What's new
What's new

Workshop "Life Hacks"

Have an old newspaper and a roll of masking tape to quick wrap end mills saved for sharpening.

Set the Tc grinder up for inserts that with a little grind can be used a second time, keep in sets of the same size.

I made a quick and dirty fixture to grind the inserts for one of our shell mills...it takes 4 inserts and they are flat faced. I can take about 10 or 15 thou off them before I need to change them out.

Get the large sharpie magnum. Works well as a substitute for dykem and the really large tip covers a lot of ground.

Take a small sharpie, put the tip over what you want colored, then hit it quick with an air gun...makes a nice splatter.

5S your work areas, a place for everything and everything in its place. You don't have to go nuts but it helps.

I'll think of more.
I do the same thing. Try Markal 25 markers. Like a magnum Sharpie, but better.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

I keep the scraps of the big copper wire from hooking up machines, endless twist ties
I keep a few different spools of galvanized electric fence wire hanging above the bench. SUPER convenient. Great for tying stuff off, using it for fishing wires and cables, etc. Also works well in place of cotter keys (split pin). Especially for temporary assembly. I was working on a shaft today and had to assemble and disassemble it about a dozen times as I made parts for the assembly it goes it. I just used a piece of 16 gauge wire in place of the split pin and left it long enough I could grab it by hand and pull it out, even under spring tension.

Along with that, we put the commonly used tools in foam mounted at 45 degrees. It keeps you from putting other things on there, and an empty spot is annoying and almost forces you to put things back.
I'm going to do that.

Back