What's new
What's new

Who writes the website articles? Are they accurate?

awander

Stainless
I just read thru the "Radius Gages" article, and I found out that:

"The most common use for a radius gage set in machining is for checking imperfections like bumpy surfaces or offcuts of metal debris. "​

Either I'm on drugs, or that makes no sense at all.

M.B. Naegle

Titanium
I suppose that's one use of them. In other words, checking a radius you cut if it's the actual radius you want. Using it to check for a bumpy surface doesn't make sense to me either.

I tend to use them the most in copying or reverse-engineering parts to see what nominal radius most closely matches an existing one.

DDoug

Diamond
Probably farmed out to the spambots.....
This just in:

Conrad Hoffman

Titanium
Not sure they're used much at all anymore. I've got a couple different sets and can't remember ever using them. More like a security blanket- they're in the tool box if I ever need 'em. Or, if I'm ever teaching anybody, I can pull them out and say, "look, these are internal and external radius gauges."

Winterfalke

Stainless
The only time I can remember using a radius gauge was hand grinding some lathe tools for turning plastic, inspection was always done on either the shadowgraph, the CMM, or using gauge pins.

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
I only use mine for checking parts that come in with no print also. No need for going to the trouble of taking the time using a comparator for most work, and a radius gage is quick and easy.

Thunderjet

Hot Rolled
I only use mine for checking parts that come in with no print also. No need for going to the trouble of taking the time using a comparator for most work, and a radius gage is quick and easy.
I have three sets, I and the Q.C. dept. use them daily.

They use them for comparing either with the comparator or the vision system to send pics to a customer.

I use them when dressing grinding wheels to a specific corner radius. (doing the old tongue depressor trick.)

I couldn't get thru a day without them.

RC Mech

Stainless
We use them in checking mold or die surfaces when it’s expected the intended rad wasn’t an oddball. Secondary to having a print available obviously.