What's new
What's new

WIRING FOR SB 16/24 3 PHASE LATHE

BILLSANDERS

Plastic
RESTORING A 16/24 SOUTH BEND, AND WRITING FADED ON MY LABELS WHEN I TOOK THE MOTOR OUT TO CLEAN.
THE LATHE HAS FRONT START/STOP AND LOW/HIGH SPEED SWITCHES. NEED TO KNOW HOW TO HOOKUP THE 6 LEADS TO THE MOTOR. I CAN READ DIAGRAMS . . .
HAS 3 HP 3 PHASE MOTOR

BILL

I am installing the same lathe. I also have pulled the wiring and confused as to why it has 6 wires.
Did you get it wired up?

THE LATHE HAS FRONT START/STOP AND LOW/HIGH SPEED SWITCHES. NEED TO KNOW HOW TO HOOKUP THE 6 LEADS TO THE MOTOR. I CAN READ DIAGRAMS . . .
HAS 3 HP 3 PHASE MOTOR

It should be a 3 phase 2 speed motor, and with 6 leads i would think so. Most 3 phase motors are not 2 speed.

Basically 3 of the motor wires operate the high/full speed. And the the other 3 wires low speed.

ONLY power one side or the other, never both at the same time. So either high leads are hot OR low speed leads are hot. I'd double check incoming wires to motor, and all 3 positions of low, high, and rev to ensure only 3 wires of high OR 3 wires for low are hot at any given position.

Reverse comes from swapping two legs within the high side, or swapping two in the low side. And with the South Bend setup you want to make a choice, because you only have one reverse option in the lever control. So choose whether you want high speed reverse, or low speed reverse, and wire accordingly. I like low speed reverse.

Most 3 phase motors use a single drum swith for fwd-stop-rev. But because its a 2 speed motor, they use 2 drum swithes with linkages to switch both while using a single lever top side.

If you only removed motor, and are handy enough to not get shocked or make sparks, lol, you could seperate the wires leading to motor. Put power to it with motor disconnected. Use multimeter to determine which wires are hot at high, low , and rev postions. If you do this way, you are most likely stuck with rev being whatever the last guy choose, be it high or low. Might need rewire drum switches if you wanted the opposite for high or low for rev.

Last edited:

Back