What's new
What's new

Which material for engine valve spring locators and spring base shims ?

Eagle1903

Plastic
I would be grateful if you could advise the suitable materials for custom making valve spring locators and also base shims which the spring will sit on ( for valve spring installed height adjustment and also preventing the spring to dig into alloy cylinder head )
The base of the spring will be sitting on the locator or on the shim.

It's not as fussy as you'd think.

I made some spring seats for my engine...I used 4140 because it was available. Unhardened. I did some theorizing, and I also talked to one of the oldest and most respected makers of aftermarket 'race' valvetrain parts....and the conclusion was it doesn't matter much....use some sort of steel.

Ultimately, I used a seat as above and a single 'store bought' locator for each valve. Whatever wear resistance is needed, the locator provides. The seat is just steel under compression so just about any steel will work.

But...keep in mind millions of engines were shipped and ran billions of miles with cast iron heads and nothing between the head and spring. So the need for a super-tough spring seat is proven unnecessary.

.185 shims.jpg

It's not as fussy as you'd think.

I made some spring seats for my engine...I used 4140 because it was available. Unhardened. I did some theorizing, and I also talked to one of the oldest and most respected makers of aftermarket 'race' valvetrain parts....and the conclusion was it doesn't matter much....use some sort of steel.

Ultimately, I used a seat as above and a single 'store bought' locator for each valve. Whatever wear resistance is needed, the locator provides. The seat is just steel under compression so just about any steel will work.

But...keep in mind millions of engines were shipped and ran billions of miles with cast iron heads and nothing between the head and spring. So the need for a super-tough spring seat is proven unnecessary.

View attachment 339232

Thank you very much !!

Since there is no significant difference between the 4140HT, 4140QT or 4140PH and they all are in the range of 28-32 Rockwell I can machine the locators, base shims from any 4140 bar stock in its natural state.

If I am not wrong 8620 has very similar characteristics to 4140. But, I may be wrong !!.

Regarding machining, materials and heat treatment etc I am total rookie and Iam trying to assist my colleague ( in our automotive, motorsport workshop ) who is able to perform some basic machining jobs ( for our own needs ) in our big lathe and bench top milling machine.
So, at the same I am learning with your help in the PM forum.

Cheers

Local engine builder regularly brings me comp cams hardened spring spacers to be shortened up. By the way they machine I would say they are shallow carburized 12L14.

Local engine builder regularly brings me comp cams hardened spring spacers to be shortened up. By the way they machine I would say they are shallow carburized 12L14.

Thank you very much. I am not familiar with the 12L14, I will look up to learn about it. Do you know the hardness of the spacer ?

Back