What's new
What's new

Wichita Series 61 16x30 sold tuesday?

Glug

Hot Rolled
Did anyone see how much that Series 61 16x30 sold for at auction on tuesday (1/24/23) or inspect it? It looked very clean. There were 50+ watchers, which is rare for a non-10ee. Just curious.

I chatted a few days ago with another member who was looking at this. Of particular note, he told me it had a two speed motor. This was a surprise to me. I had asked about the speed chart, and he said it was labeled. Sure enough high and low speeds:

258.JPG

He told me he got to run it under power, and seemed like a pretty nice machine. A toolroom lathe. Here's some other pics:

261.JPG 259.JPG

260.JPG

Last edited:
I had a look at it and was able to run it. The ways were in good shape. The headstock was quiet at least in the few gears I ran. It was in nice overall condition for its age. It had a couple of small issues but nothing too serious I don’t think. One was a rhythmic rattle down by the motor. It also seemed to have quite a bit of play from the dog clutches in the feedbox especially from start to stop. Having never run one of these before I wasn’t sure what was to be expected. It just seemed a little clunky.

I called Monarch and learned that it originally had a steady rest which I believe I found being sold in a separate lot as an unidentified make of steady rest.

I did bid on it but was outbid in the end. At its final price, all in would have been close to $10,000 by the time it was on the trailer. It was a good machine, but more than it was worth to me.

Last edited:

Back