What's new
What's new

Would like to Borrow/Rent/Buy a 3/4" square broach.

KT_NorCal

Aluminum
Recently picked up my first lathe which is a 1942 Monarch C14... and like all old lathes it has a few "challenges." One of them is a standard Monarch issue where the handles on the clutch start/stop rod have wallowed themselves out. This caused the PO to do some creative engineering which I need to fix. Anyway, I will need to make a 3/4" square hole in 3 steel bushings in order to get the thing running properly again, so if you are in the SF Bay Area and wouldn't mind lending or renting one out that would be ideal, but I'm happy to consider buying one if you live farther afield and have one gathering dust...

Thank you!

I will need to make a 3/4" square hole in 3 steel bushings in order to get the thing running properly again, so if you are in the SF Bay Area and wouldn't mind lending or renting one out that would be ideal, but I'm happy to consider buying one if you live farther afield and have one gathering dust...

Pioneer Broach, one in LA, one used to be in Atwater ? Go to the Atwater one. Not sure now but they did stuff like that much cheaper than you will be able to. 3/4" square won't be much fun to get straight and push, they are pretty nice people and not unreasonable at all. Call them up, they will tell you what size to drill the pilot and they'll pull it, not push. Better and straighter.

Just drill a 3/4" hole and file. To speed it up mill the hole close to square with a 1/8" mill then file it perfectly square.
This is plan C. May just do it, but have a bunch of other things I need to finish in the limited shop time I have, which is why I was trying to find a broach.

To clarify, most industrial supply houses sell steel sleeves with square holes already broached in them. Sturdy Broaching is a manufacturer of them.

Larry
Thank you for the link. They say they do custom small run orders which might solve the problem if they aren't too spendy. I essentially need their standard one with just a larger OD. I'm fine turning it down myself as I'm guessing the two handles have a range of fit. They are just fixed with a set screw through the joining ID/OD so really only need to be an easy press fit.

if ya give me a drawing, i can rip some out on my 5axis waterjet for ya...
Thanks for the offer, will keep it in mind if I get unduly frustrated... sounds a bit epic doing something that simple with a machine so epic. Like fly swatting with a tactical nuke... ha.

The easiest way to do it is to simply slot the round bar then weld a filler piece of sq or ret stock in the open side after you insert some sq stock in the slot to keep every thing parallel.I use a .005"shim on top of the sq insert to make sure the hole does not close up during welding.

KT, how long are the bushings that you need? I've broached key slots on bores in the B'port by grinding a low rake chisel from a hss blank (old reamer shank) and stroking with the quill, advancing the table a thou or two at a time. I've also silver brazed a piece of hss from a parting tool onto mild steel. Takes less time than you'd think. You could easily do the same in all four corners.

Being primarily a woodworker, with only basic metal machinery, I often have to improvise. I find I can get it done myself in less time than it would take me to drive to a shop that has the correct equipment and tooling.

Back