Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

thermite

Diamond
Looking for 6" Dia
1-3/4 ×8 tpi
Dog drive face plate

I got one here a few years back. Still in-stock:

6" Semi-Machined Threaded Back Plate 1-3/4-8 For All Plain Back Lathe Chuck A | eBay

.. for mounting a 4-J chuck to my Ellis Dividing Head.

That thread also fits a few of the old Sheldons... and a few other lathes.. or even "alleged" lathes. Shars .. and maybe Grizzly?.. also carry that size and thread.

Such plates can mount a chuck. Or be made into a driver plate.
Not at all difficult. Slot, pin-drive, or both. Up to you.

jcollings

Aluminum
Thank you so much for the info.
I did see that type of plate from shars available.
I was looking for something more OEM like pictured. The one in pitcher is not quite 6" it's only like 5 -1/2.
So I'm kind of holding off to see what I come up with otherwise I'll have to get one of the other.
Thanks again have a great rest of your weekend
32168d4c8d6435bd9a7a3d36b2e41c7b.jpg

thermite

Diamond
Thank you so much for the info.
I did see that type of plate from shars available.
I was looking for something more OEM like pictured. The one in pitcher is not quite 6" it's only like 5 -1/2.
So I'm kind of holding off to see what I come up with otherwise I'll have to get one of the other.
Thanks again have a great rest of your weekend
32168d4c8d6435bd9a7a3d36b2e41c7b.jpg

'Bent tail" dogs are not on my dance-card. Much prefer my own DIY in "bypass bar" vee-notch style. Better balance.

ELSE store-bought (salvaged, actually..) straight-tail, AKA "grinder" dogs.

All of those are better-suited to pin or stand-off yoke drive, not slot drive.

As to the size.. I bought new (and Chicom CNC'ed) because that thread size was never common, so US made used goods of quality were scarce 'back in the day" and are near-as-dammit non-existent NOW.

Thankfully, my Ellis DH/Indexer combo has a #9 B&S taper, too, and I have "lots" of goods for that, so seldom need to use the spindle threads to mount the 4-J.

Much the same with dog drivers, BTW.

Many among us chuck a chunk of stock, turn in situ for a 60-degree center, HS end. Lay the dog's tail against a chuck jaw for 'tween centers work.

Or put a yoke or pin onto a regular faceplate.

Ergo do not even OWN a bespoke dog driver plate at all.

2CW

LKeithR

Stainless
...Many among us chuck a chunk of stock, turn in situ for a 60-degree center, HS end. Lay the dog's tail against a chuck jaw for 'tween centers work...

I've machined many a part that way. Take it one step further and cut a step on end of the "centre" that goes in
the chuck, then machine your taper. With a shoulder on the centre it can't move in the chuck jaws so when
you're machining your part you can really push on it with the live centre and the part will drive from the friction
contact alone. Surprising how heavy a cut you can take with this setup. Works especially well for finishing
work because you can run higher RPMs without worrying about balancing the chuck load...

thermite

Diamond
I've machined many a part that way. Take it one step further and cut a step on end of the "centre" that goes in
the chuck, then machine your taper. With a shoulder on the centre it can't move in the chuck jaws so when
you're machining your part you can really push on it with the live centre and the part will drive from the friction
contact alone. Surprising how heavy a cut you can take with this setup. Works especially well for finishing
work because you can run higher RPMs without worrying about balancing the chuck load...

Well.. "cheating.." clearly.. but drop an auto braid-in heater-hose cut-off around the centre and crush the f**ker.

:)

Yah.. well. I do have that nice Eye-talian made - despite the Germanic name - (Baküer) face/spur-drive centre, too. Not sure they even still make those?

BAKUER

But it was waay lesser cost than a new one from "the usual" master of the universe of the center:

Face Drivers | Riten.com

Not much beats face-driving for being able to touch the ENTIRE OD of a part in one set up!

jcollings

Aluminum
Found a face plate,
thank you so much for everybody that replied. Is except the scammers