What's new
What's new

WTB: Perkins Precision spring coiler

Freedommachine

Stainless
The early models were also sold under the name Perkins Machine and Gear.

If you have one of these machines and you would consider selling it, I would like to hear from you. Thanks!

Perkins-presision-spring-coiler-power-model-20048-partpic.jpg42886-A.jpgs-l640.jpgfPerkins_precision_spring_coiler_winder___5e75d45f03480.jpg

Trying to find an original manual or scan is harder than finding a machine.
The machine is cheaper. I just found one on fleabay and wish I had an original manual.

This guy is nuts~

https://www.tzsupplies.com/original-vintage-perkins-brand-precision-i4712042/
Yeah that's insane lol. I like how the site has two buttons "contact seller" and "complain" 😂.

The ad references ebay. I'd bet $ that site scalps ebay ads and generates a price they know no one would pay in order to make their site look active and scam and marketing agencies.

Its refreshing to see they actually existed , now to find the correct manual.
My Perkins winder is missing a couple rolls / wire guides I will have to make but at least I will have a working machine.

Its refreshing to see they actually existed , now to find the correct manual.
My Perkins winder is missing a couple rolls / wire guides I will have to make but at least I will have a working machine.

Shouldn't be too bad, at least the parts look easy enough to make. This is one machine I can't believe China didn't make knock-off's of.

I haven't found anyone willing to part with one yet, it's a waiting game for now.

Thx for the correct users manual.
It's was a missing piece.

The machine casting if a remake was using steel or iron would be the major part followed by the bevel wheel drive gears. Everything else is straight forward to make.

I agree, I am floored that someone never copied it especially with the original company long gone and patents expired.

The graduation marks / reference marks on the side for pitch (?) are a nice touch. I will be adding something similar to mine when I clean it up. Beautiful machine.

Were you able to find one of these?
I also started looking for one but have since decided to make one

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 25
I have not found one yet. Did you make that model?
Bummer, I started looking as well and yes I did make the model. I am first working on it as a 5/8 scale and want to see what size wire it can push. I dont have casting knowledge so im designing with the intent of milling the main body. I intend to CAD up the other version as well if i can get this one working. Im happy to share any of it.

Bummer, I started looking as well and yes I did make the model. I am first working on it as a 5/8 scale and want to see what size wire it can push. I dont have casting knowledge so im designing with the intent of milling the main body. I intend to CAD up the other version as well if i can get this one working. Im happy to share any of it.

Nice! I would certainly be interested thank you!

This would be an excellent project to prototype with a 3D printer. Maybe the 3D printed housing could be used to make a casting? I don't have knowledge about casting design either, I am just thinking out loud.

Nice CAD work by the way!

I think 3d prints could handle some of the force but I would not expect too much. To the casting idea I will look into the polystyrene idea thx.
Here is the current file i am working on although I have not added a thrust bearing yet and a few things like the cam system need to change to be more true to the Perkins.
let me know if you do 3d print or cast it i would love to know how it comes out

Attachments

• perkins spring coiler version v24.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
  • perkins spring coiler render 1.png
    perkins spring coiler render 1.png
    535.1 KB · Views: 6
Castings and patterns are not really something to avoid, btw. I don't know why people are so scared of them.

I love castings and great patternmakers are artists.

I hate foundries though. Foundries suck. I have $45k in patterns I don't use anymore because I can't find a foundry worth a shit.

I have been playing with my Perkins winder and the feed rolls and wire guides definitely need to be heat treated steel.
Clamping pressure between the rolls is moderate hand pressure on the 4" clamp screw but VERY important to drive the wire. The only other high loaded part is the worm drive and bronze gear that drives both feed rolls.

Back