What's new
What's new

Where do i post questions regarding beginner advice and startup?

Hi. I just registered to be able to ask questions about machining, but cannot find a way to ask a question other than commenting on someone else's, which is not related. Anyone able to tell me how to post a question on this forum?
Thanks,
Eljay

QT:[Hi. I just registered to be able to ask questions about machining, but cannot find a way to ask a question other than commenting on someone else's, which is not related. Anyone able to tell me how to post a question on this forum?
Thanks,
Eljay]

likely best to ask your question .. A good place to start.

The proper way is to go to the forum page and pick the most likely forum and follow instructions.

Choose a title that relates to the problem so later someone can search the subject and question.

"Post a new thread" is at the bottom of the selected forum page.

If you want to know.."Can you lathe turn a screw thread with not having a half-nut dial?"

Your thread title might be "Are peanut butter sandwiches good for lunch?"

If u plan on buying a mill or lathe, don’t even turn it on or even attempt to make a part until u have taught yourself the basic fundamentals of using the various types of indicators in the machinist trade and until u have a thorough understanding about how an indicator works. Don’t buy anything with a digital readout machine wise. Learn how to split .020 between direct dials first. If I was to try to learn about machinist work at age 16, I would go find a Makerspace, builders guild,or something like that. Or I’d have some balls and walk right into the local job shop, and ask for part time work at 10 bucks an hour. And if they say no. Keep hitting the small dirty job shops up until they do accept you. If u start machine work at 16. You’ll be at 35 an hour by the time you’re 25 years old. Good luck.

Fuck Tubacain. I own a lot of his featured writings: “The Milling Machine”, etc. I also own how to run a lathe. That type of shit including tubalcains confusing weird YouTube videos on prehistoric indexing heads will leave a newbie confused off their ass. Get real.

Fuck Tubacain. I own a lot of his featured writings: “The Milling Machine”, etc. I also own how to run a lathe. That type of shit including tubalcains confusing weird YouTube videos on prehistoric indexing heads will leave a newbie confused off their ass. Get real.

I think tubalcains methods are just what a 16-year-old should watch/learn. A CNC router might be a good start for a 16-year-old. At 18 a job in a manual machine shop perhaps just sweeping the floor, with studying programing at home.
Computer savvy kids should catch on to programming. But machine shop does not mean slacking at school. There is some math in machining so school skills can still be important so you don't become a lifetime machine operator.

There are good machine operator jobs to be had but you need to pass an HR person who chooses according to his/her education, and every home town does not have these good jobs..so get-the-job skills are important.

A decent lathe the quality of a south bend/logan with having a mill vise might be an ok/good start.
A starting machine shop might be a lathe, drill press with a drill tap chart, a bench grinder, a good bench vise, a hack saw, a digital caliper, a set of jobber drills, and what you need to run your first projects.
*But you can kill yourself with this much/ so safety skills are important.

Back