What's new
What's new

WTB: Enco Multifix B tool holder

evanthayer

Aluminum
Hi All,

I'd like an original Enco Multifix tool holder for my 10EE preferably in size B. I know there are many similar holders for sale currently but I'd prefer the unobtanium!

Thanks.

Evan

After some more kind mentoring i ask the following!

I’m looking for a turret for my 10EE and a set of mating 40-tooth tool holders. The specific turret i’m looking for is size B and is stamped on the side with “Original Multifix Type B J.F. Minder Geneva Made in Switzerland.” It is was imported to the US by Enco and it’s likely stamped with their name.

The holders i’m looking for are the Type D Tool Holder, Type H Bar Holder (preferably with the MT2 bushing K), and Type J Bushing Holder (preferably with the MT2 bushing L). For the B size turret the part numbers are, respectively, BD25110, BH32130 / BK230, and BJ40120 / BL340. I’d like a bunch of the Type D holders, and a handful of the H and J holders sets ideally. It would be nice to have the parting tool holder BT, too, if available. Heck, i’d take a boring bar type M part BM40500 if someone’s got one.

Let me know, i’m praying!

Thanks.

Evan

I have a "B" that I am going to use on my 10ee when I finish the restoration.
Previously I used the B on my 12" X 36" Clausing and it was OK.
It might be just a little big but is really no problem.

yeah - i've read a few debates on the B versus A because the B is a bit more big-boy. I am about to start on my restoration of my 1956 WIAD and I thought i'd start the tooling search now!

There is also an E which is between the A and B sizes. You might have better luck watching ebay.de or even .uk where multifix was more common. I have an unused Enco A but don't have the heart to make it truly "used". It was produced just after the Minder age but still looks a step up from what it available today. For the relatively light duty a toolroom size lathe turns, I prefer the new PeWe or even AXA clone. The post ratchets so it is easy to return to the exact setting and the old and new holders fit quite well. Holders in particular don't really benefit from the slightly better fit and finish so while I have several original ones, I supplement them with new PeWe ones. I'd rather have more holders and not need to swap tooling than worry about whether they are original. I don't know if the forces in play on a large lathe taking .5" cuts benefit from the original but the forces I put on a small lathe don't cause the clones to have issues.

I've bought several older versions, Minder, original Suisse, and Neuvo Suisse and they don't fit holders the same if used. There is some wear that occurs so you want condition to be very good if paying the upcharge. Dave

What is up with the pewe tool posts? I look online for them and see a bunch of youtube videos about them but absolutely no one selling them. Did the maker pack up, take their ball, and go home?

I have a nice used SPI "Swiss Multiquick" brand "Made in Switzerland" size B tool post. The lever is missing, but a 17 mm combination wrench will operate it. I think there should be a sheet steel washer with a pointer to indicate which of the 40 positions is in use, but it is missing.

Price $250 including insured shipping to a USA address.

Larry

DSC02963.jpg DSC02964.jpg DSC02965.jpg DSC02966.jpg DSC02967.jpg

If anyone is looking for a Swiss made size E-3 I have one for sale. No handle but in good shape with a plate on the bottom for mounting in your compound. The tag is pretty rough but I can make out the numbers 60639 and what appears to be model E-3 and the word Switzerland.

If anyone is looking for a Swiss made size E-3 I have one for sale. No handle but in good shape with a plate on the bottom for mounting in your compound. The tag is pretty rough but I can make out the numbers 60639 and what appears to be model E-3 and the word Switzerland.
I know Enco called size Aa E-1 and size A E-2, so logic says E-3 is size E.

Larry

Size B is way to big for a 10" lathe. The multi-fix design is very stiff and the A size is more than stiff enough. If you use a B size , you will lose the ability to use a larger tool larger than about 5/16 because the tool holder will not mount low enough. I use the B size on my 18 x 54 L&S because the C is too large and heavy. I use a 1/2" spacer to achieve lathe center yet I have no problem taking 1/2 DOC in steel. I successfully use an A size on my SB 10 and it is more than adequate.

Perhaps these photos will help to see just how big the Multifix turrets really are. I put a nickel on each one for reference.

Size A mounted on a 9" Hendey - fits perfect! I have another A size on a heavy 10 South Bend which works very well.
20211212_091319.jpg

Size B on a 16" Hendey, I put a short spacer under it and it has been perfect. The machine will swing 18.5" and could use either B or C but like Steve already mentioned the B is more that strong enough for heavy cuts plus the holders are lighter and cheaper.
20211212_091216.jpg

Size C sitting on the bench. It's a beast!
20211212_091803.jpg

From left to right an AH2090, BH32130 and CH4160 boring bar holders. The A and B you can hold in one hand, C is a two hand job to change out.
20211212_092005.jpg

Looking at the size chart an E seems like a great fit on a Monarch 10EE but an A will also work, perhaps with a short spacer depending on your tooling size.

Hope this helps put things into perspective. It's one thing to look at the charts with all the numbers but you really get sense of their size once in your hands.

Back