What's new
What's new

Will 5 dollar diesel fuel distroy the used machinery market?

When guys go on about the price of fuel...I say ...push my pickup to the top of that hill......a spoon full of diesel will do it!...is fuel expensive ...no!.........What is expensive is cruising round for no reason,and driving big trucks empty back from a delivery.

When guys go on about the price of fuel...I say ...push my pickup to the top of that hill......a spoon full of diesel will do it!...is fuel expensive ...no!.........What is expensive is cruising round for no reason,and driving big trucks empty back from a delivery.

I keep running about in my sailboat, no fuel burn more than half the time, 2 litres/hour the rest of the time.

The big power boats with their twin engines go by burning 10X the fuel.

I'm in no hurry.

PDW

I've crossed the US by bicycle twice with several other long bicycle trips. Being self propelled gives one a bit of an insight on what one can do with a gallon of fuel - the **energy/power** in a gallon of fuel. Personally I would be hard pressed to change much of my driving habits/patterns until fuel went beyond $10/gallon (other than bitching and moaning). For using a chainsaw, gas would have to be above $20/gallon before I would change or cut back my use. I once tried to use a manual reel mower just for fun to see how it worked - I'll keep using my riding mower - though I might let the grass grow a bit longer between mowings if fuel costs were sky high.

I got my learner's permit in '74 so I missed the first gas crisis. Still kind of remember the 2nd one and have always considered fuel to be a commodity. Sucks to be those who buy a vehicle based on what they can afford at the moment without considering that fuel prices can change.

Back