What's new
What's new

Which CNC would you recommend?

4NG3L

Plastic
Hello
So I want to start with manufacturing (custom car parts, drone frames, tactical accessories etc), and I'm looking for the optimal CNC to get started. I'm not looking for any big brands as they always cost more than people usually can afford on entry. I sometimes see how people make $500k a year or more but they always mention they borrowed money to buy a $5k CNC to get started, but I won't be doing that.
I'm a big DIY guy and I love learning stuff, so upgradeability would be a big plus when choosing. I work as a 3d artist so I won't be relaying on this CNC for my income any time soon, but I want to be able to upgrade it as this business grows.
So based on this, I'll post few examples in the following posts, please give me your opinion which one would be better.
I'm looking for a CNC that can machine aluminum with the best precision possible for my budget.

Variant 1 (4060, Z range 100mm)
Spindle Kraissmann 910W
Rails: SBR20
Motors: NEMA 23
Y-axis - single central motor

Attachments

• grif-4060-11-min.jpg
    grif-4060-11-min.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 10
  • grif-4060-22-min.jpg
    grif-4060-22-min.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 10
  • grif-4060-33-min.jpg
    grif-4060-33-min.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I'm looking for a CNC that can machine aluminum with the best precision possible for my budget.
And what might that budget be?

Edit: nevermind. Your locations says Ukraine. Most of the information you get here won't apply.

Variant 2 (4060, Z range 170mm)
Spindle: 800W
Rails: SBR20
Motors: NEMA23
Y-axis - double motors next to the rails.

Attachments

• 4497692582_w600_h600_4497692582.jpg
    4497692582_w600_h600_4497692582.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 5
  • 4262812715_w600_h600_4262812715.jpg
    4262812715_w600_h600_4262812715.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 4256100198_w600_h600_4256100198.jpg
    4256100198_w600_h600_4256100198.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
And what might that budget be?

Edit: nevermind. Your locations says Ukraine. Most of the information you get here won't apply.
Yep, that's why I didn't write it, it's under 2k USD, stuff can cost completely different here, something costs more, something costs less, so my budget would tell you nothing about my buying options))

It seems to me it's a good idea to have 2 Y-axis motors so it moves evenly when the spindle is on the end positions of the X-axis.
However I'm not sure about the locations of those Y motors, is it good/bad they're this high, or I'm overthinking it and it doesn't matter?

For the option 2 - I will be able to buy a better table later, so I actually wonder which of these two would you consider a better initial design, not by motor parameters but by the geometry/location of its parts and therefore later upgradeability.

Last edited:
40x20x20ish, 10k rpm min, 10hp min, drip feed, full enclosure, Cat40, 20+ ATC, coolant (flood is fine for now), rigid tap.

Probing would be a big plus, as would an A axis.

Biggest- a popular control with a solid post for legit CAM.

Yep, that's why I didn't write it, it's under 2k USD, stuff can cost completely different here, something costs more, something costs less, so my budget would tell you nothing about my buying options))
This is probably not the forum that can answer your question, this forum is more for commercial grade machine tools etc, the machines within your budget are not allowed to be talked about on here. You'd get better and more pertinent information on one of the hobbyist forums, try c** z**** or the like.

40x20x20ish, 10k rpm min, 10hp min, drip feed, full enclosure, Cat40, 20+ ATC, coolant (flood is fine for now), rigid tap.

Probing would be a big plus, as would an A axis.

Biggest- a popular control with a solid post for legit CAM.
Thanks, those sound like great upgrades, but I'm looking for more starting point advice, like overall construction, things that can't be easily changed/upgraded so they need to be chosen carefully.

Sure. Seems like a prime spot for a VF2, VMC4020, or other early 90s simple iron setup.

Or were you thinking Grob G550? That would definitely be preferable to a clapped out Fadal.
Not sure how good of an idea it is for a beginner to buy an old heavy mill that went out of production many decades ago, definitely needs refurbishing and doesn't have any parts available in any store in a thousands of kilometers radius 😅
Also it's at least 5 times over my budget.
I've already been told this is a forum for commercial grade machining so I get it why the disconnect 🥲

Thanks, those sound like great upgrades, but I'm looking for more starting point advice, like overall construction, things that can't be easily changed/upgraded so they need to be chosen carefully.
That is the starting point. Your project list isn't beginner work, at least not with any process reliability, so it's going to take a real machine.

That is the starting point. Your project list isn't beginner work, at least not with any process reliability, so it's going to take a real machine.
I'm not looking for any high volume manufacturing with this machine, rather prototyping and small batches.

I think people are going to beat you up rather hard here.
Your questions are correct but the audience is not.
Most (many) here would not consider the things you are looking at above as "real" machine tools.
Yeah, I got that 😅 I now posted this question on "another" forum, but I'll stick around here as well to increase the chance of a valuable advice, after all maybe one day I'll grow to their level🤞

Not sure how good of an idea it is for a beginner to buy an old heavy mill that went out of production many decades ago, definitely needs refurbishing and doesn't have any parts available in any store in a thousands of kilometers radius 😅
Also it's at least 5 times over my budget.
I've already been told this is a forum for commercial grade machining so I get it why the disconnect 🥲

Your assumptions are not accurate. Real CNCs from 30+ years ago are still a great starting out point and can even work hard everyday if you get the right ones.

I don't know how the used market is in Ukraine, but in the US you can buy a working older machine for not much more than your budget.

Back