What's new
What's new

Would lengthy blackouts create new manufacturing opportunities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freedommachine

Stainless
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1528636408113397761

According to Bloomberg,

There won’t be enough energy supplies to go around as sweltering heat boosts power demand in the months ahead, putting lives at risk.

Deadly blackouts due to climate change, pandemic and war?

Or deadly blackouts due to the response of fake climate change, over dramatized pandemic and war?

Whichever side one might choose to take, the result will likely be the same. This may give merit to what @dcsipo was talking about in terms of small remote manufacturing replacing the traditional large shop.

The need for manufacturing will likely decline as whole industries disintegrate under the weight of social engineering and the war against "the climate emergency".

It is a crazy time to be alive!

Last edited:
"..blackouts due to the response of fake climate change..."

Explain how high temperatures in texas are fake, please. Is Obama re-calibrating all the texas thermometers, or maybe biden is using up all the texas power grid to steal their guns. New manufacturing idea: make a muzzle to stop push-posts like yours here.

We're supposed to celebrate and embrace such things. Let's dig coal for China and ignore the oil under our feet. We need more Chinese lithium ion batteries.

Taken from the NY Post. Can't link due to phone not jiving with new forum software.

"President Biden celebrated record-high gas prices Monday, gushing that the pump pain was part of "an incredible transition" of the US economy away from fossil fuels.

When] it comes to the gas prices, we're going through an incredible transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it's over, we'll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels when this is over," Biden said during a press conference in Japan following his meeting with Prime Minister Fumio Kishida.

Explain how high temperatures in texas are fake, please. Is Obama re-calibrating all the texas thermometers, or maybe biden is using up all the texas power grid to steal their guns. New manufacturing idea: make a muzzle to stop push-posts like yours here.

Ok, ok, fine... Blackouts, crushing inflation, food shortages and the highest fuel prices on record due to global policies that are intended to centralize power and create poverty... Being sold to the people as solutions for dramatized "real" climate change. Is that better?

C'mon Jimmy, can't you just be nice for once? I don't like the things you say, but I am not going to come in and :poop: all over your thread with silly condescending exaggeration and 2 party political talk - that would be rather rude.

We get it Jim... your world view is right and the rest of us are knuckle dragging idiots 🥱. Time to move on.

Maybe you could say something about the blackouts expected this summer and how it may affect the ability for manufacturing facilities to maintain production?

@Gewehr 98 I saw a video clip of that from the speech. Funny how we went from trying to lower gas prices to "God willing, we will come out the other side."

Reality is like a film; "based on a true story".

I have lived in places where frequent power outages are common. People adapt. Yup, if you have big machines that require electricity, you invest in Generators. I have lived part of the year in Argentina for 15 years now. Many many businesses, ranging down to 500sq ft shoe stores, have generators, and use em if needed. I have known people in rural areas of the US, where wind or snow or ice storms knocks down utility lines all the time, who also have - you guessed it- generators. I know shops which have big diesel miller welders, that will put out 3 phase, in sheds beside the shop. For short term use, they are fine.
Meanwhile, utilities keep investing in more infrastructure, and raising the prices to pay for it- which happens everywhere, all the time, and has, for my entire 60 odd years.

Back in 2008,yankee Dana Corp closed the 800 year old Kirkstall Forge and transferred the truck axle manufacture to India in a new built factory......quite quickly they discovered the local power utility had grossly oversold available electricity and the new factory had to endure six week shutdowns when power was supplied to another user who had better political connections.

I have lived in places where frequent power outages are common. People adapt. Yup, if you have big machines that require electricity, you invest in Generators. I have lived part of the year in Argentina for 15 years now. Many many businesses, ranging down to 500sq ft shoe stores, have generators, and use em if needed. I have known people in rural areas of the US, where wind or snow or ice storms knocks down utility lines all the time, who also have - you guessed it- generators. I know shops which have big diesel miller welders, that will put out 3 phase, in sheds beside the shop. For short term use, they are fine.
Meanwhile, utilities keep investing in more infrastructure, and raising the prices to pay for it- which happens everywhere, all the time, and has, for my entire 60 odd years.

In places where it is common, they are used to it though right? Like Florida with hurricanes, or Ohio with snow - the people have resiliency built into their lives.

In Ohio, our cities, townships and hwy dept have skilled plow drivers, plenty of trucks, contracts for salt and standard procedures for dealing with snow. Private citizens have plow trucks, snow blowers and the like as well. This keeps us in a functional position but it is all still dependant upon a reliable and consistent supply of fuel and salt.
Without salt, things become near impossible. Without fuel, a substantial number of people would die.

We are being forced away from fossil fuels (prematurely and with direct intent) and onto a power grid that cannot sustain the demand.

There are quite a few shops and even large production facilities around the country that were running in the red even before covid. What happens if a place like that is forced to 50% capacity for 4-5 months in order to ensure the nursing home down the street can sustain the demand they need?

Or a utilities commissioner forces facilities to cancel 2nd shift in order to meet demand - does that sound too far fetched these days?

These are the sort of things that few individuals and no corporations are prepared to face.

Have you ever witnessed such global instability in your 60 odd years?

Jim I like the new avatar. You have a gun! No way you moved to Texas though. :) Freedom is just offering a balanced introduction to this thread. I think you should start one yourself. I do hope not to roast in high humidity and temperature this summer nor to freeze with high humidity during winter either. I think I will be ok in winter at least. Summer does offer rain showers to cool things off also.

I doubt that lack of energy would cause a lot of smaller shops. There are places which have low hydro energy which might seem to benefit larger manufacturing if energy gets to be such a important issue it being higher.
The way things seem to be going energy in all its various forms will be a very significant factor due to the strain of the changes taking place now in any part of that industry. We will see much higher electricity costs and the needed infrastructure to facilitate it in my opinion.

Last edited:
To run machines on a diesel generator,you would need to have a considerable profit margin.....like the guys mining Klondike gold on genset lekky.......and recovering several ounces per hour.

"Lengthy Blackout" = No manufacturing. Diesel generators, yeah sure...if you can get fuel much less afford it. Workers?---Good luck. No electricity and a heat wave means nothing works well including humans. Most likely blackouts will present opportunity but not in a good way.

Apparently you've never been in an Amish shop....
Actually I have been. But then again the use of "Amish" as applied to business is often used to for marketing reasons. But, of course, you know that.

Upside is "The Amish" are unlikely to be located in certain areas of Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, or New York where a heat wave without electricity will prove fatal for many.

Unless everyone else (your competition) has to endure those cost's as well....

Actually I have been. But then again the use of "Amish" as applied to business is often used to for marketing reasons. But, of course, you know that.

Upside is "The Amish" are unlikely to be located in certain areas of Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, or New York where a heat wave without electricity will prove fatal for many.

Yup, and it really is an "upside".... those that are useless grifters, will get what they deserve.

Electrical power and steel/aluminum production. Remelt(?) Steel /Aluminum from scrap dominates and must require reliable electric power supplies. No doubt some systems like electronics and minimum lighting has generator backup but how do they deal with blackouts or other disruptions in power supply--or is the only option to shut down operations which no doubt has a cascade effect on other manufacturing.

In an old Si Fi Tv show the aliens just turned off the lights and then people went nuts and started killing each other.
One handy trick some Amish use is to work all day and then go to bed when it is getting too dark and get up with the birds being their alarm clock.
likely if everybody had a job there would be fewer problems in the USA.
Agree a power outage would cause most jobs/work to cease. people would get mad and burn down the cities. Politicians would go to their sanctuaries.

People would go to the market and buy or rob way too much stuff and so much of it would just rot.
I could live in/off the bush but my camp is almost 300 miles away and there would be no Gas to get there. About10 days by horse, but I don't have a horse. Janie would refuse to eat rabbits so we would have a constant argument and life would be miserable.

Last edited:
I'm a little disappointed in the Democrats that they haven't done anything to bring back solar tax credits.

We have the answer to much of our energy needs available right now and they are sitting on their hands. But at least they aren't killing off the remaining solar tax credits like republicans love to do.

I can't remember the last time I heard a Democrat politician talk about solar tax credits.
Democrats were chit-chatting about it 5 days ago....WAS part of Biden's signature "Build Back Better" campaign theme. For sure too little-too late regarding electrical supply with a long hot summer coming.

Do you think manufacturing will suffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back