What's new
What's new

WTB VMC ,4020 Fadal or Similar

goldenfab

Cast Iron
Looking for a 4020 Fadal or similar. I'm located in central AZ. I do mostly prototype work on a CNC knee mill with R8 collets and I need something with a tool changer.
Will consider a fixer upper. I'm not opposed to an older good piece of iron that needs a control retrofit.

You don't need a control retrofit unless your doing very complex 3D durfacing and time is an issue. I have -4 controls, and it's more then adequate for complex 3D surfacing.
The -5 is better, but I've had no desire to upgrade.

-------------------------------------------------

If I did it all over again I'd be inclined to get the 4020A linear rail machine. I have machines with Turcite and I'm dreading the day I might have to replace the Turcite. With linear rails it's a weekends work at best.

-------------------------------------------------

get a fixer upper if all it needs is thrust bearings. When it starts getting into Turcite/lead screws /spindles etc it will start to add up. Unless it's a steal ($2-3K)

----------------------------------------------------

Make sure it has the extended Z, you'll be cursing to high heaven if you don't, especially if you add a 4th axis to the machine

There's a Fadal thread by Speedie that has a lot of fadal details

I have a Fadal VMC 4020 for sale. I'm out in Salem, VA. It is a 1995 and in good shape. PM me if you are interested.

I have a 97 4020 HT with the 28” Z I need gone. I’m up in Washington so kinda driving distance. It would be perfect for a Nxgen control as all the mechanicals are good it just needs a control. I posted in the Fadal forum with more info.

I found a '94 Fadal 4020HT with extended 28" Z and rigid tapping. It is local and I got to see it under power and poke around with it. I removed the way covers and looked at the turcite. It has some miles on it but it seemed like a decent machine and the small shop I bought it from was neat and tidy and they seemed like they took care of their equipment and keep up on maintenance. I got some copies of maintenance records and talked to the Fadal tech who had been working on it and everything I knew to check seemed ok so I bought it. Still waiting for delivery.

Anyways I'm still waiting for that DM4500 which the more I think about it I don't need another project. I'm thinking I would be better off with a lathe or better VMC that isn't a project. This came up locally https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/tls/d/prescott-kitamura-sonic-mill-3x-cnc/7576040041.html

Any thoughts? It says its been upgraded to a 15M control. Still pretty outdated? But would run circles around the Fadal?

If appearances count for anything, I'd be headed that way with cash in hand. Might be able to bargain down a bit but otherwise, that thing looks very very clean.
Those were my thoughts too. Looks amazingly clean!

I sent the guy a message and he got back to me. Its only a half hour drive from me, its in a residential area so presumably not getting beat up running 3 shifts hence the condition. He said its making parts. I just might go check it out. The things is I don't even have parts for the Fadal to make. I technically have the cash and could swing it but I need to come up with a way to justify to myself and my wife that its a sound decision to buy a second spindle when I don't have work for one.

As far as I can tell that model is discontinued. I don't know anything about Kitamura but its a Japaneses brand right? So I'm assuming its top-tier? If anyone has any info on parts availability and such I'm all ears.

The things is I don't even have parts for the Fadal to make.

Oops, I missed the "so I bought it" part, thought you were still looking. My suggestion then would be "love the one you're with" :D Go make some stuff.

You can spend the rest of your life swapping machines around, which can be fun, but not very productive. Don't ask how I know.

Buying for the sake of buying machines is a tough row to hoe. Especially if they're a project.

However, if I were in your shoes I would probably consider doing it like this- Forget that dynamechawhatever junk. If the Kitamura is as nice as it looks give it a home next to the Fadal.

Then instead of a waste of time project dynamechathing you spent a little coin on a production machine ready to rip.

The biggest reason I would buy it in your shoes would be to get a real first hand understanding of what the effective, real world difference is between a Fadal and an older nice machine. They would share tooling and the Fadal has more travel if you need it.

Then add a good mid 90's lathe, preferably with a Fanuc 15T,16T,18T or 21T so boards and drives and procedures are all swappable between it and the Kitamura for any troubleshooting/repairs you might need to do down the road.

That Kit would give you Fanuc experience, it's fast enough to run lots of parts and do high speed toolpaths easily and those controls are very well supported. Whatever lathe you buy isn't going to be a Fadal. So think about that.

Looking for a 4020 Fadal or similar. I'm located in central AZ. I do mostly prototype work on a CNC knee mill with R8 collets and I need something with a tool changer.
Will consider a fixer upper. I'm not opposed to an older good piece of iron that needs a control retrofit.
Are you still interested in a fadal?I have a fadal on my floor 4020. Located in Colorado. Let me know and I can send more information

Back