What's new
What's new

Would This be Profitable to Sell?

Those are worth maybe $30 in today's market. Heck, I could probably have Sendcutsend do one custom in stainless for about that much, and paint it myself. For $500 or not much more I can get a real motorcycle that needs work. Sure, if you look hard enough for long enough you'll find someone that'll pay it, but those people will be few and far between. My bet is you'll never earn enough to cover your time.

Sendcutsend quotes in 1/8" thick material:

Quote in mild steel:

9_5x19 quote.jpg

Quote in stainless:

9_5x19  stainless quote.jpg

Fascinating. There must be a massive quote increase for all the narrow slot width VS material thickness pierces.

I guess I know well enough NOT to design stuff like that so I forget how big of a problem it is.

You're the man!

Make some sets up and put them on the market. I think you might be surprised what you could sell them for. Although I don't think the market is large it definately exists.

Don't bother with Etsy, complete waste of time

Send a few to motorcycle websites, try and get an article however brief. Might generate some interest.

Artsy stuff like that.. It really depends on who your audience is..

One of those might go for $30 at the flea market, but go for $300 at
the wine festival that is happening at the exact same time a mile away.

And the guy who paid $30 will think he got ripped off and the wife of
a motorcycle owner will think she got the steal of the century because
she bargained you down to $275.

You're the man!

I didn't mean that as a put down at all. I can see you took it that way. I don't do artsy crap so I can design stuff without narrow slots that aren't open to a perimeter cut.

That's all I meant by that. You have fun with your cutouts and let us know when they start selling like hot cakes.

As a vintage / classic car and bike fan, may I make a couple of positive suggestions ?
It may be worth looking at classic cars rather than bikes, as the car crowd tend to have more disposable income and tend to go in for this sort of art/gift. Even doing them in maybe polished aluminium could be an option.
I know these aren't the same thing but check out robinbark-motorart.com to give you an idea of prices.
If you go for bikes, look at adding some 70's and 80's Japanese bikes as these again are being bought by older guys who are buying the stuff they missed back in the day and are prepared to splash a bit more money about.

I think it's a neat idea. But the photos from the first post aren't $300-$500 worthy.

Find a way to make them more upscale. Not necessarily "fancier" but somehow more polished, etc. Think Rolex, iPhone levels of finish, and minimal, yet obsessive detail.

Someone would pay $300-$500 for them, but only if they are of the highest visual quality. Or some cool story associated. Something "Extra."

Needs some more "sizzle" to go with that steak...

Best of luck.

Back to the aesthetics that plasma has- the big plasma tables run big plasmas- and even with 30 amp consumables the hd units do not do as well as air plasma on gauge material. Also, they cut slower than air units with thin stock and use o2 ($$). Your acceleration matters a lot more if you want gazzilions of these.
I am on the slow side of retarded when it comes to money or bizzness so not even trying to think if product is profitable- but- if I was tasked with best way to make them with plasma looks, fast, and cheap -I would look at hot rodding a prosumer burn table with a 45 xp unit.
I would guess you have the super premium prosumer table already, put a 4x4 sheet on there and have a coke, cut time is usually the smallest time on any item.

In spite of this group's subtlety, I was able to read between the lines that there isn't much enthusiasm for this project. I agree that it's a bad idea.

In case there is any interest, here is the same motorcycle shape cut out with plasma and with laser for comparison purposes. The laser cut shape is 6" x 12" and the plasma version is 9 1/2" x 19". In the laser-cut piece, the lines were cut as narrow slots.

The narrower kerf of the laser is apparent in the little star shape in the front forks. The plasma-cut piece, having lines rather than narrow slots, has visible pierce points. The material thickness is the same for both.

Just an interesting comparison of both processes on a moderately complex shape.

Brough Superior plasma vs laser.jpg

Its not a bad idea at all. Its not a million dollar idea.

If I remember correctly, you are somewhat south of the age of dirt?
You aint dead yet.

If you want to make a living off of these, probably not going to happen.

If you want to make a few extra bucks and hang out at the farmer's market
on Saturday mornings. You can probably make a few bucks, and maybe meet some
nice people.

I guess what I'm saying is..

WHAT is your goal? Make a few bucks doing something you enjoy, or is this a purely money
making enterprise? 2 totally different things, and there is nothing wrong with either one.

there may not be much enthusiasm on here, but that means diddly jack for the market you're aiming at. Art is in the eye of the beholder and you only have to find the right market to make a mint. I agree with the comment about wine shows vs. flea markets - go with the sales venue where a high price is a POSITIVE as it's a reflection of item value and the wealth of the buyer. The downside is that it would take a fair bit of foot work to get into that market, which may or may not be worth it depending on what you want out of it.

I certainly wouldn't give up on the idea because a bunch of crusty old pragmatists don't like it :)

Back