What's new
What's new

Workshop "Life Hacks"

52 Ford

Stainless
I'm not sure if any of y'all have seen those "life hack" videos on YouTube before, but they're pretty funny. I was just watching one. REALLY useful info like how to repair a crack in a 5 gallon bucket with gasoline and styrofoam or how to charge your phone with a 9 volt battery charger, a phone charger, and a nail. Another one was to use zip ties as weedwacker cord... 'cause it's "quicker". :D

Anyway - I want to hear about some LEGITIMATE "life hacks" for the workshop. Being PM, I expect most of them to be specific to machining, but I just mean the shop in general.

What are some tips and tricks that you have that save you time and./or hassle in the shop?

I'll add some when I have a little bit more time to think :) Trying to think of stuff that I do that's worth sharing.

Not my brightest idea, but saved us space, money and time nonetheless. Bought a lot of cheap plastic gutters (you know, the ones that are along your house roof for rain) and installed them closely vertically above each other on a wall. That's a perfect way to store long stock of small (<2") ODs.

Seen other solutions, but ours allows you to lift it out, rather than pulling it out which is a PITA.

Found one today, use a weller instant heat gun soldering iron to stick plastic staples in, works like a dream!
Mark

Not my brightest idea, but saved us space, money and time nonetheless. Bought a lot of cheap plastic gutters (you know, the ones that are along your house roof for rain) and installed them closely vertically above each other on a wall. That's a perfect way to store long stock of small (<2") ODs.

Seen other solutions, but ours allows you to lift it out, rather than pulling it out which is a PITA.

On a similar note, I’m using 4” square fence post and fence post covers to do the same thing. They can be stacked, and nicely store rounds, square and others on shelving. Nice for shorter sections.

I use old offcuts of 4” sewer pipe, it’s surprising how many you end up with, grey, brown white and black
Mark

I sprinkle lime - about 1 cup per lb of body weight - on top of a corpse when I'm burying it. It greatly reduces odors and all but eliminates chances of a dog digging it up.

Use the right tools and do the job right first time. If you can't, then pay someone else to do the job. This life hack will save the most time and money

For Valentines Day I gave my wife a necklace made from small diameter and short coated carbide endmills, well used so not to cut her. Worked like a charm as she left me that night. Stay in the shop all I want now.

JK

I sprinkle lime - about 1 cup per lb of body weight - on top of a corpse when I'm burying it. It greatly reduces odors and all but eliminates chances of a dog digging it up.
Apparently 12 pigs will shift a body in a day, that was in a trial over here resulting in either the last or on of the last prison bungee jumps without an elastic rope.
Mark

I hung a set of allen wrenches and a jar of sharpie markers and pens on the side of the stand that holds my granite surface plate. Saves me a minute going to grab them nearly every time I’m there, and I don’t have to go digging through the bins under the table for them.
In short, have tools where you use them.

In short, have tools where you use them.

Something I myself have been working on improving. If a particular machine has a specific set of tools you always use, just buy duplicates. Saves a whole lot of wasted time wandering around looking. The “master” toolbox should have everything in it, and if you are grabbing something out to bring it to a machine daily just buy another, so as to never find the primary box missing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back