What's new
What's new

WTB B3 Collets

techymechy

Aluminum
I bought a Bridgeport M head that is in good shape. I was hoping to get more B3 collets. I thought I'd ask if anyone in the community has some collets that they'd be willing to sell. I have pretty much what I need, but was hoping to make a complete set.

Please PM me if you have some B3 collets you'd be willing to sell.

Thanks,

Dave

SteveM

Diamond
This is going to sound flippant, but it's actually serious.

It may be cheaper to buy another head.
Someone had a set of B3 collets for something like $500-$600 - you can get a head for less.
Sell whatever B3 collets you have, part out your head, and use the money to buy a Morse taper 2 head.

Another alternative is to find a shop that makes spindles and have them make you an ER collet chuck with a shank in the shape of a B3. I had a shop make me a Morse taper 2 adapter in the shape of a Pratt & Whitney 4PN collet.

If you have a 1/2" collet, you could also get a 1/2" straight shank ER collet chuck.

Good luck in your search.

Steve

techymechy

Aluminum
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I already have a descent assortment of collets: 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, and 3/16". I was hoping that someone had some stashed away that they would sell. Man, I cannot see paying $500-$600 for a set of collets though (but maybe my expectations are incorrect). I am using this on an Hardinge TM machine. There are 3 M heads on eBay, and my head looks to be the same as the best looking one, which the guy is asking $1200.

I might try to make some when I get a few free minutes (probably after retirement).

Dave

SteveM

Diamond
Sounds like you have the important ones. Unlike a lathe, you're not going to need them in 64th, 32nds or even more than one or two 16th sizes.

An alternative is hardinge bushings, which are straight bushings with a shoulder, and four slits, alternating from the top and bottom. You can make your own or pick some up on ebay. For a while, that was all I had for my mill as I only had one collet.

HardingeBushing.jpg

I picked up my BS7 M-head for $200.

Steve

techymechy

Aluminum
Hey Steve,

I live in the land of no hobby machines. I think you live in the land of hobby machines. I paid way more than $200 for my head, but the guy who sold it was really honest and made some measurements that insured I wasn't buying a box of rocks. I'll look for the straight bushings too. I'm not in any big rush for these, but I thought I'd ask this community if there were any available. This could take years to get a complete set. I'm only missing the 7/16", 5/16" and 1/8" (which are rarely used, except for maybe the 1/8").

Dave

SteveM

Diamond
Hey Steve,

I live in the land of no hobby machines. I think you live in the land of hobby machines.

I moved from the land of hobby machines to the land of no hobby machines. Took me 8 months to find a South Bend 9a for under $2500.

I'm thinking of getting a trailer, buying some machines back east and selling them here.

Steve

techymechy

Aluminum
I moved from the land of hobby machines to the land of no hobby machines. Took me 8 months to find a South Bend 9a for under $2500.

I'm thinking of getting a trailer, buying some machines back east and selling them here.

Steve
I thought that I’d send this to the top. Still looking for B3 collets.