What's new
What's new

WHERE DO YOU HIRE PEOPLE ??

I’m not asking you to advertise. Ask yourself are you being competitive with other shops around you. When people say they can’t hire anybody, 80% of the time I’d say it’s because of salary.
I can ask myself about it, but I can't answer myself nothing. I have no idea what the other shops in my area offering to be honest. Shops are all different, work environment means a lot for someone (good machinery, good facility, good tools, good people around), but someone will work for better pay in the shop with 100 years old half broken machines with the head flash light on so he can see something. How to offer the same for such a different people?

Look on Indeed at places that are hiring. That will give you an idea on what the going rate is. If you can afford to go higher than the rest you should be able to find someone. Although it may take time to find someone worth while.

I'm currently looking as well and the applications are less than desirable. Even going through posted resumes on job boards it's slim pickings.

Look on Indeed at places that are hiring. That will give you an idea on what the going rate is. If you can afford to go higher than the rest you should be able to find someone. Although it may take time to find someone worth while.

I'm currently looking as well and the applications are less than desirable. Even going through posted resumes on job boards it's slim pickings.
Good idea, how didn't I thought about it....=) Thank you!

Good idea, how didn't I thought about it....=) Thank you!
You can try Craigslist as well.

How much are you willing to train?
So I eat fast food a lot, go to gas stations.
I watch how people in those jobs work and make mental notes.
Over many times if I see something I like I hand them my card and say "call me".
I have had much better luck bringing in people who seem like good workers over people with a machining background.

How much are you willing to train?
So I eat fast food a lot, go to gas stations.
I watch how people in those jobs work and make mental notes.
Over many times if I see something I like I hand them my card and say "call me".
I have had much better luck bringing in people who seem like good workers over people with a machining background.
I think I will train whatever time it will take, I just should see the person really need it. If he will act like he should do this and it's hard and not for him and he's doing it just to make better pay then before, of course any training doesn't make sense at that point..
I train myself everyday, you never know everything. But I'm willing to learn a lot. Hope to hire same people (maybe it's something "Fantastick")

About a decade ago I saw a Subway Sandwich Artist who really impressed me. Working fast and accurate on one order while taking the next, storing it all in his head without error, and even maintaining eye contact. I told him he should pursue a career in machining, and I would have hired him on the spot if I'd been in a position to do so.

I poached my first employee from my former employer where I had worked with him. I was tired of working 80hr weeks and needed someone who could hit the ground running. He stayed for 10 yrs.

Maybe I'll say something stupid, and off topic, but ....
Some tangible number of refugees from Ukraine seem to have arrived in the United States. Ukraine is an industrialized country, there are many people working in metal processing. I suspect that these people will be very happy with any relatively qualified job. Maybe you should look in groups like "work for refugees" or something like that.
And yet - have you tried to contact the "employment service" or the labor exchange, or some similar institution? Maybe they have people looking for a job in the profile you need.

One reason I used to love auctions is you dont just buy stuff,but you stand around talking to people and get introduced to others .....or even approach someone after they have bought something.........you often got a captive audience of people you wouldnt ever get to see normally......bosses and shop managers.

Maybe I'll say something stupid, and off topic, but ....
Some tangible number of refugees from Ukraine seem to have arrived in the United States. Ukraine is an industrialized country, there are many people working in metal processing. I suspect that these people will be very happy with any relatively qualified job. Maybe you should look in groups like "work for refugees" or something like that.
And yet - have you tried to contact the "employment service" or the labor exchange, or some similar institution? Maybe they have people looking for a job in the profile you need.
Unfortunately. I have talked to few Ukrainian guys, and all I heard back is "truck driver makes $8-$12K with no skills, in Europe for the same job they pay $6000 a months, etc." and I was confused, because I wanted to actually help them to get a decent long term job. But them both had no machining experience and CNC related experience, wanted around $6k from the very start to make a living. No one didn't show up anyway after phone talk.
I can't pay people that much for taking my time and learn while I'm loosing other jobs because of slowdown due to this education period.
I looked in my area, numbers really vary. The one fresh I saw was $12.5/hour, with no experience. I would pay $15+ if no experience, and $20+ and more if with experience I guess. This numbers look actual in my area.

That right there is your problem...$20/hr for an experienced machinist in the current market, hahahahahaha
Experience may differ my friend. If you have 20 years of experience machining one bolt, it's not an experience and I wish that experienced machinists to keep building his career in the same place if company needs him.
I will pay more for sure if person worth it. The value that employee brings to the table equal pay he deserves. ?
ha ha ha
ha

I was getting $20/hr fresh out of school in '96, and I'm not even in a coastal state. Now days that's Starbucks pay. If you want someone who will put in effort, have attention to detail, and get their hands dirty, you should be paying about twice that.

My coworker's son (still in high school) earns $21 while operating the cash register at In-N-Out. This is in the Sacramento region. He has been at it for a few months now.

Luckily most of the machine shops around Sacramento have caught on in the last year or so. Most places advertise for $35-40 now. Better places are up to 50 per hour for highly qualified candidates. Down in Oakland there are jobs in the 75-80 dollar per hour range. I did the math, and even with the higher cost of living I think I would be better off with one of those Oakland jobs but I am tied to the Sacramento region because I bought when the interest rates were low.

Almost every single one of my machinist friends, and myself, switched employers in the last 12 months for better pay.
I would pay $15+ if no experience, and $20+ and more if with experience I guess. This numbers look actual in my area.

Which area is this? Are you in America?

My coworker's son (still in high school) earns $21 while operating the cash register at In-N-Out. This is in the Sacramento region. He has been at it for a few months now.

Luckily most of the machine shops around Sacramento have caught on in the last year or so. Most places advertise for $35-40 now. Better places are up to 50 per hour for highly qualified candidates. Down in Oakland there are jobs in the 75-80 dollar per hour range. I did the math, and even with the higher cost of living I think I would be better off with one of those Oakland jobs but I am tied to the Sacramento region because I bought when the interest rates were low.

Almost every single one of my machinist friends, and myself, switched employers in the last 12 months for better pay.

Which area is this? Are you in America?
$80. an hour in Oakland, California for a machinist?
Passing up $80. hour----how much differance in interest could matter?

Back