What's new
What's new

WTB: Sunnen/Superior/Tennessee Hone Adapter

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I am looking for an adapter to use Superior hones in a Sunnen MBB honing machine. Superior made them with model# _-1000, there is a letter where that underline is, sorry I forget the letter. Tennessee Abrasives also makes one, model# T-1000 (I can buy a new one today, just trying to avoid the new cost).

I've searched ebay for past year with no luck, maybe these did not have a part# on them, idk. So if you have a Sunnen machine, and there is some strange adapter that fits spindle but your tooling does not fit it, that might be the part I need.

If anyone out there has this part and does not need it, please let me know.

This video shows what the part I'm looking for looks like.
YouTube

I've had 2 over the years that came with collections of mandrels, but both got sold. They do appear on ebay with some frequency, if you can wait long enough you'll find one.

Bump, still looking for this tool, not finding one on ebay, would prefer not to buy a new one as it will kill my cost savings, and as soon as I do there will be a glut of used ones available. If you have one of these that your not using, I'm looking.

A few years ago it was $350 for a new one, scared to get a price quote today. No idea what a used one goes for, as I've never found one. Did you find one?
I 'discovered' them, searched for one, found this thread, then found this one. A bit narley but took a chance and ordered it Friday. Not sure if they have just one or maybe more??

Dad had one of them he clobbered together from parts of a spindle assy from a S-H years ago. It worked. That's about all I can say about it. The only reason he had the adapter, he could get the S-H mandrels and stones a hundred times cheaper than what Sunnen wanted for a mandrel and still have to buy stones!
The hone and all of the mandrels we had went to another home when we shut down the shop 20 years ago.

I 'discovered' them, searched for one, found this thread, then found this one. A bit narley but took a chance and ordered it Friday. Not sure if they have just one or maybe more??
When you get that adapter please let me know if there are any part#s or names on it, the fact I've never found one on ebay makes me think I'm searching wrong, or maybe its not marked at all so no one knows what it is.

Well the adapter showed up yesterday. A bit shop worn, but probably very usable. Unfortunately, there is only the name on it, Superior, not the Tennessee abrasives version. No other numbers or such. There is not much to it really. Now with a sample, probably could copy it without much difficulty, but also don't need more than one. Pics attached.

IMG_20230203_125200955.jpgIMG_20230203_124902880.jpgIMG_20230203_124837936.jpg

Here is one of my MA machines, need to make an 'oil pan' for it.
IMG_20230202_224501203.jpg

Elaborate

Sorry, didn't see this. The superior stones are way wider than the sunnen and there's two of them opposed instead of just one, so they have a lot more tendency to grab. If you are holding the part to stroke it and the bore isn't very long, and the outside of the part has edges, like a sprocket, the superior will shred your hands.

On the plus side, healthy blood against that dark honing oil looks spectacular.

After having one, I think they are great for the special things they are good at - bores with keyways, splines, that kind of thing - but for normal use I'd steer clear.

Or get some of those really strong grippy gloves :)

Sorry, didn't see this. The superior stones are way wider than the sunnen and there's two of them opposed instead of just one, so they have a lot more tendency to grab. If you are holding the part to stroke it and the bore isn't very long, and the outside of the part has edges, like a sprocket, the superior will shred your hands.

On the plus side, healthy blood against that dark honing oil looks spectacular.

After having one, I think they are great for the special things they are good at - bores with keyways, splines, that kind of thing - but for normal use I'd steer clear.

Or get some of those really strong grippy gloves :)
That's what the torque reaction bar is for. All honing machines are equipped with them....or should be. I will be dealing with keyways in bores, so the Superior tooling is attractive in that respect.

Back