What's new
What's new

Why all the animosity towards Titan and others like him?

mbraddock

Hot Rolled
I saw the post this morning asking if anyone was going to Titan's CNC open house, and as I read it, it quickly devolved into the typical threads that mention him on this forum: a series of disparaging remarks or emoticons.

I don't get it. You guys rag on him and others like him all the time, who are doing more than 99.5% of us to get today's youth interested in manufacturing. Yet next week, we'll see three posts on how hard it's become to find anyone worth interviewing or anyone who wants to pursue this career path. And next month someone will post a link to a company that has decided to outsource work to another country because they deemed it too difficult to find talented hires who are sincerely interested in this trade.

Do you really harbor that much dislike for someone just because he's got a very different (over-the-top?) attitude compared to most?

Do you not like him because his path to being involved in our industry is different than most?

Do you not like him because your bitter or jealous that he's made (and lost) more money in this industry than most of us?

Do you not like him because he's built a very successful online (and apparently in-person, lol) presence and you haven't?

Do you not like him because he's helping market Syil (spelling?) brand CNCs? If they are equivalent to Haas' entry level machines, what's the issue? There are a whole lotta shops that probably wouldn't be around if not for being able to buy basic, affordable machines back when Haas was a demonstrably better value than anything else in its price range.

Why are you so quick to judge someone that is trying to support our industry by showcasing current technology while trying to make a living to feed his family. Do you realize how much effort goes into their videos or putting together an online curriculum for those interested in getting involved in our field? Having spent 17 years building one of the premier collegiate design and manufacturing courses in our country, I have a pretty good idea.

I really don't get it. You seem to have the same problem with people like John Grimsmo or John Saunders who have documented their journey since their first time running a stepper-motored desktop mill, all the way to being able to buy some of the most technologically advanced machines around. But somehow in your minds they are just imposter or poser (lol) machinists.

I don't understand why we sh** on other people's success when it only helps our industry, so please help me understand (sincerely).

Thanks.

Hi mbraddock:
I'll take a stab at this one at the risk of alienating some of my buddies on here with an opinion that's both curmudgeonly and not metalworking related.

I detest what passes for self promotion these days...I find it overbearing, theatrical and offensive but it seems to be the growing trend.
Immature, Jerk Off "Influencers" are the bane of modern life and are are everywhere, jockying madly for influence and clicks, and willing to obnoxiously intrude into everything, often without regard for who they inconvenience or even put at risk.
We all know by now, the stories of some of these assholes...at least one of whom was mistakenly shot in self defence after pulling some shitty little prank in a mall so his fuck buddies could film it and post it on YouBoob.

Another dumbass famously had his girlfriend shoot him with only a telephone book for a shield...He died... I didn't mourn him at all (dumb fuck) but his girlfriend is now emotionally scarred forever and was charged with murder on top of it.
Her life is fucked, and it's his fault for pressuring her until she caved.

Having said that, I do respect Titan Gilroy for having taken the risk, pushed the envelope and made something of himself that I was and remain unwilling to do.
He endures the slings and arrows, so he is entitled to the notoriety and the reward this perverse society gives that behaviour.

The very few interviews I've seen in which he participated as a normal human being rather than an over the top huckster, made me think...I could have a beer with that guy and enjoy the conversation.
But every time he says "BOOM" i could hit him...did I say I detest that over the top self promotion?

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
Maybe he has changed, but when his first videos came out, you were the piece of shit. You're programs suck. You aren't pushing your machine to its LIMITS. HAASPOWER baby. BOOM. BE BETTER.

I watched maybe one or two of his first videos and the jabroni aspect paired with the constant back handed comments of being inferior drove a lot of the experienced guys away from his content. It's probably pretty popular with the little shits coming out of high school and tech school who think they know everything, but insulting 90% of your target audience out of the gate is a bold strategy.

Jayzus OP. Talk about overanalysis. None of those things you're bringing up have anything to do with it. The reason many experienced guys don't like him is this: And let me put this as plainly as possible, as I'm a straight shooter. He's a dude that, if he came into the room I was in and started talking the way he does on these videos, I would leave said room immediately to prevent myself from telling him to STFU. Listening to that guy is like the proverbial nails on a chalkboard to me. Mm'kay? Thanks. I am pretty sure that this is the same way that most here that don't approve, feel about him.

If the young guys like him and he's helping them, more power to both of them. Just don't make me listen to it.

Not a fan of Saunders presentation style, respect him a lot more. Learn from his stuff. Nothing bad-mostly good about him.
He has done more to bring people in than titan.
Titan has brought no one in- he fleeces those he does. He is a jailhouse scammer. He couldn’t get it with preaching so he went with machining. Titan turns people away from industry.

Haven't watched Titan's videos and don't plan to. I'm not a fan of professionals who turn to pedaling their profession more than actually DOING their profession. That may or may not be the case with Titan, but appearances and all. It's great to teach, but I don't see the YouTube formula of pushing for more clicks and likes and subscriptions as a way to better a crowd. It's like saying more people watch Ice Road Truckers is going to make better truck drivers on the roads. It's entertaining if you're into the guys way of doing things, but I personally am not into Titan and it sounds like a lot of PM isn't either.

I saw the post this morning asking if anyone was going to Titan's CNC open house, and as I read it, it quickly devolved into the typical threads that mention him on this forum: a series of disparaging remarks or emoticons.

I don't get it. You guys rag on him and others like him all the time, who are doing more than 99.5% of us to get today's youth interested in manufacturing. Yet next week, we'll see three posts on how hard it's become to find anyone worth interviewing or anyone who wants to pursue this career path. And next month someone will post a link to a company that has decided to outsource work to another country because they deemed it too difficult to find talented hires who are sincerely interested in this trade.

Do you really harbor that much dislike for someone just because he's got a very different (over-the-top?) attitude compared to most?

Do you not like him because his path to being involved in our industry is different than most?

Do you not like him because your bitter or jealous that he's made (and lost) more money in this industry than most of us?

Do you not like him because he's built a very successful online (and apparently in-person, lol) presence and you haven't?

Do you not like him because he's helping market Syil (spelling?) brand CNCs? If they are equivalent to Haas' entry level machines, what's the issue? There are a whole lotta shops that probably wouldn't be around if not for being able to buy basic, affordable machines back when Haas was a demonstrably better value than anything else in its price range.

Why are you so quick to judge someone that is trying to support our industry by showcasing current technology while trying to make a living to feed his family. Do you realize how much effort goes into their videos or putting together an online curriculum for those interested in getting involved in our field? Having spent 17 years building one of the premier collegiate design and manufacturing courses in our country, I have a pretty good idea.

I really don't get it. You seem to have the same problem with people like John Grimsmo or John Saunders who have documented their journey since their first time running a stepper-motored desktop mill, all the way to being able to buy some of the most technologically advanced machines around. But somehow in your minds they are just imposter or poser (lol) machinists.

I don't understand why we sh** on other people's success when it only helps our industry, so please help me understand (sincerely).

Thanks.
as one of the people that you're posting about, i have the utmost respect for what him and his team are doing to bring awareness to the industry.
that said, i cant fucking stand his personality period. those 2 facts CAN peacefully coexist within a person.

edit: i love grimsmo and saunders and respect the shit out of them. you will not see me hate on them ever. my only issue is with titan's online persona.

Hi mbraddock:
I'll take a stab at this one at the risk of alienating some of my buddies on here with an opinion that's both curmudgeonly and not metalworking related.

I detest what passes for self promotion these days...I find it overbearing, theatrical and offensive but it seems to be the growing trend.
Immature, Jerk Off "Influencers" are the bane of modern life and are are everywhere, jockying madly for influence and clicks, and willing to obnoxiously intrude into everything, often without regard for who they inconvenience or even put at risk.
We all know by now, the stories of some of these assholes...at least one of whom was mistakenly shot in self defence after pulling some shitty little prank in a mall so his fuck buddies could film it and post it on YouBoob.

Another dumbass famously had his girlfriend shoot him with only a telephone book for a shield...He died... I didn't mourn him at all (dumb fuck) but his girlfriend is now emotionally scarred forever and was charged with murder on top of it.
Her life is fucked, and it's his fault for pressuring her until she caved.

Having said that, I do respect Titan Gilroy for having taken the risk, pushed the envelope and made something of himself that I was and remain unwilling to do.
He endures the slings and arrows, so he is entitled to the notoriety and the reward this perverse society gives that behaviour too.

The very few interviews I've seen in which he participated as a normal human being rather than an over the top huckster, made me think...I could have a beer with that guy and enjoy the conversation.
But every time he says "BOOM" i could hit him...did I say I detest that over the top self promotion?

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
nail on the fucking head!
especially the asinine clickbait video topics what most times have ZERO to do with the content of the video, and only exist to grab your attention. makes my fucking blood boil.

One thing I have noticed is as soon as people put their business online for the world to see a target is instantly pointed at their back.

I used to regularly watch a great channel of a guy who had a transmission rebuild shop. Other companies would attempt to publicly discredit his work saying that the guy doesn’t build anything and it’s all done by someone else. It was cutthroat nasty. Someone just trying to earn a living and others going out of their way to genuinely damage and destroy their business and reputation.

I haven't watched enough to form an opinion.

I hope he demonstrates best practices and not only the destruction testing I have seen him do.

I have two guys working here who didn't know this industry existed prior to them coming in on tours. Any awareness to the industry is good IMO.

Back