I'd also be concerned about all the stuff stuck to the walls turning to concrete if the machine was sitting idle for more than a few hours.

It stays goopy forever. :)

Doesn't really harden until it dries out.
Like ma always said, better goopy in the tank than goopy in your lungs.

Thanks for the warning about the drive dogs on smaller face mill arbors.

Using a hydraulic for inserted endmills would have been at the bottom of my list, but you could probably get pretty crazy with longer HF mills with the dampening on them.

Great food for thought. I think breaking face mill arbors isn't something most of us worry about, since we're not plowing through 10k lbs of cast iron every month.

Back