What's new
What's new

Who makes good snap ring pliers?

Kyle Smith

Stainless
I broke down and bought what I thought would be high quality snap ring pliers after fighting junk ones for too long. I have never purchased Snap On tools before and decided to give them a shot. I traded some work to my brother-in-law for a 5 piece set from the Snap-On truck.

DSC08054.jpg

DSC08056.jpg

DSC08055.jpg

I wasn't really impressed with the level of quality. The tips are tapered,soft, bent, and out of round. I think with some work I could make these acceptable but I would like to buy good tool and be done with it, so does any manufacture make a high quality set?

Last edited:
I prefer the K-D brand tools with interchangeable tips. The tips are made of hex material and heat treated like hex keys, so they are super strong. The part that goes into the tool hole in the snap ring is inverse conical to keep the ring from flying off the tool. If I do break a tip, the tips are sold separately. The pliers themselves will last a lifetime. Four tools cover about any job. They come in large and small, internal and external. The tips come in straight, 45 degree and 90 degree in sizes to fit all the standard internal and external snap rings with tool holes.

Larry

I have two sets of facom ones. They don't have interchangeable heads but they're quality made items and I have no qualms about recommending them over the previous snap-on/bluepoint ones they replaced.
They have a US distributer, and I think they offer a lifetime guarentee on their stuff. Ive got quite a few bits and bobs made by them now and haven't been disappointed yet...

I vote Knipex. We have been using them at work for 12 years now. We probably remove hundreds of snap rings every couple of weeks and these have never failed.

I second the Knipex. The best I have used by far. I haven't broken any of them yet, and for a couple years I only had their smallest sized ones, they opened some very large rings for me - they shouldn't have lived thru it...
They're German, by the way.

Mcmaster also carries them.

ciao

lino

-slowly building up a full set.

**caution**
I've found these to be very high on the "can I borrow these" scale...

Best I have ever used is the Hi-Tech Model 1265-K, crafted with pride in Kerrville, TX, USA. http://www.aeincorporated.com/hi-tech/ K means kit, with three sizes, shift from internal to external with the push of a pin and because they do have interchangeable tips. If you do the same stuff all the time, agree the fixed tips are better. I never know what will come in the door next, so I need the straight, 30-degree, 45-degree, 90-degree capability. Got mine from Hillsboro Distributing 800-541-5977

thnx, jack vines

I have a Knipex set too. They work very well. They are forged, which makes them strong and not very flexible. The tips are canted so the ring doesn't pop off. They also have a little groove futher back so you can grip rings on the OD or ID. Best set I've ever used.

The set you bought off the truck, were they new?
The bottom picture looks like a used tool.

I can't complain about the Snap -on units, have been trouble free for me.
(20 plus years now :eek:)

I use only the fixed position and tip units. I don't have time to mess with little tips or switching back and forth between external/internal.

Don't like the one in the picture? Go back and get another,it will be free of course.

We have one at work I really like. NAPA brand believe it or not.

It has the replaceable hex tips, and a push button type "reverse", which is nice.

1 tool, in a pouch does inside, outside, straight, 45, and 90.

Plus 2 minutes with the grinder and a co-workers "spare" hex wrench ;), and you can make custom tips. I used the "custom" option just a few weeks ago when I needed about 1/4" more reach than I had, pulling a recessed bearing.

Doug S.

I have a twelve piece set from Snap ON and have never had any trouble at all.I no longer fear snap ring removal.The set is about ten years old and is labled made in the U.S.Never any problems but extremely expensive.

Back