What's new
What's new

Will steel DOM fit over shafting?

GregSY

Diamond
It will fit over 1-3/8" shafting. Make sure you buy 1-3/8" shafting that is on the low side of the tolerance and DOM that is on the high side.

Or...put the DOM in a lathe and run a reamer down the center to clean it up to spec.

LKeithR

Stainless
I've used quite a bit of DOM over the years and I'd have to say that when you're talking size for size it's
not going to fit, at least not consistently. For a one off project you can measure your material and find
parts that will fit together but if you're talking a production situation I wouldn't count on always being
able to find tubing and shafting that fit together, at least not if you're looking for a sliding fit...

L Vanice

Diamond
Customer has the shaft, no way to measure it

"No way" is not going to solve your issue. The customer can figure out how to get the shaft measured or you can tell him to find a new chump. You can't accurately bid a job without key information unless you assume everything will go wrong and hope for the best to make a little money.

Larry

GregSY

Diamond
"No way" is not going to solve your issue. "

That's why I said it would work. With no specs, no tolerances and definition of 'fit'...it WILL fit. It might be as sloppy as well, you know...or it might take a 200 ton press - but it will fit. It has to.

MaxPrairie

Hot Rolled
Do you know what the shaft is or is the customer keeping that secret also?

Reminds me of the farmer who brought in a shaft and said he had a hell of a time getting it in the bearings. I said yeah, that’s hot rolled.

mark costello

Stainless
No idea what the shaft is, all I know is paper rolls across it on rubber coated rollers. These are the rollers I am making. Don't know if this is a new machine or an adaption to an old machine. Been making parts with Them for 20 years, never made these. usually get a sample or better dimensions, but since the virus, He does not seem to want anyone there.

atomarc

Diamond
Interesting..why in the name of God would someone want to slip DOM over a piece of shafting? I'd love to know the real deal on this.

Stuart

EPAIII

Diamond
That is absurd! And stupid.

I would tell him that I will make the part(s) but without access to the shaft which it fits on, he pays for your time and materials weather it fits or NOT. He has made the situation impossible and he should take the responsibility for the consequences.

Customer has the shaft, no way to measure it

52 Ford

Stainless
They CAN measure the OD of a shaft. If they can't they're either lazy or stupid. If they were stupid, they wouldn't still be in business.

Edit: Lazy, stupid, incompetent, OR ignorant.

I guess they're ignorant. If they want a sleeve for a shaft, they need to provide the measurement to the thou or better. Preferably to the ten thousandth or better.

Mtndew

Diamond
They CAN measure the OD of a shaft. If they can't they're either lazy or stupid.

I dunno, I'd give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the shaft is in the field and the machine can't be shut down to measure?
That's about the only reason for not being able to get a size. Unless the od is so scarred and boogered up that there isn't a good spot to take a reading and the tubing is to be welded on it and re-turned?

4GSR

Diamond
They can at least take some pictures and send. At least that will give you a better guess to what they need. Still need real measurements or like Greg said a 200 Ton press to install. I guess a welder and cutting torch waits in the background....:eek:

mark costello

Stainless
The chart supplied by Dian says the ID spec is .007 small. Looks like a reamer price and labor will be built into the cost. What would happen if there are 20 machines after all there are 20 pieces? The rubber will be ground after vulcanizing.

Overland

Hot Rolled
I learned a long time ago that the customer has to tell me what he wants in a way that I can be sure, and that there is no argument afterwards.
Drawings are the best definition, with dimensions and tolerances.
Before now I've spent almost as much time getting the drawing to the point where we both agree on what is required, than actually doing the job.
Time well spent !
If not, the customer has the responsibility to accept, and pay for, whatever he gets.
Bob

henrya

Titanium
Your customer may be going at this from the wrong end. I think you want to start at the finished diameter of the rubber roller and work back from there. If the imagined part is moving at any significant speed building a lop sided roller and then grinding the rubber, you’ll have a lop sided rubber coated roller that won’t be in balance. Spin it fast and it’ll bump and bounce.

It might make the most sense to make the part from a solid piece and ditch the tubing. 1 3/8” ground rod is not that expensive.