What's new
What's new

WTB Wells-Index 45 mechanical table feed bronze worm gear

jmm03

Hot Rolled
I know that they are available from Wells, a bit too pricey unfortunately at this time. Any help would be appreciated. A print of it or the spec's might help to fab one up or get it made commercially if anyone has that. Thanks, Jim

4GSR

Diamond
If it's of any help, most of the gearing that Well=Index used in their earlier mills was made from stock gears from Globe, Boston Gear, and other sources. Might try to match up your worm and gear to something that may be available from stock. BTW- what did they quote you for price?

jmm03

Hot Rolled
thanks for the tip 4G, I am trying to figure out some of the measurements but the worm is worn to almost nothing. It does have 20 teeth,(well, there are 20 bumps that were teeth at one time...) I believe they want 400 bucks for a new one. Jim

4GSR

Diamond
If you have a dividing head, it would be very easy to make a worm gear. You would have to grind a fly cutter to cut the teeth. It won't be a prefect helix but would get you close enough to having "real" teeth engaging the worm instead of what you have now. I think I have a similar gear on the feed mechanism on my Index 645 mill. If it ever craps out, it will all get replaced with one of many servo drives for sale out there. My dad and I made one way back in time to replace a worn out one on a lathe apron we offered to rebuild for someone. We actually made a hob that we rigged up on the lathe to form the helix on the gear. It worked! Never had the opportunity ever again to make another. And no, I don't have the time to make one for you. Sorry, Ken