What's new
What's new

Who owns a larger shop?

Houdini

Titanium
Just curious,
When I originally started using this site a year a go or so, I thought 'shop owner and management' cool.
that definition can differ, now a year in seems most are just lone rangers, a guy out in a shed on some land with a couple machines.

I know large ones like Orange Vise, and Maritool are on here, and Dennis/dstryr, but I wanted to see how many daily drivers on here actually own a large shop.

Now I don't mean you have 20 manual machines that all together cost less than an auto saw. I mean you have over a million$ in CNC machines and around a dozen employees or more,
you get the drift.

I would think if you had a business that large your not on here trading blows with us sheep, but thought I'd ask, genuinely curious. :cheers:

Most of us are smaller owners/managers dealing with appropriate sized questions.

The larger shops don't come here for advice because they don't need the answers we could provide.

Want to know about ISO9001? If they don't already have someone on staff who knows, they hire a consultant.
What robot should I buy? They sent a few guys to a demo and they talked to multiple sales guys about it and don't need our static noise.
Why can't I hire someone who knows his ass from a hole in the ground? They have connections to the local community college and already have the pipeline figured out.
How do I get customers? They have a full time sales team, not someone who makes cold calls during the quite part of the run time.

Most of us are smaller owners/managers dealing with appropriate sized questions.

The larger shops don't come here for advice because they don't need the answers we could provide.

Want to know about ISO9001? If they don't already have someone on staff who knows, they hire a consultant.
What robot should I buy? They sent a few guys to a demo and they talked to multiple sales guys about it and don't need our static noise.
Why can't I hire someone who knows his ass from a hole in the ground? They have connections to the local community college and already have the pipeline figured out.
How do I get customers? They have a full time sales team, not someone who makes cold calls during the quite part of the run time.
What he said.

Just curious,
When I originally started using this site a year a go or so, I thought 'shop owner and management' cool.
that definition can differ, now a year in seems most are just lone rangers, a guy out in a shed on some land with a couple machines.

I know large ones like Orange Vise, and Maritool are on here, and Dennis/dstryr, but I wanted to see how many daily drivers on here actually own a large shop.

Now I don't mean you have 20 manual machines that all together cost less than an auto saw. I mean you have over a million$ in CNC machines and around a dozen employees or more,
you get the drift.

I would think if you had a business that large your not on here trading blows with us sheep, but thought I'd ask, genuinely curious. :cheers:

30 CNC machines, 13 employees, 3 locations, 50th year in business, IMTS every time since 1984. I hope to listen and learn from everyone.

Congrats on 50 years! How difficult is it managing the 3 separate locations?
Thanks! Having three locations can be a challenge; however, after 18 years, trusting in others makes it possible. Also, without smart phones, it would not be possible. You know, that communications thing…😀

Why 3 locations? 50 years is Awesome!
The reason why is because of our remote-ish location. The original plant was outgrown after 20 years, but no room to grow significantly, so after 30 years we looked around for another place close by. The place is all chopped up (multiple spaces), but we make it work.
If we were in a more populated area, we would have moved into one of those 30-45,000 foot spaces and called it good. Funny, people get jealous/envious of houses, cars, careers, etc. I drool over industrial space.

The reason why is because of our remote-ish location. The original plant was outgrown after 20 years, but no room to grow significantly, so after 30 years we looked around for another place close by. The place is all chopped up (multiple spaces), but we make it work.
If we were in a more populated area, we would have moved into one of those 30-45,000 foot spaces and called it good. Funny, people get jealous/envious of houses, cars, careers, etc. I drool over industrial space.
Do you run a machine shop or a manufacturing facility, IE Do you machine parts for customers or do you make your own products?

I have a couple friends that each did the grow and build, kept buying the shop next door, they each own an entire strip now, it is fairly goofy inside having like 5-6 shops in a row with all these secret passages into the next building it seems, get lost easy! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I'm not an owner but we are a shop of around 50 people including the office staff (engineers, accountants etc.) Half of the actual shop is an industrial fabrication shop. The most expensive machine came in around $1.5 million Can. including the foundation and tooling.

We don't have a single owner but and ownership group made up of 4 people. Used to be 5 but he sold his stake to another owner.

I'm not an owner but we are a shop of around 50 people including the office staff (engineers, accountants etc.) Half of the actual shop is an industrial fabrication shop. The most expensive machine came in around $1.5 million Can. including the foundation and tooling.

We don't have a single owner but and ownership group made up of 4 people. Used to be 5 but he sold his stake to another owner.
Can I be guy 5 :D

At the age of 50 I am leery to continue to grow this thing, but my son is only 22 and can take it over (be guy # 2)
But he is still young and doesn't know if he wants it larger or smaller yet, still young.

We at the least agree machines replaced with 5 axis automation and horizontals with automation, but size? dunno yet.

Last edited:
20+ employees, although we dont manufacture too much we still have lots of $$ machines for refurbishing worn parts-primarily precision grinding. 45 years, at one time 3 locations but reeled that in quick, if you dont have someone on site that you trust with your life, you will get taken..

My friend works at Boeing they are replacing 5 VMC's with 2 Makino horizontal 5 axis machines :drool5:

20+ employees, although we dont manufacture too much we still have lots of $$ machines for refurbishing worn parts-primarily precision grinding. 45 years, at one time 3 locations but reeled that in quick, if you dont have someone on site that you trust with your life, you will get taken..
Nice!, yeah the perks of being the guy they trust with their lives can be a sweet position to be in,
had owner say 'I think you care more than I do' :ROFLMAO:
I received free guns, a new car, my first brand new machine,$500 mo profit sharing.....win win for everyone! :D

Last edited:
Agreed, im trying to set my management team up for life. As long as they do their thing well, they will have nothing to worry about.
Yep, there aren't a lot of people to trust with a lot.
The owner said on initial interview, you have a shit load of technical skills, I will pay you what your worth, and I mean it!
dude wasn't joking!

Even after the fire, and when I went out on my own, he still came by the shop every couple months to see if I needed anything to make sure I succeeded as he did.
dude was legit!

Yep, there aren't a lot of people to trust with a lot.
The owner said on initial interview, you have a shit load of technical skills, I will pay you what your worth, and I mean it!
dude wasn't joking!

Even after the fire, and when I went out on my own, he still came by the shop every couple months to see if I needed anything to make sure I succeeded as he did.
dude was legit!
That is rare to find when there are so many bullshitters in the world.

Do you run a machine shop or a manufacturing facility, IE Do you machine parts for customers or do you make your own products?

I have a couple friends that each did the grow and build, kept buying the shop next door, they each own an entire strip now, it is fairly goofy inside having like 5-6 shops in a row with all these secret passages into the next building it seems, get lost easy! :ROFLMAO:
We do not have our own product, but instead make parts for others on a repeating basis.

Back