What's new
What's new

Xometry selling out???

It appears to be surplus equipment from their acquisition of Big Blue Saw. They have likely been sitting on this stuff for several years.

I’m more surprised that Xometry owns any manufacturing equipment to begin with. Every Xometry rep I’ve ever spoken to was clear that they don’t want to be Protolabs, who actually makes stuff, and domestically at that. They want to be the sales department and maybe paperwork side of the QA department for every shop in the world.

I’m more surprised that Xometry owns any manufacturing equipment to begin with. Every Xometry rep I’ve ever spoken to was clear that they don’t want to be Protolabs, who actually makes stuff, and domestically at that. They want to be the sales department and maybe paperwork side of the QA department for every shop in the world.
They bought out I believe two local material companies when they first started the supplies side, I occasionally ordered material from them, they were very reasonably priced and had quick lead times. They closed them both and decided to just source material from multiple suppliers.

They do have a machine shop in house, or did at one point. But I believe you are correct, they aren't looking to do in house work, from my understanding it is for support and rework that is quicker for them to just do in house.

Back