What's new
What's new

Which shop to send out a die set for honing?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I have a fussy problem- I have a set of 32 S&W long wadcutter dies I need honed out to .314
These are old Pacific Durachrome dies.

Is this a non starter- just order a custom die or will one of the big players do this service?

Thanks

Wad cutter dies? Are these standard resizing dies? I have made special expanding punches to size the neck to larger sizes. Also lapped the sizing die so as not to over work the brass. I made a split lap from annealed brass bar and used a set screw to expand it. If a shop did honing I would ask if they had an arbor the size needed to avoid having to pay for the desired size arbor.

Honing what portion of the die? Sizing die body dia, or the seating stem bore?

I *think* the Pacific dies are flash chromed for rust resistance? So not very thick, but maybe still requires SiC stones to break thru it?

Depends on what you're going to load as well, solid base, or hollow base. Revolver, Euro match pistol?

Might check out the bullseye forum for info. 'Some' don't size the case at all for HBWC's, or use special expanders so the bullets are a finger push to seat almost to full depth. Those are easy to source right from the home page. I have a few for 45, 9mm, and 38, and they work great.

HBWC's, unless you can source the 'good ones' from Europe, you might wind up swaging your own to get decent accuracy.

Nothing wrong with steel dies. A lot of people are lubing the cases even with carbide dies. Makes for smoother action on a progressive press, which improves charge uniformity.

I wound up doing a bunch of things for my 929, to use .358 cast bullets so it wouldn't become a lead mine every time I shot it with '9mm' cast bullets. PE expander, and a modified 38 Super die so they wouldn't get sized back down when seating and crimping.

Honing what portion of the die? Sizing die body dia, or the seating stem bore?

I *think* the Pacific dies are flash chromed for rust resistance? So not very thick, but maybe still requires SiC stones to break thru it?

Depends on what you're going to load as well, solid base, or hollow base. Revolver, Euro match pistol?

Might check out the bullseye forum for info. 'Some' don't size the case at all for HBWC's, or use special expanders so the bullets are a finger push to seat almost to full depth. Those are easy to source right from the home page. I have a few for 45, 9mm, and 38, and they work great.

HBWC's, unless you can source the 'good ones' from Europe, you might wind up swaging your own to get decent accuracy.

Nothing wrong with steel dies. A lot of people are lubing the cases even with carbide dies. Makes for smoother action on a progressive press, which improves charge uniformity.

I wound up doing a bunch of things for my 929, to use .358 cast bullets so it wouldn't become a lead mine every time I shot it with '9mm' cast bullets. PE expander, and a modified 38 Super die so they wouldn't get sized back down when seating and crimping.

All the following is 'if I understand this right'...

-Seating stem
-Hollow base
-Euro match with HBWC's
-I was thinking of using the Lapua's

I was just given the note- that the dies I have are not correct given the .314 bore on the gun I have.

And for some god forsaken reason I just purchased a Star so am wandering desperately down that road of obsolete components and the pain of finding them.
The star choice was partially driven by reputation to hit the 1.4-1.7 grain targets for the N130 powder.
So I am also looking at the bushing sequence in the '0' size plates at tenth increments .....

Self imposed so I shouldn't winch about it.

..... and bloddy shell plates.
Perfectly unobtainable so I will be making the damn things ...

Last edited:

Back