What's new
What's new

Wiring a DT1 in Germany

owenhooker

Plastic
I am going to be receiveing a new Haas DT1 in a couple of weeks and I'm working on the power run for it now. Since I'm now In Germany the machine will have the high voltage transformer built into it. Looking at the pre installation guide from Haas They say the full load amps is 13. Would it be acceptical if I had a 400v 3p 16amp connector wired to the machine instead of hardwireing it in? I have numerouse 16amp 3p outlets all over the shop including one right behind the machine. I know this is how they wire machines at trade shows and show room floors but I wanted to check and see if there is really any issue with doing this in a shop. Also I'm new to Germany and I know there are many more rules about what you can and cant do with out hiring an electrician. Does anyone know if I would be allowed to wire a cable into the machine myself? I do have experience with high voltage/amperage wireing from a previouse career in the US.

I know these are questions I could normally ask my Haas salesman but he doesnt know english and my German is not good enough with technical terms yet so I usually need My wife to translate for me. Thanks for any help!

Owen

Simple terms with data given it should work fine but your concern about code is spot on.

Take wife to local code enforcement or building inspector type place and take machine data and photo of your connector and breaker that supplies it.

Ask them if allowed or what actions to take.

They likely will have someone to translate if wife cannot.

If allowed then have them print out something and hand you a business card to attach to it.

If at some point down the road there is a problem then that document is your protection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If they are wired to slow or c breakers (think it’s c or d, can’t remember) the 16 will probably be exceeded starting up and so on, may keep tripping
Mark

^ Start up of spindle won't be the issue, the high voltage transformer magnetisation at switch on dictates a D grade MCB. Changes to the fuse board - install the wall socket is a sparky territory to be compliant. The machines lead is very much more open to DIY but under basic health and safety still needs to be done by a competent person.

Here in the Uk you very much can run machinery on plugs and in some ways its very much preferred as it enables easy clearly checkable isolation for maintenance and makes future machine shuffling a breeze. Not sure on the German regs but would be fair to assume there similar.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will need to call Haas and confirm their current rating at 13amps and ask if that would include the 300PSI TSC option aswell.

Back