What's new
What's new

Whiners and know it alls

I’ve seen so many guys belittling newbies that it’s nauseating.

Cite your examples.
I can't think of anyone here who belittles people because they are newbies, if they ask a question that allows us to give an accurate answer, they will get help.

People only get belittled when they deserve it. For example the ones who ask questions but refuse to take advice because they know more than the combined centuries of knowledge this forum offers.

Isn't every machinist in general a cranky asshole?
That is a terrible thing to say.....but true.
Part of this is that with experience some things seem so simple and obvious so we think all should know.
I ran into this yesterday teaching a setup. The shop dog watching. "Chelsea he is not thinking, can you come show him how to do it".
She ran over and licked him and looked at me like I was an ass. So much for being loyal.
We all had a good laugh and I thought hard about how arrogant I was being.
Sometimes we need a reminder that we all learned this somehow and had teachers we love and teachers we hate.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20170408_183228_865.jpg
    IMG_20170408_183228_865.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 76
Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

stephen king ...

i think that was kathy bates.

i don't care . you have to stay true to the trade, or you'll
look like or feel like a punk...or be treated like such.
i'd rather be an asshole than a punk.

People only get belittled when they deserve it. For example the ones who ask questions but refuse to take advice because they know more than the combined centuries of knowledge this forum offers.

That's called an "Askhole"

Might be thread drift, but I suspect you'll find that it was our generation and the one before it that caused the automation and offshoring etc. Politicians and CEOs tend to be older, rather than younger.

:cheers:

Was referring to OP's generation - the baby boomers (I presume they are baby boomer age given they put in 55yr in the trade. Im only in my 30s!

But yes you're right

I have to say, for a first thread it seems a bit like walking into a bar with a chip on your shoulder. I'm actually surprised so many of the responses have been mild (for now).

Just saying.

Not machinist but engineering...
I tutor the young engineer graduates at work
that we hire fresh out of college. Sometimes
they start as interns and maybe get hired.
So out of school, they don't know about ball
bearings and press fits and threads and things
like that. They know force vectors and bending
moments, stress and strain, but they no nothing
of how that applies to the real world.
So I help them along with their work projects.
I offer up my designs for a solution they may
be working on. Lots of my ideas go into their
projects because I want to see them succeed.
I don't care if they are my ideas, I give them
the glory, and it helps them along. I have
proven myself many times over, it is time to let
some new people shine.
The latest batch, I got a guy and a gal engineer,
both about 24 or 25 years old. The guy I was
helping was challenged to see cause and effect
relationships, and draw logical conclusions.
He had trouble with theory vs reality.
The gal is sharp. Relates everyday examples to
engineering problems readily and easily.
She wants to learn tig welding. I think I will
go to HF and buy her a helmet. Just because.
I been in engineering and I have been in the shop.
People are not born azzholes. They become one.
It is ego. It is a defense mechanism in response
to fear. Poor old guy is an azzhole because he
is afraid. Afraid of loosing out and falling by
the way side. He would have nothing to fear if
he followed the high road the whole time.
But you can't change people and you can't change
the past. All we can go is align ourselves with
the good and steer clear of the bad.
If you are reading this, you either have made a
choice or you have a choice to make. Just remember,
it is not about you. When you are dead and gone,
if you leave nothing, nothing will be there.
But if you give it away, it will come back before
you go.

--Doozer

Volunteering for TDS did that.

F**ked up your ability to understand calendars, numbers, other human beings, and life in general.

Second round is going to be even more tragic for some of you infectees....

Go figure it don't kill you, outright, yet no one escapes the effects alive?

You really can't help yourself, can you?

I'm hoping there's family members that appreciate your caregivers. Goodness knows they deserve a big holiday bonus for what they put up with. Bedpan duties alone would drive anyone mad...

when i was teaching machining..the women students listened
carefully . they really wanted to learn,genuine interest.
the men in the class just didn't want to get kicked off welfare. the girls wanted to learn a skill . they raised a
family apart from an absentee husband .... who was just a
slacker loser , who refused to own up to his family
and raise his children.

Point of order here...Trump aint deranged ,he is cunning as an outhouse rat ,and collecting $4 million a week for his stop the steal and re election funds...So its TDS not DTS.

I still can't figure out where I fit in. I'm a home gamer with all-American stuff, but I'm also a pro that does a bit of everything at my day job (heavy maint. shop, class 8 vehicles and cranes)

Not a real "machinist", but I can do what I need. Not a certified welder, but I've done code work in years past, up to 2k psi. Not a mechanic, but I'm learning to service semis. And sometimes I gotta scratch an itch in the home shop. Mostly I just make or fix tools for the guys at work. So where do I fit in?

Yah, I research the hell out of stuff before I ask questions but I'm not gonna BS anyone and say I know it all, because nobody does.

I try to balance being an asshole with giving good help. I also don't mind calling someone out. There's a grizzly lathe thread going on now that I stirred the pot.

The home shop Harry's (hsh's) that ask normal questions get normal service...those who give attitude when we send them off to home shop sites because they will literally get better answers for their rusted out shit box machines get delt with a bit differently.

There's plenty of regulars on here that are home gamers. They contribute though and get the respect they deserve.

We all know the dickheads here, most can be found in the manufacturing in America and Europe section.

I still can't figure out where I fit in. I'm a home gamer with all-American stuff, but I'm also a pro that does a bit of everything at my day job (heavy maint. shop, class 8 vehicles and cranes)

Not a real "machinist", but I can do what I need. Not a certified welder, but I've done code work in years past, up to 2k psi. Not a mechanic, but I'm learning to service semis. And sometimes I gotta scratch an itch in the home shop. Mostly I just make or fix tools for the guys at work. So where do I fit in?

Yah, I research the hell out of stuff before I ask questions but I'm not gonna BS anyone and say I know it all, because nobody does.

Society is obsessed with labels and credentials.
So if you wonder where you fit in, the answer is you don't.
The easiest way to satisfy your brain is not to give a shlt
because in reality, you have no one to please but yourself.

-Doozer

Society is obsessed with labels and credentials.
So if you wonder where you fit in, the answer is you don't.
The easiest way to satisfy your brain is not to give a shlt
because in reality, you have no one to please but yourself.

-Doozer

And Wonder Woman, if she ain't happy, everyone around here ain't gonna be happy.
IMG_6470.jpg

Back