What's new
What's new

Which lathe to buy? New Doosan vs used Haas??

If the Haas will do your work and you're saving $80k + .... that's hard to beat.

There is also a ton of hidden value in tooling. Tooling up a new machine adds up quick.

In todays economic climate I would want peace of mind a paid off machine gives.

I would not be deterred just because there aren't a ton of machines near by that you can buy, trucking and freight companies do exist for a reason.

If you can justify the new machine (either via cash or loan) I think the DN Lynx 2600 would be a worthwhile machine, but I would seriously consider getting more than just a 2 axis lathe. Maybe add on live tooling or Y axis if you can swing it. It is a price jump but it will allow you to do a ton more and take on more work. Okuma and Mazak also have some very worthwhile options to look at, with the Okuma Genos line and the new QT-Ez line from Mazak (although if you go the QT-Ez route you may be waiting a while on it.....) I would also consider something from Hwacheon if you have some form of representation from them in your area, they build some solid machines as well.

However, if you are only going to go the 2 axis route, you may find that buying something used is still suitable. I mean there are a bunch of Mazak Quick Turns on the market in various conditions that would be suitable for you. I saw a 2009 (or 08) QTN250M on a used website not long ago, came with a full set of tooling and was somewhere in the $70k range. I also got an email from another dealer today with two QTN250MS machines with 8 or 10 foot bar feeds on them for around $80k. These options are still probably a bit more than the used Haas you speak of, and may even be in the range of what the new 2 axis Lynx would cost.

Do a little internet digging, you would be surprised what options you can find!

I was in the same boat about a year ago, was leaning hard towards a Haas. Then saw a shop with 90’s Mazak QT smoking a later model Haas ST of the same size. Ended up getting a Mazak QT with dead batteries, reinitialized the control, basic maintenance and was up and running.

I’ve seen several SQT and QT Mazaks for about about 7-10k after fees at auctions.

I mostly decided against buying the haas but the owner called me up again the other day and really wants the space, reduced price even further. And at the same time the USD has become much stronger which has increased price of a new machine considerably. I think I have to buy it at this point. Were talking less then 22k USD for a machine with 2000 hours on it. The new Doosan is exactly 5 times the price. Thats big difference. The Haas does have much more Z travel too, and more torque. Might come in handy on some jobs.

It might actually be a really good fit for us. Our old mazak is only used maybe 50% of the time. We dont really need another lathe to keep up. Mostly need a new lathe as a backup in case our old girl eventually dies (Shes 41 years old!), we need larger capacity for bigger parts and bigger bars on some jobs. So we can keep using our mazak on many of our jobs, and the Haas should do everything our mazak cant do.

In terms of tolerance most our lathe work is like +/-0.001", dont really need to hold couple tenths, but would certainly need to be doing better then +/- 0.005". Is this reasonable to expect from this machine?

+/-.001 is doable if someone checks parts and adjusts offsets until it is up to temp. Over the course of 4-5 hours the x will grow a few thousands.

I really do think you're getting a good machine for the money, seems like your expectations are realistic.

Also in terms of the control. It seems to be built in a transition time. It has the stainless panel, and modern looking buttons, but LCD is small and it does have an analog meter which someone mentioned is a red flag. I have seen other 2006 machines for sale built few months later with the larger LCD and no analog meter. Shame it didnt have the newer style.

I did call haas and they tell me this machine is still supported. The motherboard is still available. It does cost over $5000 and god knows what it would cost to install. But sounds better then $20k. And who knows, might never have to deal with that problem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221007-102513_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221007-102513_Video Player.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 28
Also in terms of the control. It seems to be built in a transition time. It has the stainless panel, and modern looking buttons, but LCD is small and it does have an analog meter which someone mentioned is a red flag. I have seen other 2006 machines for sale built few months later with the larger LCD and no analog meter. Shame it didnt have the newer style.

I did call haas and they tell me this machine is still supported. The motherboard is still available. It does cost over $5000 and god knows what it would cost to install. But sounds better then $20k. And who knows, might never have to deal with that problem.
Congrats on the purchase. Looks like it was well cared for.

QT op (There are not many used machines in my area at all, )
Shipping a machine is not a big deal, You might look all over the country for a like-new good deal.

Ive really been struggling to find a good deal on a good used lathe. Im in Canada. Its bit of a headache to get a machine from the US, not impossible im sure. There hasnt been much listed within Canada lately with 10" chuck, 3" bore and reasonable Z travel. Anything like-new is close enough to new price that I might as well buy new.

And whenever i look at used machines online I see an aweful lot of shit hauled machines for sale? You click into a youtube video then about machine and you see a greasy salesman talking about how smooth and quiet the machine is when the spindle is just roaring while turning over in the background lol. God knows what other surprises you will find. Travel is expensive these days too, hardly worth flying to inspect a machine.

I did see this machine online. Would be good machine for us, its good price, but man she looks to be well used. https://merchantmachinetools.com/machines/?machine_id=7177610

QT: Op (Anything like new is close enough to the new price that I might as well buy new.)
Oh, I did not see your location, good to add it to your profile.
Agree, buying from a dealer you might as well buy new.
(Michigan and Ohio are better shopping zones. I have seen some great machines at auctions but not lately, and even at the nicest shops you can't tell just by looking..and a dealer machine you can't be sure..)
Michigan:

You might call these guys and tell then what you need

Last edited:
Almost every machine I own has come from local shops. It's made some great connections and sales. Not bad either to have someone near buy that knows the machine in case you get hung up on something. Huge risk to truck in someone else's nightmare.

I did see this machine online. Would be good machine for us, its good price, but man she looks to be well used. https://merchantmachinetools.com/machines/?machine_id=7177610

I actually think that machine looks good. There's nothing there to tell me that the machine is not in good working condition. Of course, an inspection could tell you differently. The only think I don't like is how far those jaws are hanging off the chuck gripping that tube.

I actually think that machine looks good. There's nothing there to tell me that the machine is not in good working condition. Of course, an inspection could tell you differently. The only think I don't like is how far those jaws are hanging off the chuck gripping that tube.
Yeah that says a lot to me about the shop it came from and the life it had. Its cutting a weld prep on a piece of pipe. Probably spend its whole life doing rough work. Possibly by inexperienced operators if thats type of work its doing.

Theres not a spec of paint left anywhere on inside of machine. Spindle override buttons are literally worn through. Z waycover looks like to have some decent wear on it. Just looks like the machine has had a lot of use. Might still be fine, and have years of life left, but certainly does look well used to me.

I'd be leery of that one...if used to bevel pipe then finish was secondary speed was first.
Not saying it couldn't take it but.......
Tin might be shiny buts the guts shot.
Anyway, why would they be getting rid of it if it just does that or similar work?
I would think they would keep it...unless something is /has/or is ready to go out.

keep playing the game see how far the neighbor will drop his drawers!!!....on a serious note though i wouldn't wait too long and let it slip through your fingers. on the sl30's if you plan on doing tailstock work they are known to have some chatter issues. on the processor side there are repair outfits out there reviving old dead boards its not the end of the world if she does go....you will be down for some time i wouldn't let this get in my way. sounds like you've talked yourself into this one 'git er done....

I vote for the Haas.
I don’t think most of the guys on this forum understand just how few machines there are up here. And you’re even worse off if you’re on the island.
Buying sight unseen on a machine that you have to ship a great distance seems horrible to me.
The Haas won’t be as strong as other brands but you can make any machine work for your needs - it just takes longer sometimes.
And it’s Haas, there’s probably more spare parts out there than most machines.

keep playing the game see how far the neighbor will drop his drawers!!!....on a serious note though i wouldn't wait too long and let it slip through your fingers. on the sl30's if you plan on doing tailstock work they are known to have some chatter issues. on the processor side there are repair outfits out there reviving old dead boards its not the end of the world if she does go....you will be down for some time i wouldn't let this get in my way. sounds like you've talked yourself into this one 'git er done....
I agree the tailstock is a horrible design on the SL30, what were they thinking? We will be using tailstock fair bit, but will mostly be smaller stuff. Nearly all our parts could fit on a much smaller lathe, just need the larger size for the occasional job shop part thats little bigger, and also want 3" bar capacity. Hopefully the tailstock issue is not too bad on our smaller parts. We do cut some long threads in aluminum that need to look nice and pretty.

I vote for the Haas.
I don’t think most of the guys on this forum understand just how few machines there are up here. And you’re even worse off if you’re on the island.
Buying sight unseen on a machine that you have to ship a great distance seems horrible to me.
The Haas won’t be as strong as other brands but you can make any machine work for your needs - it just takes longer sometimes.
And it’s Haas, there’s probably more spare parts out there than most machines.
Thats for sure. Theres very little to choose from up here. And pretty much nothing here in NL. There are probably less then a dozen CNC lathes running in the entire province.

Yeah might not be as strong but most our parts are small anyway. Just buying a 10" machine to be able to handle occasional larger jobs, and to get 3" bar capacity. Sort of hoping that a flimsy 10" machine might be as good as a decent 8" machine? That might be wishful thinking though who knows.

Anybody know if this machine has a tensioned ballscrew in X axis? Im assuming this is standard on any lathe these days, but I dont see Haas bragging about it anywhere. And searching the word "ballscrew" in the service manual brings up a bunch of topics on thermal growth. Dont look real good. Can they actually be this bad? Who in the right mind actually buys a brand new Haas lathe?

Back